Bulldog-1st- generation-Moose

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Bulldog3

Bulldog-1st- generation-Moose

Post by Bulldog3 »

This knife is listed as BKC #273. but the back of the blade is stamped S&D Cut.
Looks like a 1st generation with the short pull. Any one have any opinion on this?
Attachments
Bulldog-1st-Generation-Moose.jpg
robinetn

Re: Bulldog-1st- generation-Moose

Post by robinetn »

BKC #273 should be tang stamped S&D on the back and also have the short pull . I do think that some of these may have been assembled from old parts in the early 1990's (only the "shadow" knows for sure) . Maybe Tom can enlighten us later .

Bob
norsefan12

Post by norsefan12 »

definitely a 1st Gen. Peacock. Purple Swirl handles were used on 1st Gen. while End of Day handles were on the 2nd Generation.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

As usual both Bob and Charlie are correct. The ones that were assembled in the early 90's were very similar, however, they had the End of Day handles which were similar in looks, although not as stable, as the old purple swirl that the knife pictured has. The Peacock etch is also a little different on these later knives. I will see if I can dig up some pictures for comparison.

Tom
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

This is a rare single blade I just sold, note the variation in the handle and also the peacock etch. This knife I believe was assembled in the early 90's.
Attachments
$(KGrHqQOKnUE64YDRDGrBOucF+Jf-Q~~60_3.jpg
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

olderdogs1 wrote:This is a rare single blade I just sold, note the variation in the handle and also the peacock etch. This knife I believe was assembled in the early 90's.
Tom , Did your knife have the 1983 date stamp ? I thought about mentioning this in my 1st post , but this is a "sticky" subject . I had one of these with the peacock etch , crest shield , and 1983 date stamp (clip blade) . I always figured that they used a BKC #273 blade when they started assembling the old parts ?? ::shrug::

Bob
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Bob, This one didn't as it only had one blade but the ones with two blades did have the 1983 dated blades. Don't however, assume that they were the same blades as the original peacocks had. For example, the second generation tobacco congress knives were all dated 1983, but an entirely different 1983 stamp from the one that was used on the 1st generation knives. Also the blade shapes were different. I know this is getting away from the original thread but in my opinion not all 2nd generation knives were made from the older blades even though they carried the older date stamps on the tang.

Tom
Forcedoutage

Post by Forcedoutage »

Did they also make this in the 1st gen with the diamond shield?
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Yes, the diamond shield 1st generation peacock is actually much more common that the crest shield. The diamond shield peacocks do not have the S&D tang stamp. Both are really good quality knives.

Tom
Forcedoutage

Post by Forcedoutage »

Thanks Tom. I was hoping they did. The knife looked right minus the shield and S&D tang. Wanted to make sure.

Return to “European-made knives”