Western States folding hunter with stag handles

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Bret888

Re: Western States folding hunter with stag handles

Post by Bret888 »

I like that knife. I bet he did too, and didn't want to lose it. My dad used to paint axes wedges etc. for that reason.
stvb

Post by stvb »

I have a Western States pocket knife that belonged to my late uncle and I would like to learn a bit about the knife. The single blade is quite worn and has a wooden handle. If you can provide me a possible manufacture date and a little history it would be appreciated. Just guessing, the knife may have been purchased around 1940.
IMG-20120820-00018.jpg
IMG-20120820-00019.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

They finished their first building in Boulder, Colorado in 1918. They stopped calling their selves Western States on their letterheads in 1942. Your pattern would have been made probably every year in between those dates. That is the best I can do.
stvb

Post by stvb »

Thank you.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”