S&W HRT (SWHRT9B) Opinions?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Captain O

S&W HRT (SWHRT9B) Opinions?

Post by Captain O »

Yes, I know that the 4.75" dual-edge blade, 4.25" blade has the same 7Cr17 MoV steel as my 11" tanto. That knife is a good one but it takes up a lot of "real estate" beneath my sports coat. Oh, it is okay, but the SWHRT9B is a spear-point blade dedicated to slashing, light cutting duties and "wet work".
The 4.75" blade gives the knife sufficient reach without feeling as if I'm carrying the state of Rhode Island beneath my jacket. A 3.5" blade seems a bit short, but the 4 3/4" blade looks as if it is the best compromise.

Opinions? :shock: ::undecided:: ::shrug::
Captain O

Re: S&W HRT (SWHRT9B) Opinions?

Post by Captain O »

The S&W S&W HRT9B arrived today (finally) and the knife met my expectations... and more! This is the same steel that is in my "Old Timer" Sharpmaker, Boot Dagger, and Deerslayer as well as my Large Tanto Boot Knife. The steel is tougher than the higher-carbon steels, but won't hold the edge as well as AUS-8 or 440C steels. Don't dismiss the 7Cr17MoV steel too quickly. The grind on the dagger blade isn't the best for "daily cutting chores" but in a pinch, it will perform rather well. I can whip an edge on this knife that's sharp enough to shave, but will also cut non-ferrous lines, (Nylon, Hemp, Cotton, etc.).

I like the size of the knife. It is big enough to perform larger tasks but small enough to be carried beneath a coat without being noticed. If you are seeking a "mid-sized" dagger, the SWHRT9B is a decent value for the money.

For the $16.75 I paid, I'm more than satisfied.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”