? WEST-CUT. Puuko ?

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Thomasg

? WEST-CUT. Puuko ?

Post by Thomasg »

Blade 5 3/8 length 10 3/8 . Covers black . I have never seen black as listed as a color for Tentite covers .? Is it possible that black tentie covers were only used on knifes with the WEST-Cut tang stamped knifes ? The OP. knife looks factory and un tampered with . The spacers are identical to the spacers used on the Puuko knifes with western tang stamping .Did western states have a celluloid type handle material other than tentite that came in a black color ? Has anyone ever seen a WEST-CUT puuko listed in a catalog page or outdoor magazine? It would be nice to get a date of manufacture.
Puuko tang stamp
Puuko tang stamp
WEST-CUT. Puuko
WEST-CUT. Puuko
Side by side with my only tentite covered knife
Side by side with my only tentite covered knife
zzyzzogeton

Re: ? WEST-CUT. Puuko ?

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The Western puukos were only made in 1941. The model number for your knife would have been 68BG.

Black is not listed in TKMWWW as one of the handle options, but Western had already been making black bakelite handled knives for nearly 10 years by this time. I believe these have bakelite handles, not tenite, as I have never seen one with any of the shrinkage/cracking issues that can develop in tenite. I have one identical to yours sitting in a tub out in the shop and it show zero indications of shrinking or deteriorating.

If we ever come across an advertisement for these black handled 68BGs (or the slightly shorter 58BGs), it would not surprise me to see a different model number on them, such as BX68 or BX68BG or Bx68BG. The reason, if so found, would be that BX and Bx were the model number handle codes for bakelite handled knives from 1931 to 1943, the last BX knife was the Bx54 Bushman, Western's authorized clone of the Collins #18 Pequeno Machete, used in AAC bailout bags, and the direct "ancestor" of the W49 Bowie.
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:40 pm The Western puukos were only made in 1941. The model number for your knife would have been 68BG.

Black is not listed in TKMWWW as one of the handle options, but Western had already been making black bakelite handled knives for nearly 10 years by this time. I believe these have bakelite handles, not tenite, as I have never seen one with any of the shrinkage/cracking issues that can develop in tenite. I have one identical to yours sitting in a tub out in the shop and it show zero indications of shrinking or deteriorating.

If we ever come across an advertisement for these black handled 68BGs (or the slightly shorter 58BGs), it would not surprise me to see a different model number on them, such as BX68 or BX68BG or Bx68BG. The reason, if so found, would be that BX and Bx were the model number handle codes for bakelite handled knives from 1931 to 1943, the last BX knife was the Bx54 Bushman, Western's authorized clone of the Collins #18 Pequeno Machete, used in AAC bailout bags, and the direct "ancestor" of the W49 Bowie.
Once again I thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge of western knifes .
Rockingkj
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rockingkj »

Here is my Puuko. Obviously Western but marked “RANGER” with black handle. Anyone else seen one like this?
5623CD80-E030-4942-AD12-5470CF559799.jpeg
787E36F5-A9DE-4F76-8E4B-8407764F89A2.jpeg
You can always get more money, good old knives are hard to find.
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Rockingkj wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:16 am Here is my Puuko. Obviously Western but marked “RANGER” with black handle. Anyone else seen one like this?5623CD80-E030-4942-AD12-5470CF559799.jpeg787E36F5-A9DE-4F76-8E4B-8407764F89A2.jpeg
Nope .Nice find .I have known for some time that western had contract knifes that were tang stamped ranger . your knife is the only ranger I have seen ! Being that it is a puuko that would mean that your knife was made around if not only in the year 1941.That tells me that the ranger knifes have been around longer than I might have expected .the ranger tang stamp is a one I have been seeking for awhile .would you be so kind as to tell me what part of the country you found the knife in ? I have not found much information on where or who offered the western made ranger knifes for purchase .Also if you could add your knife to the tang stamp chart post that would be great .
Rockingkj
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rockingkj »

The knife came from an auction in Alabama. In fact the auction did not picture the marking but called it a Western Knife. Was surprised when I got it a saw the Ranger mark.
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Rockingkj wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:22 pm The knife came from an auction in Alabama. In fact the auction did not picture the marking but called it a Western Knife. Was surprised when I got it a saw the Ranger mark.
Thank you for your reply.I think my sheath originally should have had a wood insert inside .does your sheath have an insert ? I got the west- cut from E-Bay shipped from ohio .thanks.
Rockingkj
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rockingkj »

No insert in mine and does not look like it ever did.
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Rockingkj wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:42 am No insert in mine and does not look like it ever did.
Thanks .😊

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”