Made in China?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Made in China?

Post by TripleF »

I'm an equal opportunity offender. I like and use both.
I'd rather have USA mades, but I figure I have to review and talk about both on my blog....so I do.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
allmightyoz

Post by allmightyoz »

CCBILL, Buck makes knives in China. I'm currently the high bidder on one on ebay. Didn't know til after the fact... but I know it woulda cost 4x as much if made in america!
There's a mass without roofs. There's a prison to fill. There's a country's soul that reads post no bills. There's a strike and a line of cops outside of the mill. There's a right to obey and a right to kill.
Brent

Post by Brent »

I am an older guy and i remember when everything was made in Japan and everyone thought it was cheap and junk. Now people look at the steel in those knives and say that it was pretty good. Now some are collectible. Personally, if i like the way a knife looks i buy it and check it out. some are made well and some aren't.
I will catch some heat on this statement. I don't buy Case knives because they have flooded the market. They make a knife for everything under the sun. what will they be worth when you go to a knife show and 250 vendors are selling the same
case knives?
I like the CRKT knives because of all the different styles and locks they use. They have a lot of different ways to open and close them and think that is interesting.
I also have and use Byrd knives by spyderco. It is the low cost line for Spyderco. I have never had to even tighten a screw and you can get them razor sharp. If you check out the blade steel of the Spyderco and the Byrd, they are the same. Same steel at probably one fourth the price.
There will always be people collecting knives for whatever reason. Some will be doing it because they just buy knives. Some will be doing it for an investment, for who? Hope the kids like them. I have old knives, new knives, novelty knives and have even tried to make knives. Talk about low quality. I enjoy the knives i have and i enjoy looking and buying. some i wish i hadn't bought and some i wish i had bought two.
thanks for listening.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

It is undeniable that that for collecting and maybe selling one day, old USA knives are the SHIZZLE!

Looking at 60's or 70's Case Red bone is a religious experience!

That said, for a user knife you could do a LOT worse than say this RR Sleeveboard Whittler with MOP on it!

I tried to get other pictures but I am having technical difficulties with my camera (actually the card).
Looking for the magic penny!
xstuntman

Post by xstuntman »

Newb here.

I actually prefer the cheaper import stainless slippy knifes for my work.
Water treatment plant duties really beat up blades with chemicals that are usually low pH and occasionally extremely high pH. I've now got several that have stained blades even after a good long dunking in water followed by a good cleaning and polishing (ladies nail buffing block).

Not a place for me to carry my Case slippies ::td::
My retirement shall consist of carbon steel, cheese, and crackers.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Roger that xstuntsman!!

::welcome:: to AAPK!
SCOTT

PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

I been carring a RR Congress for the last year and just give it away about a mounth ago and i kinda miss it--i put a RR Canoe in my pocket and really liked it to but give it to a kid doing some work on my truck on Friday hard to beat a Rough Rider as for other China mades i can't say i won't buy any that have names from old US makers--
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
bigdaddys8ball

Post by bigdaddys8ball »

i carried a rough rider muskrat with white smoth bone handels i packed it for about three years befor the pin in the blade broke and the blade fell out but as far as a good work goes it was exelent it kept a razer sharp edge and walked and talked as good of any knife their good to pack that way if you loose it or something its cheap not like a good old american made knife or german
chautauqua

Post by chautauqua »

there is always one poor old vendor that always jumps on these posts and says if i dont sell chinese knives i wouldn't be able to compete with all the other people selling them,well that being said your business is doomed because u have given up and are willing to settle on a product which generally has only at most a couple of dollars in profit per item,i to started setting up at knife and gun shows and soon realized how silly that was,pretty hard to compete when theres always a few vendors a couple hundred miles from home dumping things for gas money to get home,(exactly what foriegn companies do when they need capital)so i did my homework,changed where i am selling my knives,found ways to purchase american made knives at better prices,and changed my sales approach and so far am doing very well, ive never bought or sold a chinese made knife knowingly and plan to keep it that way,about 25 years ago when i started lawn saleing and auctions and estates sales and what not i started throwing all the knives that where not europeon or american into 55 gallon drums, this summer when scrap prices hit just shy of $500 a ton i took them back,it was pretty neat i was able to watch them being unloaded from my truck right onto a shipp destined for asia unfortunetly there probably allready back on store shelves and merchants tables
my avatar is what happened the last time someone tried to sell me a bogus knife
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

RIGHT-ON Chautauqua;I'm glad someone gets it.Buy American the job you save WILL be your own...
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Knife Nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Knife Nut »

I've been knife pickin for 40 years.....never bought a knife made in China......never have, never will.
Nuff said.

Paul
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Where's your computer made?? er your cell phone?? or Didital camera?? give it a rest there has been world trade since before JC
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
chautauqua

Post by chautauqua »

well if i knew of any cell phones,digital cameras or computers that were usa made i would certanly buy one with out hesitating,further more that exact attitude is soley resposible for our current economic problems ,everyone wants stuff for nothing, because we have no consciuos left as a whole and dont mind if the guy that lives next to us looses his manufactoring job as long as we can cheaply put shiney things in our pockets that are cheap to buy
my avatar is what happened the last time someone tried to sell me a bogus knife
knifemaker3

Post by knifemaker3 »

chautauqua wrote:well if i knew of any cell phones,digital cameras or computers that were usa made i would certanly buy one with out hesitating,further more that exact attitude is soley resposible for our current economic problems ,everyone wants stuff for nothing, because we have no consciuos left as a whole and dont mind if the guy that lives next to us looses his manufactoring job as long as we can cheaply put shiney things in our pockets that are cheap to buy

Just curious if you like German made knives? Seems like everyone on here who cusses China made knives and touts to only buy american looks the other way when it comes to German knives. Do you at least hold true to that as well? Or do you secretly own some German made knives?

Buy what you want. I know my knife case has mostly american made knives in the store right now. I also only have american made knives in my AAPK store. I've not sold a knife in over a month. So much for your idea that somehow I will sell more if I only sell American. :roll:

Course the job I'm saving is my own.....yeah right! ::dang:: Listening to your reasoning may very well put me out of business. But, that's just another American small business going down the drain so what the heck.... ::td::
God Bless!

Craig Blankenship
Booger County Outfitters LLC.

Maker of Custom Knives and Custom Screenprinted Garments
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

They been sellin foreign made knives in this country for how many years??

And ya i own mostly American made knives and guns!!
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
bigdaddys8ball

Post by bigdaddys8ball »

my collection is all american and german i do have a few china made knives but the only reason i have them is my kids got them for me if i got out and buy a knife it is eather american or german but i do have some parker knives made in japan and they are good knives and the rough rider brand are decent knives at cheap prices if case .gec .and all other american brands would lower their prices they would be a lot more people buying them and maybe we could put the china made out of buissness and bring all of our money back to the US
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Yeah, that would be knice bigdaddy!
SCOTT

predecessor

Post by predecessor »

TripleF wrote:I'm an equal opportunity offender. I like and use both. I'd rather have USA mades...
I'm with you TripleF -- So new on this forum that I hate to disappoint anyone in my newfound knife community but I figure at least you'll know I'm genuine and not afraid to speak my mind 8)

There's a large part of me that wants to buy American - always. And in most cases I do. But sometimes I don't. Sometimes, there's something made outside of the US that fits a niche or need in a unique way when there is no equal US made alternative.

I struggled with this first with firearms. Almost every rifle I own is a US made Marlin or Winchester. But Winchester stopped making the 1887 in the early 20th century so I own a Chinese made Coyote Cap -- yep, it helped someone in China, but it helped an old cowboy gunsmith in Minnesota who improved the design and made their production possible when I bought it from him. Winchester stopped making American made 92's in the middle of the 20th century. So I have a Brazilian Rossi that fits the bill now. And I helped an old cowboy in Texas by buying some parts and a video from him on how to slick it up. With pistols, it's an even different playing field. So many that aren't made in the US that just have to be owned and shot. ::mdm::

With knives it is somewhat similar. The pocket knives I drool over are made right here in the US and am proud to pay top dollar for them. No offense, but the high quality German alternatives don't tempt me in this field. But a Fallkniven A1 Laminated survival knife does. ::paranoid::

And yet why are there a bevy of inexpensive Chinese made pocket knives available? Because their aren't a bevy of inexpensive American made pocket knives to remove the temptation. As others have mentioned, I'm not sure I want to rush out and rough up and abuse my Case and Queen pocket knives. Doesn't mean I won't or don't use them (but some of them I don't want to put a scratch on). But I have no concerns about roughing up my foreign made knives. Sometimes, you just want a high quality inexpensive knife to do a job right. And there's a few knives made in the East that fit that bill.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Just scored this Outdoor Edge Pocket Skinning Knife. Those of you who watch the Spirit of the Wild with Uncle Ted (Nugent) know this is his knife sponsor. Anyhow I did a review on it.
Attachments
Outdoor Edge Pocket knife.JPG
SCOTT

wlf

Post by wlf »

I bought a RR from a man I know.Small congress,had it about 3 mos.,backspring broke.Some of the handle material looks great ,I fear the steel is not.For what its worth I haven't seen many Cases since the early '70s I was real impressed with.But they are a much better knife than RR.Value wise?

I understand there are some quality makers out there now,mostly for the collector market.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
ironmage

Post by ironmage »

xvigauge wrote:I tend to get a feeling that knives made in China are not well liked on ths forum. I am new to the forum so I don't really know what to expect. Being a watch collector, I have found that automatic watch movements (such as Sea Gull) made in China are very good quality, sturdy and well made movements. I assume that knives do not share this same quality? I have a couple of Steal Warrior and Dakota knives that I bought primarily on looks. They seem to be well made, but they do have China on the blades. Are these brands any good? Most of my knives will not actually be used, at least not my new ones. I have several vintage "beaters" that are very sharp and sturdy that I carry for everyday use. Steer me on the right track. Should I stay away from made in China pocket knives?
xvigauge
The steel warrior is a very well made knife.I have had a few over the last couple of years and I just love them for the price.The Dakota I don't no much about.The knife in the pic is a very well mad knife.
Attachments
Steel warrior pin.jpg
Steel warrior pin.jpg (46.88 KiB) Viewed 4633 times
"Sometimes the best part of a knife was the hunt",PK
" Fēng xiàng zhuàn biàn shí, yǒu rén zhú qiáng, yǒu rén zào fēng chē!"
"When the wind of change blows some build walls while others build windmills!"
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

This doesn't walk the same as MOST of my American knives but is SHRIEKING sharp and snaps with authority. Has half stops too. Rough Rider half whittler #RR763
Looking for the magic penny!
ironmage

Post by ironmage »

Absintheur wrote:I read the above posts about not buying Chinese products but if you truly felt that way how can you post on here? I know for a fact many of the parts in the computer you are using where made in China. As for the statement "they war game against us" guess what? We war game against them too.

I buy knives from all over the world but some of the highest quality factory knives I have seen lately have come out of China via AG Russell. To get the same quality you have to spend over twice as much and buy semi custom like the Bose Case knives.
I thought the same thing win I read that post to.
ironmage

Post by ironmage »

knifemaker3 wrote:
chautauqua wrote:well if i knew of any cell phones,digital cameras or computers that were usa made i would certanly buy one with out hesitating,further more that exact attitude is soley resposible for our current economic problems ,everyone wants stuff for nothing, because we have no consciuos left as a whole and dont mind if the guy that lives next to us looses his manufactoring job as long as we can cheaply put shiney things in our pockets that are cheap to buy

Just curious if you like German made knives? Seems like everyone on here who cusses China made knives and touts to only buy american looks the other way when it comes to German knives. Do you at least hold true to that as well? Or do you secretly own some German made knives?

Buy what you want. I know my knife case has mostly american made knives in the store right now. I also only have american made knives in my AAPK store. I've not sold a knife in over a month. So much for your idea that somehow I will sell more if I only sell American. :roll:

Course the job I'm saving is my own.....yeah right! ::dang:: Listening to your reasoning may very well put me out of business. But, that's just another American small business going down the drain so what the heck.... ::td::
LOL I love this forum.
ironmage

Post by ironmage »

bigdaddys8ball wrote:my collection is all american and german i do have a few china made knives but the only reason i have them is my kids got them for me if i got out and buy a knife it is eather american or german but i do have some parker knives made in japan and they are good knives and the rough rider brand are decent knives at cheap prices if case .gec .and all other american brands would lower their prices they would be a lot more people buying them and maybe we could put the china made out of buissness and bring all of our money back to the US
That's not possible because of the union.Now I have started something. lol

Return to “Chinese-made knives”