Is The Well Running Dry ?

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Is The Well Running Dry ?

Post by philco »

I have noticed that the number of slipjoint Canal Street knives posted for sale on ebay is declining. I've also noted that the online dealers who offer Canal Street knives for sale have fewer and fewer traditional Canal Street pocket knives in stock. There seem to be plenty of fixed blade knives available but the folders look to me to be becoming harder to find. Has anyone else taken note of this trend or am I just imagining things ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
drm1017

Re: Is The Well Running Dry ?

Post by drm1017 »

Very keen observation Phil. I've been wondering myself if a change is in the wind. I was speaking to a CSC dealer at a show last month and he was of the opinion that they might be shifting their production mainly to fixed blades. After hearing that, the other thing that made me wonder what was going on was the 'sale' that Drop Point Hunter was having on several patterns of slip joints just recently. Almost seem like a clearance sale.

Speaking of Canal Street, I went to the mail box this past Monday and there was a box sent from them. Inside was a Pinch Lock Back with Artillery Canvas scales. I'm completely mystified because I did not order a knife from them or DPH. I sent them an email explaining the situation but have not had a response back yet. Strange!
Randy
As you slide down the banisters of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

I have noticed this as well, Phil! Although CSC is in the running for the next BF forum knife. Course so is GEC and Case! We will see what happens.
Love all Jacks
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

There are some changes going on within Canal Street Cutlery! They are launching a new line of knives this year at Blade Show. I have been working with them somewhat, because I have a high interest in seeing these folks being successful. The Canal Street line is fantastic line of USA knives and the folks at Canal Street are real down home folks that truly care about what they do.

Having said this, Canal Street has partnered with DEXTER to get blades produced for their new line of Tactical Survival Knives. I have several samples in my possession as my company is trying to assist Canal Street with getting this product out to the public. These knives are very well made and have several options. The great thing about these knives is that the cost is much lower than the fixed blade Military style knife they came out with last year. Cost alone should make the knives more attractive to folks.

Some options are: cerakoted blades in Black or Foliage green, half serrated blade or not, and one of the most stunning features of this knife is the handle material. They have put the VZ Grips on these. They are machined (G-10?) handles that are manufactured by the same folks that manufacture the grips for the 1911 handgun. Not only are these handles beautiful (in Hyena Brown or Predator Green) they are very functional when handling with or without gloves, in cold weather and in wet weather. These are truly a Phenominal knife. Wally has assured me that he would have some for sale at the Blade Show as well as have the newest prototype of his featured folding Knife that will have the VZ grips as well. I am excited about this new look and once you see/handle these knives, I am sure you will be as well. Wally also stated that he would have some new stuff at Blade as well!

As for Droppoint Hunter; Michael has decided to go a different route as well. I will leave it up to him to disclose his path, however, Michael ran some outstanding sales of his Canal Street Inventory to clear out the inventory. I would have loved to have bought his entire inventory and gone down the road selling Canal Street Knives, however, it just wasn't in the cards for me this time around. I bought some great knives from Michael over the years as well as during his Inventory reduction and I hope you folks grabbed them up as well when they became available.

I will have my samples at Blade Show as well in the event that Wally doesn't have the same ones there for sale. I will be spending time at the Canal Street Booth, as I do every year and look forward to seeing you guys at the Blade Show.

I hope this helps clear up some of your questions!

Tom
wlf

Post by wlf »

I'm really looking forward to the Longhorn steak dinner again Tom, Lord willing.Phil I think John Lloyd will be eating with us too ,you guys will like him.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
junebug

Post by junebug »

CANAL STREET IS GOIN "TACTI-COOL"

OHHH BABY,,...THE OLD GUYS HERE GUNNA FLIP OUT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

SOOOOOO MANY HERE "HATE" (yes its a STRONG word,but its also TRUE HERE @ AAPK) WHAT THEY CALL "TACTI-COOL" KNIVES....
G10: :shock:
CERAKOTE : :shock: ::mdm::
COLOR CHOICE: :shock: ::mdm:: :shock:
TACTICAL slash SURVIVAL in description of their knife : :shock: ::mdm:: :shock: ::mdm::
vz GRIPS: they dont even know what this mean but i bet it pisses half off anywho : :lol: :shock: ::mdm:: :shock:

this oughta be interesting to watch ::hmm::
I personally can't wait ta see em ,and cant wait ta see if a pocket clip folder comes out ::paranoid:: ::nod:: ::groove:: :mrgreen:
GETS POPCORN >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Attachments
$T2eC16N,!zQE9s3srYw1BSFsLWcRSw~~60_57.JPG
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Wow, what a change of direction.....
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Ramrod

Post by Ramrod »

I hope Canal Street can find their place in the knife world,
and make a successful go of it. ::tu::
(without footballs)lol
Mark
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Not running dry as far as I know folks. Some slow movers/very labor intensive knives have been discontinued, but we're still producing two blade trapper, single blade trapper, pinch with all its iterations (shadow, bolstered), stockman, barlow, single blade boy's knife (shadow, bolstered), possibly a couple of new ones on the serpentine frame for those who don't need the three blades of a stockman. Also still making the usual range of fixed blade knives.

The copper bolstered line is still being produced for Kabar, plus MooreMaker is still a VERY active customer.

The Dexters are just in addition to what we're running now.

Eric
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Eric I'm very glad to get your report. As I stated previously it seems that I'm seeing fewer and fewer slipjoint Canal Street knives for sale online and that has been cause for concern. If there's anyone who wants to see Canal Street Cutlery thrive, it's me. I love the knives and have supported the company with much of my personal knife money over the past few years.

I have been told that the Ring Pull and Congress patterns are both discontinued. Can you verify that and also tell us what, if any, other patterns have been discontinued ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I am also glad to hear this, Eric. I am also a big supporter of CSC, as you know (maybe not as big as Phil :D )

I really need to see Canal Street staying in the game, I love what they represent!

Glenn
akula83

Post by akula83 »

I am waiting on a sunset bone full moon trapper that is inbound, my first CSC knife. The thread caption had me concerned as I have read of the really nice F/F and would probably want to add one or two of their slipjoints as budget permits. I'd really like to have in hand one of the American chestnut models, as I like the history behind it. thanks.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

akula83 welcome to Canal Street. It's a nice neighborhood. 8)

I hope you'll like your new Canal Street knife as much as I've liked mine. I got my first one about six years ago and I've been smitten by them ever since. Please let us know what you think of your knife when it arrives.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Yes,

Welcome to AAPK! As philco says, I hope you enjoy your Canal Street Knife. He and I got started with the Canal Street knives about the same time. My preference are the Pinch Locb Backs, English Barlows and the Boys Knufe.

I have gathered approx 200 of their knives since I started, visited the factory on many occasions and talk with Wally Gardner (Owner) just about every week. There are some great folks working there, 3rd Generation Cutlers and they do a fantastic job on their knives. Please let us know what you think when your knife arrives and please post pictures.

Tom

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”