Cripple Creek Blade Steel

Bob Cargill is the man behind the Cripple Creek Knife Brand. He started out making one of a kind custom knives and eventually started making special order runs by hand under the Cripple Creek name in 1981. He specialized in high quality hand made limited runs for clubs and organizations. The brand was later sold to Blackjack Knives of Effingham, IL who commissioned Queen Cutlery to produce them in larger quantities.
Aimus Moses

Cripple Creek Blade Steel

Post by Aimus Moses »

Anyone know what type of steel was used on the original Cripple Creek's blades and the others made by different manufactures up to the GEC made ones after Bob sold the brand? I figure GEC uses their 1095 carbon on the Cripple Creek knives they produced. I'm thinking the originals and some of the others were 1095 carbon up into the 1990's, while some others were made with D-2 and stainless steel.

Aimus
gcrinnion

Re: Cripple Creek Blade Steel

Post by gcrinnion »

Aimus Moses wrote:Anyone know what type of steel was used on the original Cripple Creek's blades and the others made by different manufactures up to the GEC made ones after Bob sold the brand? I figure GEC uses their 1095 carbon on the Cripple Creek knives they produced. I'm thinking the originals and some of the others were 1095 carbon up into the 1990's, while some others were made with D-2 and stainless steel.

Aimus
Pretty sure Bob didn't use stainless on any of the dozen plus CCs I own. I used to carry one of the LI 10s, a large trapper from the Lockport days, and a nice patina started forming on the blade before I retired it so it definitely wasn't stainless.
My name is George

If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change -
Buddha

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible"
- Matthew 19:26
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

Thank you George. That leans me more toward what I was thinking about Bob using carbon steel on the originals and that the Effingham stamped knives (next owner of Cripple Creek brand after Bob sold it) were made of 1095 carbon steel also. I did find out through a little digging that the Queen and GEC made Cripple Creek knives were made with stainless steel blades. GEC's would be 440C stainless, I would think, and Queen's being 420HC stainless. So far I've not found any CC's that were made with D-2 tool steel blades. I'm not saying there wasn't any made, I just haven't seen any or any information about them myself yet. I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone that knows anything about CC's blade steels and wouldn't mind to share the information. I'd like to find some solid information on the blade steels used. Thanks again George.

Aimus
gcrinnion

Post by gcrinnion »

Oh you are welcome. I actually staring thinking and I remember a converstaion I had with Bob at a knife show in Connectticut and he specifiaclly told me he wan't using stainless at that time. So that must have been 1982 oto 1984ish.
Aimus Moses wrote:Thank you George. That leans me more toward what I was thinking about Bob using carbon steel on the originals and that the Effingham stamped knives (next owner of Cripple Creek brand after Bob sold it) were made of 1095 carbon steel also. I did find out through a little digging that the Queen and GEC made Cripple Creek knives were made with stainless steel blades. GEC's would be 440C stainless, I would think, and Queen's being 420HC stainless. So far I've not found any CC's that were made with D-2 tool steel blades. I'm not saying there wasn't any made, I just haven't seen any or any information about them myself yet. I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone that knows anything about CC's blade steels and wouldn't mind to share the information. I'd like to find some solid information on the blade steels used. Thanks again George.

Aimus
My name is George

If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change -
Buddha

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible"
- Matthew 19:26
big monk

Post by big monk »

Aimus Moses wrote:Anyone know what type of steel was used on the original Cripple Creek's blades and the others made by different manufactures up to the GEC made ones after Bob sold the brand? I figure GEC uses their 1095 carbon on the Cripple Creek knives they produced. I'm thinking the originals and some of the others were 1095 carbon up into the 1990's, while some others were made with D-2 and stainless steel.

Aimus
Aimus--I went back,and dug up this post,that George,and others were discussing CCC,but there is not much,help here either__Monk ::tu::

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... =4&t=13242

I also,found some knives,that Mike @ CK.net,had sold,in the past__both the GEC and Queen,had 420HC satinless ::tu::
Attachments
2009 Queen Cripple Creek.jpg
2009 Queen Cripple Creek.jpg (38.63 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
2009 GEC Cripple Creek.jpg
2009 GEC Cripple Creek.jpg (43.54 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

Thanks again George and monk for the info and the link. The 420HC on the GEC made CC's was a little surprise to me. I figured if it was stainless steel from GEC, it would have been 440C for sure. I guess it's whatever the customer asks for.

Aimus
big monk

Post by big monk »

Hey Aimus____I think,you are right ( whatever the customer ask for )___I bought a knife,a few months back,that I could not find on the ,""GEC Production Totals List""______well, that thread,that I dug,up for you,talks about,the 420HC steel,and the knife,won't have "'Cyclops Steel Works"" stamping on the blade___the tube,is the same as a,regular GEC tube,and does not have any other ,Cutlery,name on the tube___I think,an idividual,knife dealer,had them made,and sold them,a few along with ,his others, on e-bay__ there seemed to be a lot of that going on,the first few years,the company was in business ????___ the knife is a top quality,GEC,product,just like all their knives***___we learn somethin' new everyday !!!!! thanks to all ::tu::
Attachments
Great Eastern Scout 08'.JPG
GEC  Burnt Stag Trapper Scout.JPG
Great Eastern Knife Tube.JPG
GEC Knife Tube.JPG
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

That's a pretty one monk. Do you have a stag magnet in ya pocket or sump'in or are you tippin the mailman a little $ to go through packages and pick all the nice stag out for ya? :lol:
Hey George, PM incoming.

Aimus
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

Oh Yea! The early Cripple Creek knives kick butt. ::tu:: I love the quality, fit & finish, and the patterns aren't ones you run into every day. And my favorite blade steel, carbon, ta boot. ::ds:: ::ds:: Gotta get me some more of these. ::nod:: Show 'em if you got'em fellers. Love to see them.

Aimus
soulmanticore

Post by soulmanticore »

These are just some copies of clippings. 4th ann. stainless steel blades. and the 5th annv. has high carbon blades. At the bottom right of the smoke signals. Says that the 2nd addition sachem was stainless. As to what kind. ???

I have some other misc. material I will look through and see what i can dig up.

Untill next time
shane stone
Attachments
3-20-2011 10;07;15 PM.jpg
3-20-2011 10;19;23 PM.jpg

Return to “Cripple Creek”