Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
montemojo

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by montemojo »

I bought two RR rigging knives. I used them when I was building powerlines. I used the marlin spike to finish putting preforms on guide wire. The locks on both failed in less than a week. The reason I bought two was because I thought the first might have been a dud. The back spring on the marlin spike side failed on both knives. The cutting blade was fine. Tried two smith and wesson china made hawkbills with marlin spikes they failed also. The old Kabar rigging knife worked great, still does.

Monte
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

montemojo wrote:I bought two RR rigging knives. I used them when I was building powerlines. I used the marlin spike to finish putting preforms on guide wire. The locks on both failed in less than a week. The reason I bought two was because I thought the first might have been a dud. The back spring on the marlin spike side failed on both knives. The cutting blade was fine. Tried two smith and wesson china made hawkbills with marlin spikes they failed also. The old Kabar rigging knife worked great, still does.

Monte
Thanks for the report, Monte. I guess the RRs with marline spikes may not be too good, based on your experience. Did the job you were using them on put a lot of stress on the spike spring?
TripleF wrote: I just so happen to have a couple and I think I'll add them to my EDC rotation!
Good looking knives, there, Scott!

Here is a little RR that I keep in my tackle box. Mainly it is there in case I forget my normal fish knife. It has been used some, and exposed to saltwater many times over period of a year. Note that the blades do have a bit of rust. I have not cleaned it other than rinsing it in saltwater so I guess the rust is reasonable.
Attachments
Rough Rider after a year of saltwater.
Rough Rider after a year of saltwater.
Mel
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Hi Dan, yes building powerlines is very hard on tools and workers. There were all kinds of uses for a marlin spike, such as separating choker cables, making up preforms on guide wire and so on. The only promlem was the marlin spike. The blade was fine worked well skinning underground wire. I dont do linework anymore that's a young mans job. I think the lock release may have pulled the spring past its limitations. The Kabar did fine. I never tried a camillus or a schrade. I've heard that schrade had a problem with their marlin spike lock years ago. Well I guess I would have to try one to know for sure

Thanks Monte
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Love all my RR Knifes so far. ::tu:: Great buy for the money.
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Got a Barlow on the way.
Keep Near the Cross.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I bought my first Rough Riders in 2007. Most were under $10 shipped at that time. I bought the first one because i could not believe any knife no matter how bad could be made shipped marketed sold & delivered for $10. I was amazed by the very good knife i received and thought it was a fluke. I bought a few more (always on ebay) and same thing: very good knives and what i liked best: very sharp edges, unlike the Queen & Case knives i had been buying. So i posted in BF about RR knives being very good even though it did not seem possible for the extremely low price. I was told to shut up about Chinese Crap by many members and a moderator. So i did not post anymore RR's for about 4-5 years but i kept buying them and now i have about 250 (?). Not even one has blade play and every one has shaving sharp blades.
What i find interesting is that i get as much enjoyment and feeling of satisfaction from getting a new RR as i do from receiving a new GEC, or Northwoods, etc., knives that cost more than ten times as much.
I have given quite a few RR's as surprise gifts to unsuspecting people and they are so pleased. Often it is the first truly sharp blade they have ever used and this sharp cutting bonds them to the knife & it becomes 'special'.
Whomever the owners are of Rough Rider knives, they have done a great deal towards the appreciation of Traditional style pocket knives.
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I've been under the impression that the owners of the Rough Rider brand is Smokey Mountain Knife Works. Am I wrong?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

kootenay joe wrote: What i find interesting is that i get as much enjoyment and feeling of satisfaction from getting a new RR as i do from receiving a new GEC, or Northwoods, etc., knives that cost more than ten times as much.kj
There is a special satisfaction to unwrapping a new knife, be it ever so cheap! When I get a $100 knife it is a special treat to be savored and displayed. When I get a $15 knife it is a special treat to be shoved in my pocket and used. One thing I can say is that I have never regretted getting a new Rough Rider.
jerryd6818 wrote:I've been under the impression that the owners of the Rough Rider brand is Smokey Mountain Knife Works. Am I wrong?
Good question Jerry! But then the question is: who owns Smokey Mountain Knife Works?
Mel
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Recently got a Rough Rider trapper so I could see what the discussion is about. Also have a canoe on the way. So I find this a perfectly useable knife. I was drawn to this as my first RR because Kentucky is on the orange and black shield along with Coal Miner. Don't know what the symbol of the owl is doing there. It seems unlikely to be the state bird. Blades are nice and tight; and sharp. The fit of bolster and scales is unrefined. A solid value; should provide years of effective use.
P1010345.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

That looks like an "Owl Head" shield. See Owd Wullie's post (with picture) here --- viewtopic.php?t=13256
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks for the info Jerry. I gather the owl usage is a carry over from German predecessors. Well, imitation is the sincerest form.....etc.etc.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Quick Steel wrote:Recently got a Rough Rider trapper so I could see what the discussion is about. Also have a canoe on the way. So I find this a perfectly useable knife. I was drawn to this as my first RR because Kentucky is on the orange and black shield along with Coal Miner. Don't know what the symbol of the owl is doing there. It seems unlikely to be the state bird. Blades are nice and tight; and sharp. The fit of bolster and scales is unrefined. A solid value; should provide years of effective use.
Quick Steel - what makes you think that the Owl Head is a Rough Rider? Does it have RR stamp on the blade? I have an Owl Head knife which is very similar to my Rough Riders and may well have come from the same factory, but it does not have RR anywhere on the knife. By the way, I got this knife because of the Friends of Coal on the handle. The company where I work does a lot of work for coal handling facilities.
Owlhead2.jpg
Mel
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Dinadan: A well intentioned but evidently misinformed person informed me that the Owl Head brand was a RR under a different name. In a few day I should have a true RR to examine. ::doh::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Owl Head were German made knives for a few years and then became a China made brand. I used to have quite a few of both, German & Chinese made ones. They are decent but i think Rough Riders are a consistently better knife.
kj
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Weren't the old Iver Johnson pistols called "Owl Heads"? Did they also produce knives back in the day? Just a thought :) .
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Got a Yellow RR BARLOW.
Keep Near the Cross.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

This little RR canliter (sp?) came in yesterday. The master blade opens smoothly enough but closing the blade takes some real effort.
P1010362 (1).JPG
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Rough Riders might be the best deal out there for a working man.
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Got another Barlow in Yellow . ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote deltaboy: "Rough Riders might be the best deal out there for a working man"
I agree.
Despite the low price of Rough Riders, they are tuff and they arrive very sharp, edge hold much longer than you expect and are easy to re-sharpen. And the low price means when you loose it you can replace it with about 1/2 hr worth of wages.
kj
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

kootenay joe wrote:Quote deltaboy: "Rough Riders might be the best deal out there for a working man"
I agree.
Despite the low price of Rough Riders, they are tuff and they arrive very sharp, edge hold much longer than you expect and are easy to re-sharpen. And the low price means when you loose it you can replace it with about 1/2 hr worth of wages.
kj

I agree they are solid and nearly addictive. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

" I agree they are solid and nearly addictive."
Good to know why it is i have about 300 of them. Thanks !
kj
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Santa's dropping off a RR Gunstock for me this year! ::nod:: ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

RR's seem to be gaining in popularity and acceptance in knife circles.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Neat looking little whittler, Quick Steel. I have been tempted by those myself.

Scott - we need a review of that Gunstock when it comes! With lots of photos!

Here is a Barlow that I just got. When my wife and I go fishing she never takes a knife. When I asked why, she told me that all her knives have sentimental value because I gave them to her. I ordered this Rough Rider to drop in her stocking so she can have a cheap knife with no sentimental value to take fishing. Somehow, I suspect that she will think that this knife is also too nice to use, plus it is also a gift. The handle is said to be artificial abalone. Looks pretty good to me, though I cannot say that it looks at all like abalone!
Attachments
Rough <br />Rough Rider Barlow
Rough
Rough Rider Barlow
Rough Rider Barlow
Rough Rider Barlow
Mel

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”