Western Scout Knife

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
JAMESMJ18

Western Scout Knife

Post by JAMESMJ18 »

Hi to all.

My dad bought this knife for me in a flea market for a really good price because its in really good condition.

So can you tell me the year that this knife was made?.

And how much do you thik its worth?.

Thank you!!
Attachments
IMG_0379.JPG
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Western Scout Knife

Post by philco »

If you could post a photo showing a clear view of the tang stamp it might help some of these folks figure out an approximate age of your knife.

Those Westerns were built strong and have really good blade steel. I've got one very similar to that one that I won on Ebay for about $30.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
trutemper

Post by trutemper »

Nice ole Western! Love that big spear with the swedge....my fav type of Master blade!

Bob
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

James, I recently picked this one up on eBay for $20 + shipping. I think you'll enjoy it.

I kipped the picture out of the listing. Just too lazy to take my own.
Attachments
Western Scout Mark Open.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”