Intrigued then Disappointed

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Intrigued then Disappointed

Post by jerryd6818 »

As most of you know, I have a bias against knives originating in the Pacific Rim countries BUT once in a great while one will intrigue to the degree that I end up buying it. Such was the case with these two knives. They sat on my watch list for more than a month and I couldn't take my eye off them. Finally I decided I'd wasted $20 (for both) on a lot less and caved.

Knowing full well that I'd never carry either one, I could picture in my mind's eye having a need for the built in tools and having it right there in my pocket. My brain sure takes some odd twists during the justification process.

This one was $8.72 shipped. Not a huge deal but the worm thumb adjuster for the Kentucky Socket Set (adjustable wrench) tool has about 1/8" of slop, back and forth, in it. The second and most serious fault is the screwdriver blade lock. It doesn't. The liner lock is just a smidge (that's an RCH for some of you folks) too long and won't snap into place behind the blade tang. At 5-3/8" closed, I don't see anyone carrying one in their jean's pocket so it's just a little (lot) big for EDC. The pull on both blades is 8+. On the very border of nail buster country. Main blade is sharp though. Paper slicing sharp so that's a plus but in my opinion the only one.
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (19.13 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
The second one was $11.15 shipped. Out of the box, the springs on this one are about 20% stronger than needed. The main blade isn't bad at about a 6-7 but a picture of the secondary blade is in the dictionary under "nail buster". Not only is it a nail breaker of the first degree, it's a very odd combination. They've taken a pen secondary blade and re-profiled the tip as a screwdriver but leaving a 1" cutting edge on a 1-5/16" blade. ::uc:: The little bugger is just flat out dangerous. The pull on the pliers is strong but not outrageous. However, the joint on the pliers is as loose as a goose. I think I can fix it with a hammer so it's not an electrical problem. The pin at the joint just needs to be peened a little bit. The odd thing about the pliers is the spring. There are two of them side by side like a whittler where the main rides on two springs but at the other end the secondary blades ride on the individual springs only on this knife there are no secondary blades at the other end, just the pliers using two springs. Weird. Like the other one, the main came paper slicing sharp. F&F on both knives is as good as any new knife but I can't get Harbor Freight out of my mind.

I still find both knives intriguing but I don't see myself ever carrying or using either one of them.
Attachments
s-l16010.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
deltaboy

Re: Intrigued then Disappointed

Post by deltaboy »

Sad you got ones with issues. I had good luck with RR.
Keep Near the Cross.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I have been tempted by that RR with the wrench: I guess I will pass on it. Thanks for the review, Jerry. It is funny that they go to effort for good fit and finish, then slack off on the really important stuff. I have a couple of China knives like that.
Mel
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

DB, It is. Actually a first for me. I bought some early on that were fine. ::shrug::

Mel, if someone really wanted one, I'm sure I could be talked into passing it on at no cost to the receiver. (hint, hint)
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

"Kentucky socket set"? I've never heard that term, but I'll tell ya it sho looks a lot nicer than some of my socket sets. Lol

We say smidge too, and scosh. Although I'm not sure which one is smaller.

I appreciate some of the patters RR puts out. I've just never been satisfied with the metal in them, and I can't get over the country of origin either.

Pretty knives though.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

I like that acorn shield...and RCH, lol. I need to get out more, ain't heard that in a coon's age
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mike, I too like that acorn shield. ::nod::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Don't feel too bad, Jerry, at least you weren't intrigued enough to separate yourself from cash for one of these...this is probably the knife purchase I'm most disgusted with myself for. Too heavy for carry, unless I make a belt sheath- and don't see myself carrying this one, anyway. Trade?
Attachments
P6180081.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Oh, thanks anyway Mike. I think I'm okay. :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Tangent alert.
jerryd6818 wrote:Finally I decided I'd wasted $20 (for both) on a lot less and caved.
I believe the worst $20 that I ever spent was for my wife and me to tour the wax museum in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/24194
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/51505

Jerry H that looks like a rousing tour certainly. I also noticed in the link above another must see spot and it's in Cherry Log, Ga. not to far from my house. I'll have to put that one on my agenda as well.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Greg, grab a towel. You have a little sarcasm dripping off your chin there.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Ha! Just can't help myself sometimes Jerryd.
Maybe I' just traveled Route 66 to many times.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Glad my RR have been Great. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

SteelMyHeart85420 wrote:Don't feel too bad, Jerry, at least you weren't intrigued enough to separate yourself from cash for one of these...this is probably the knife purchase I'm most disgusted with myself for. Too heavy for carry, unless I make a belt sheath- and don't see myself carrying this one, anyway. Trade?
Is that doing the backstroke?
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: I'll just stick with my S.A.K.s. from the Alantic rim. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"

Return to “Chinese-made knives”