KA-BAR Swell End Jack Question

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
bdev

KA-BAR Swell End Jack Question

Post by bdev »

I just received this jack. My Question is.... was this knife made by Queen?
It looks very much like Queen's pattern 18 jack. Pins are in the same place as well as blade set up. The bolster is a bit different but not by much.
Size is the same at 3 11/16".

Bought it from Steve Pfeiffer / knifeaholic. If you're reading this Steve....Thanks.....It's a nice one.
DSC_0004%5B1%5D.JPG
DSC_0004%5B1%5D.JPG (36.06 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
DSC_0003%5B2%5D.JPG
DSC_0003%5B2%5D.JPG (36.33 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
kabar.jpg
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: KA-BAR Swell End Jack Question

Post by knifeaholic »

No, made by Kabar. It was a pretty standard Kabar pattern from their early days through the 1960's. You will see a lot of them in jigged black composition.

Now understand I cannot PROVE that Kabar made them in house and not Queen. Just no overwhelming evidence that Kabar outsourced them.

One would have to compare the Kabar with the Queen side by side to do further analysis. Review the details, the exact style of the blade pulls, pin placement, blade grinds, etc. But also recall that Queen was using 440C 100% in the 50's to 60's and the Kabar is carbon steel.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

That is indeed a handsome jack. I ogled it in Steve's store more than once and almost pulled the trigger each time! Looks stout!
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
bdev

Post by bdev »

Thanks for the replies.
It is a nice one and Steve had it at a fair price.

The more I compare it to my Queen's, I now see that it probably wasn't made by Queen. It's really close but there are slight differences.
Definitely gonna add this one to my EDC.
Bruno
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

The KA-BAR over Olean, NY mark dates it to 1943- to about 1947-48.

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”