Made in China?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Made in China?

Post by Shearer »

I come from Australia and collect USA made knives and have a large collection of USA Old Timer.The knife I use around the farm is a China Old Timer 60T. I purchased this knife of a USA seller as at the local shop they are still charging the same price as the USA made knives.I have been using the knife for two years without any problems.It's not as well built as the USA made knives but cost less and give good service as long as you don't abuse it.Some item coming out of China are a reasonable standard other you would not give to your worst enemy.
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
ironmage

Post by ironmage »

Shearer wrote:I come from Australia and collect USA made knives and have a large collection of USA Old Timer.The knife I use around the farm is a China Old Timer 60T. I purchased this knife of a USA seller as at the local shop they are still charging the same price as the USA made knives.I have been using the knife for two years without any problems.It's not as well built as the USA made knives but cost less and give good service as long as you don't abuse it.Some item coming out of China are a reasonable standard other you would not give to your worst enemy.
You said that very well.
"Sometimes the best part of a knife was the hunt",PK
" Fēng xiàng zhuàn biàn shí, yǒu rén zhú qiáng, yǒu rén zào fēng chē!"
"When the wind of change blows some build walls while others build windmills!"
kswildcat

Post by kswildcat »

ironmage wrote:
bigdaddys8ball wrote:my collection is all american and german i do have a few china made knives but the only reason i have them is my kids got them for me if i got out and buy a knife it is eather american or german but i do have some parker knives made in japan and they are good knives and the rough rider brand are decent knives at cheap prices if case .gec .and all other american brands would lower their prices they would be a lot more people buying them and maybe we could put the china made out of buissness and bring all of our money back to the US
That's not possible because of the union.Now I have started something. lol

Yeah lets lower the prices on American made knives so we can compete with the Chinese knife price. Already being done, oh wait I guess not, they farm that tier of knife for china to make for them (and I think try to trick us to think we are getting something we are not). I would hate to see the junk the USA companies would make to lower their price to china knives. Talk about some terrible metal and finish. Like it or not your not going to be able to make a quality knife that most Americans can afford to USE (we are not all collectors) in the united states when the united states companies work force is union and they are to busy demanding themselves out of a job. Yet some of you say "the job you save may be your own". I have a novel idea. Why cant these American companies get workers that are willing to make the money they are worth from their performance and the quality they produce and rely on themselves and not an organization? I guess the days of standing on your own merit is a thing of the past(and has been for a long time).
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

My Cryo, Swerve and Freefall from Kershaw are all China made. But they look and feel like quality and the Swerve and Freefall are SHARP out of the clampack!

The Cryo seems to have fairly soft steel but it strops fine on my jeans.
Looking for the magic penny!
daddynewton

Post by daddynewton »

From Wikipedia ''In 2010, the percentage of workers belonging to a union in the United States (or total labor union "density") was 11.4%, compared to 18.4% in Germany, 27.5% in Canada, and 70% in Finland.[1] Union membership in the private sector has fallen under 7%[2] — levels not seen since 1932. Unions allege that employer-incited opposition has contributed to this decline in membership. The most prominent unions are among public sector employees such as teachers and police. '' The minimum wage in china is different in every area. Beijing is the highest at $2.50 cents per hour. I have some nice looking Chinese knives but I am still a little ashamed of them lol. I am proud of my USA knives. Don't think I would like to work in China.
kswildcat

Post by kswildcat »

Sure the percentage of Americas work force of union workers has declined. We don't produce anything anymore. We have become a consumer nation not a producer nation. Look into what the percentage of union workers to non-union workers in factories and Im sure you will find more chances then not that the workers in them factories are union. At one time I knew of 2 factories that produced farm machinery that did not have union workers, but that has changed now since AGCO purchased one of them. I don't know of ANYTHING that is 100% American made anymore. Maybe some clothes but wouldn't surprise me if the dye was made somewere else
IMBand

Post by IMBand »

kswildcat wrote: I don't know of ANYTHING that is 100% American made anymore.
This Ruger is 100% American made, down to the last spring and pin. I am proud to own it and the fact that it is 100% made in the USA was one of reasons I chose it over other pistols.

IM
:)
Attachments
P1130209.JPG
AAPK #6581
knives-are-quiet

Post by knives-are-quiet »

IMBand wrote:
This Ruger is 100% American made, down to the last spring and pin. I am proud to own it and the fact that it is 100% made in the USA was one of reasons I chose it over other pistols.

IM
:)
The computer or cell phone you are typing your post with guess what???

At least 98% of the electronic components inside are made guess where. CHINA....

And I bet all the equipment and machinery in the factory that made your gun was made where else ......... CHINA

I'd like everything made in USA too but it's way too late for that.
You can't get away with using china made stuff.
The United States would come to a stand still.
IMBand

Post by IMBand »

knives-are-quiet wrote:
The computer or cell phone you are typing your post with guess what???

At least 98% of the electronic components inside are made guess where. CHINA....

And I bet all the equipment and machinery in the factory that made your gun was made where else ......... CHINA

I'd like everything made in USA too but it's way too late for that.
You can't get away with using china made stuff.
The United States would come to a stand still.

The firearm itself is made up of American Made components, never said anything about their factory....... :roll:
......heck, the factory may use 50% workers from Mexico, that wasn't my point...... ::dang::

(What do you mean about my cell phone and PC......? Are you telling me they have imported parts...... :shock: ....... :lol: ......)

IM
::huff::
AAPK #6581
knives-are-quiet

Post by knives-are-quiet »

Yes they are.
Everything modern you use in daily life will usually be made in china or has parts made in china.
From your vehicle to your washing machine.
And it has been like that for years.
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Saying that most things we buy/use are made elsewhere is rhetorical.

When I have a chance to buy American made I do. Whether it actually makes a difference in the long run or not is a moot point now. I don't do it for that reason as much as the way it makes me feel knowing that other Americans had a hand in making it and I am helping support their job as well as feeling more pride in the finished product.
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

In Australia we don't even make matches.One Australia put out these boxes of matches ( made somewhere else ) .
In Australia we are ahead of the USA we have lost most of ower manufactering industries.
Attachments
Dickhead matches.jpg
Back Dickhead matches.jpg
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

::rotflol:: ::tu::
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I do, Corn ::nod::
Attachments
Fresh Corn.jpg
AAPK Janitor
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mmmm roastnears.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
singin46

Post by singin46 »

I tend to not buy Chinese made knives but do own a few that I have either gotten as gifts or had purchased the odd tactical folder. The fact is that you can find fault in any production knife made, not really that hard. It's just a question of how critical your'e gonna be.
Love all Jacks
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Too bad that even the german cutlery industry went down the drain. But wasn´t it all the same in the US, in Solingen, in Sheffield or Thiers? Capitalism isn´t the best system when you want to be on top forever. We´ve had our fun, next stop is China! ::shrug::
While I would never buy a chinese knife for my collection, I bought several (even without knowing their origin then) for EDCing. They are good users which can´t be beaten when it comes to bang for the buck (or even Euro-Dollar) but the lack soul. And that´s crucial for the collection - soul! ::tu::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Yes Frank, you're right, it wasn't going to last forever with the whole capitalism thing happening. Solingen had some wonderful days, especially in the 70s and 80s when FRs and BDs were produced there. Competition was always strong and that made for better knives all around. This particular problem is that they didn't build a better mouse trap so to speak, they just made a cheaper one and put some fancy stuff on it to fool the masses.
Love all Jacks
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Yes, it´s all over I suppose. It is a joy the see companies like the Great Eastern Cutlery doing so good but I guess that will not last forever. After all and next to a lot of other hobbies it´s old mens fun. ::shrug::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Hoping GEC can continue their much deserved success. I'm trying too think positive about the future.
Love all Jacks
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

What I noticed over the last month is a "flood" of Pakistan made damascus knives on Ebay. They come so cheap that they banalize the fantastic art of forging damascus steel. ::dang:: I have no idea about the quality though. Has anyone bought such a knife yet? ::hmm::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

In the past I bought a couple of fixed damascus blades from Pakistan not realizing their source. The appearance was very sloppy above the edge. The knives were crude but certainly could be used with extremely sharp blades. More recently, based on photos, the damascus work appears more attractive and the handle work improved.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”