Made in China?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
singin46

Re: Made in China?

Post by singin46 »

I tend to not buy Chinese made knives but do own a few that I have either gotten as gifts or had purchased the odd tactical folder. The fact is that you can find fault in any production knife made, not really that hard. It's just a question of how critical your'e gonna be.
Love all Jacks
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Too bad that even the german cutlery industry went down the drain. But wasn´t it all the same in the US, in Solingen, in Sheffield or Thiers? Capitalism isn´t the best system when you want to be on top forever. We´ve had our fun, next stop is China! ::shrug::
While I would never buy a chinese knife for my collection, I bought several (even without knowing their origin then) for EDCing. They are good users which can´t be beaten when it comes to bang for the buck (or even Euro-Dollar) but the lack soul. And that´s crucial for the collection - soul! ::tu::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Yes Frank, you're right, it wasn't going to last forever with the whole capitalism thing happening. Solingen had some wonderful days, especially in the 70s and 80s when FRs and BDs were produced there. Competition was always strong and that made for better knives all around. This particular problem is that they didn't build a better mouse trap so to speak, they just made a cheaper one and put some fancy stuff on it to fool the masses.
Love all Jacks
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Yes, it´s all over I suppose. It is a joy the see companies like the Great Eastern Cutlery doing so good but I guess that will not last forever. After all and next to a lot of other hobbies it´s old mens fun. ::shrug::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Hoping GEC can continue their much deserved success. I'm trying too think positive about the future.
Love all Jacks
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

What I noticed over the last month is a "flood" of Pakistan made damascus knives on Ebay. They come so cheap that they banalize the fantastic art of forging damascus steel. ::dang:: I have no idea about the quality though. Has anyone bought such a knife yet? ::hmm::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

In the past I bought a couple of fixed damascus blades from Pakistan not realizing their source. The appearance was very sloppy above the edge. The knives were crude but certainly could be used with extremely sharp blades. More recently, based on photos, the damascus work appears more attractive and the handle work improved.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”