best made cinaese made knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
old timer1990

best made cinaese made knives

Post by old timer1990 »

What would be the best made chinases made knives I don't like spending a lot of money on them but their are so many of them out there that its hard to not look at them and I really don't like them at all but they are out there so I would like to know the best ones. Thanks
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: best made cinaese made knives

Post by zed6309 »

old timer1990 wrote:What would be the best made chinases made knives I don't like spending a lot of money on them but their are so many of them out there that its hard to not look at them and I really don't like them at all but they are out there so I would like to know the best ones. Thanks

i like rough riders as very well made for the price, next for me would be kissing cranes as again very well made, timber wolf are ok there is a congress ive shown in this forum today, although the fit n finnish isnt as good on the barlow timber wold so poss QC issue, but i ont have 2 of them, shcrade are ok , ok elk ridge again solid for the money packaging not nice but again pretty cheap, some you get more for your money in my opinion and think rough riders are around thebest and most popular, plus lots of different models,

here are a few laid out ,not the buck 303 at the top ,
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
SC1052

Post by SC1052 »

I have several Rough Riders and they are very impressive. I also own a Winchester that is probably more impressive in weight, size and blade sharpness. The RR's and Winchesters are razor sharp straight out of the box. I've been using the Winchester as my EDU for about two weeks now and it is holding up very, very well. I'm not geo political or anything, I own several vintage Case's, John Primble Belknap's and other USA made knives but due to expense and razor sharpness I'm using the Winchester and RR's or EDU.
My Winchester is pictured below.
Attachments
Winchester
Winchester
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

SC1052 wrote:I have several Rough Riders and they are very impressive. I also own a Winchester that is probably more impressive in weight, size and blade sharpness. The RR's and Winchesters are razor sharp straight out of the box. I've been using the Winchester as my EDU for about two weeks now and it is holding up very, very well. I'm not geo political or anything, I own several vintage Case's, John Primble Belknap's and other USA made knives but due to expense and razor sharpness I'm using the Winchester and RR's or EDU.
my elk ridge looks very similar to your winchester, possibly same factory ? its is hefty like yours and well made plus very sharp
Paul,

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Paul.. I am liken that Elk.. Looks good!! John ::tu::
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

I like the Boker Magnums - ya can even get 'em in stag!
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
old timer1990

Post by old timer1990 »

I just got my first rough rider knife in today I am quite impressed with it. I will try to get some pic of it later this afternoon :mrgreen:
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

old timer1990 wrote:I just got my first rough rider knife in today I am quite impressed with it. I will try to get some pic of it later this afternoon :mrgreen:
::tu:: look forward to seeing it, what model did you go for :D
Paul,

old timer1990

Post by old timer1990 »

I got the smooth red bone stockman the number is RR 437
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

A Chinese made brand I've not seen mentioned much, but one that has impressed me for its quality is the Boker Plus line of knives. I sent one to a knifer friend of mine a few months back to take for a test drive. He had never owned a Chinese made knife. I wanted him to put it in his pocket and use it for a while and let me know his thoughts on it. He has told me that he's very impressed with the knife and that it took and held an edge very well. After a month or so I asked him what he found lacking in the knife and he told me "I can't find anything wrong with it." I can tell you the fit and finish on them is excellent and I like many of the patterns they have out. I suspect they are using a bit better quality of steel than what's found in the Rough Rider line but I'm no expert on knife steels.
The best Chinese made knife that I own is a Spyderco Tenacious. The overall quality of that knife is outstanding and I really enjoy having it as part of my EDC rotation.

Phil

PS For the sake of full disclosure I will say I have some of the Boker Plus knives for sale in my store, but I also have other Chinese made brands as well.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

You're right Phil. I have a few Boker Plus also. Some of them are still made in Tiawan, so I didn't think about them. I have a Trapper and FISKMUK made in China, and the AK74 made in Tiawan. All Boker Plus. They are really good. The AK is made from AUS8 and the Fiskmuk is 440C.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
basser5

Post by basser5 »

This is the "test knife" that Phil is referring to. His statements are correct about the quality of Boker plus. The knife has excellent fit and finish, very nice colored jigged bone scales, and came to me very sharp. I used the knife on everything from cutting rope , rubber automotive hoses, and even shaving hardwood just to dull it. I resharpened it on a Lansky sharpener and found the steel a little hard (as i hoped it would be) but it took a great edge again. At the time of this test , I told Phil that i have never bought a China made knife for myself. That will change soon....Thanks Phil

Tim
Attachments
023.JPG
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

basser5 wrote:This is the "test knife" that Phil is referring to. His statements are correct about the quality of Boker plus. The knife has excellent fit and finish, very nice colored jigged bone scales, and came to me very sharp. I used the knife on everything from cutting rope , rubber automotive hoses, and even shaving hardwood just to dull it. I resharpened it on a Lansky sharpened and found the steel a little hard (as i hoped it would be) but it took a great edge again. At the time of this test , I told Phil that i have never bought a China made knife for myself. That will change soon....Thanks Phil

Tim
that looks great, i have seen some of the boker stuff but mainly there magnum line im not sure where in the uk i could get this series from boker so would have to google and see, they do look very well made,ive had a few of spyderco's byrd knives and all been great for the money but due to uk laws i dont tend to buy many lock blades as not legal to carry :(
Paul,

Draac

Post by Draac »

I own a few Rough Rider Knives and this one by far is my favorite. It's pretty and sharp and I love the razor with it. It only cost like $9.99 shipped !

Draac
Attachments
CLICK FOR A MORE DETAILED VIEW
CLICK FOR A MORE DETAILED VIEW
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Another one for anyone just wanting one OH opening lockblade for general edc or just in the car etc you cant go wrong with the sanrenmu 710 as reviewd by me on here , there very well made and although i could never afford to buy a sebenza plus not a uk legal carry so this is a cheap frame lock alternative :D

Paul,

Absintheur

Post by Absintheur »

Without a doubt the knives being made to AG Russell's specs are top of the line. I own 4 of them and the quality is really fantastic. Here is a review I did on the 2010 Texas Ranger knife http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... ag+russell . I also recently bought one of the new Cowboy Pocketknives and it is also pure win. Of course these aren't the lower end knives like the Rough Riders but made to a higher standard with higher quality steel and other components.

For a knife closer to the Rough Riders in price (about double over the RRs) I really like the Colt line. I have gotten the entire set of the brown stag series and would place them very close to the Case knives being produced today.

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Absintheur wrote:Without a doubt the knives being made to AG Russell's specs are top of the line. I own 4 of them and the quality is really fantastic. Here is a review I did on the 2010 Texas Ranger knife http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... ag+russell . I also recently bought one of the new Cowboy Pocketknives and it is also pure win. Of course these aren't the lower end knives like the Rough Riders but made to a higher standard with higher quality steel and other components.

For a knife closer to the Rough Riders in price (about double over the RRs) I really like the Colt line. I have gotten the entire set of the brown stag series and would place them very close to the Case knives being produced today.

they are sweet, ive seen there cowboy/sod buster recently and reall like it but i do like this pattern a lot,

here is another very well made chinese ,real bone not sure of age of this one, by kissing cranes
Paul,

gruntmedik

Post by gruntmedik »

SC1052 wrote:I have several Rough Riders and they are very impressive. I also own a Winchester that is probably more impressive in weight, size and blade sharpness. The RR's and Winchesters are razor sharp straight out of the box. I've been using the Winchester as my EDU for about two weeks now and it is holding up very, very well. I'm not geo political or anything, I own several vintage Case's, John Primble Belknap's and other USA made knives but due to expense and razor sharpness I'm using the Winchester and RR's or EDU.
I picked up a couple of those. I've spent more for my lunch at McDonalds than I paid for the two Winchesters. Not bad, and I may try my hand at putting a set of scales on one.
Semper Fi
Knowledge is power, and easily carried.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

rangerbluedog wrote:I like the Boker Magnums - ya can even get 'em in stag!
I ordered some of these before I knew where they were made. They have been some of the most impressive of the slipjoint Chinese knives I have seen. I even had a problem with one. I sent it back to Boker and they sent me a brand new knife. ::tu::

In the non-traditional knives, the most impressive of the Chinese I have seen are the Byrd line by Spyderco. I have a couple given to me over the years at the OKCA show, (Spyderco gives a knife every year to all table holders). I have one I have beat up pretty good around the shop, box knife and general hacker knife. It is not the best steel I have had, but it does hold an edge as well as an average quality American made 440 stainless steel knife.

I also have a tiny Spyderco (branded) made in China……it really doesn’t hold an edge at all. About all I use it for is opening packaged at the mailbox if I don’t have a better knife handy (which is not often). The Byrd seems to be better knives to me. ::shrug::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Anyone had anything from marble :? thinking about one of there jigged boned stockmans or congress knives ,
Paul,

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

zed6309 wrote:Anyone had anything from marble :? thinking about one of there jigged boned stockmans or congress knives ,
Just what I have read on AAPK -
The consensus seems to be that they are one of the better made Chinese knives.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

orvet wrote:
zed6309 wrote:Anyone had anything from marble :? thinking about one of there jigged boned stockmans or congress knives ,
Just what I have read on AAPK -
The consensus seems to be that they are one of the better made Chinese knives.

cheers dale, i might go for a stockman pattern from marble's. the jigged bone looks nice, not sure if its real though :?
Paul,

basser5

Post by basser5 »

I would have to say that the Marbles are as good as Boker plus ,if not better. I only have one to compare with, and it was a gift so i cannot say if it was a good value or not. The fit and finish is excellent, with nice half-stops. The bonestag is some of the best i have seen. It does have a cheesy shield though.

Tim
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

basser5 wrote:I would have to say that the Marbles are as good as Boker plus ,if not better. I only have one to compare with, and it was a gift so i cannot say if it was a good value or not. The fit and finish is excellent, with nice half-stops. The bonestag is some of the best i have seen. It does have a cheesy shield though.

Tim

Thanks for posting tim, the congress and the stockman in jigged bone are £15 here, seems like a good deal,
Paul,

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I have a Marbles e-toe I bought from the old Chris Kirk knife selling TV show a few years ago. I don't recall how much I paid but it wasn't much. I have never used it nor have I had it out for viewing for quite some time, but I recall thinking it had some of the prettiest handles on it I had seen. They looked very much like the handles on the knife Basser5 posted above. The knife appears to be pretty well made.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “Chinese-made knives”