Is my Cripple Creek knife of any value?

Bob Cargill is the man behind the Cripple Creek Knife Brand. He started out making one of a kind custom knives and eventually started making special order runs by hand under the Cripple Creek name in 1981. He specialized in high quality hand made limited runs for clubs and organizations. The brand was later sold to Blackjack Knives of Effingham, IL who commissioned Queen Cutlery to produce them in larger quantities.
makarov417

Is my Cripple Creek knife of any value?

Post by makarov417 »

Hello to all of you! I am hping that one of you can help me answer a question I have about a Cripple Creek straight razor I have. I have spent literally hours searching the internet and have found very little. The was one site that had na photo of the knife I have but gave no additional info about value or rarity. I'm obviously new here so I may not succeed with adding a photo. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Erich
CrippleCreekKnife1.jpg
CrippleCreekKnife1.jpg (25.35 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
CCBill

Re: Is my Cripple Creek knife of any value?

Post by CCBill »

Hi Erich...
First off, welcome to AAPK. We're glad to have you and look forward to having you as a member.

Cripple Creeks always seem to be good. I can't answer your question but somebody should be along shortly that can.
...CCBill... 8)
Only two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein...
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The stag handles make it more desirable but I don't know how sought after the One Armed Razor Barlows are. If it was made by Bob Cargill it has more value than one made after he left the company. This is a quote from an eBay listing so take it for what it's worth - "The knife has the Cripple Creek/USA tang stamp. These knives were made in Lockport, IL, from 1981 to 1986, before the move to OldFort, TN." Now, that may not be entirely true because I just saw a Cripple Creek/USA tang stamp on a new barlow at Smokey Mountain Knife Works. Of course Cargill made a lot of special order small runs for knife clubs, etc so there's still hope. What we need here is a Cripple Creek expert.

I don't know how to tell if it's a Cargill but from casual observation on eBay, Cargill Cripple Creeks go for more than $100 (sometimes much more) and post Cargill Cripple Creeks seem to usually go for between $50 - $100.

I know that's not much help but maybe someone who knows what their talking about will chime in here and give you some better information.

Welcome to AAPK. I hope you stick around. It's a nice place to visit or hang out.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
makarov417

Post by makarov417 »

Thanks for the info! An elderly friend of mine has asked me to sell it for her along with several more razor/knife combination pieces. Her deceased husband had collected them but since he died in 1998 she keeps finding them all over the house, shed, barn, etc. LOL The ones I have now are her most recent finds from the long locked shed. She hasn't been in there in well over a decade. I planned to list it on eBay and just want to get her a fair price as I know NOTHING about knives. I'm a Victor Talkng Machine Collector. I'm just trying to help her out. Thanks again! Erich
basser5

Post by basser5 »

Erick.....check your messages.

Tim
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.

Return to “Cripple Creek”