American Chestnut Knives

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

American Chestnut Knives

Post by philco »

If you're a Canal Street collector, no doubt you've come across the Chestnut handled knives that Canal Street offers for sale. The handle material comes from an old barn in Hopkinsville, Ky. that has been dismantled for the wood. Here's a couple of photos from the Red River Gorge area where they have a display of a cross section of a Chestnut tree slab. I found it interesting, and hopefully so will you.
Attachments
IMG_9093.JPG
IMG_9095.JPG
Canal Street Chestnut Trapper.jpg
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: American Chestnut Knives

Post by Colonel26 »

Very cool. I have a stockman and I love it. Hop town isn't too far from me either, my sister-in-law is from there so that makes it special too.

My pa used to talk about gathering wild chestnuts. He loved chestnuts, and so do I. He would always talk about how the old wild ones were better than these oriental ones we have now. Can you imagine what the deer would look like if we still had the number of chestnut trees that they claim we had in the early 20 th century? Wow!

There were a handful of trees that survived the blight, and work is being done to reintroduce the native chestnut. I hope I live to see it in my lifetime.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Very interesting Phil! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Colonel26 wrote:There were a handful of trees that survived the blight, and work is being done to reintroduce the native chestnut. I hope I live to see it in my lifetime.

I have heard of this too Colonel. I hope it's successful.
One of our national tragedies really, the loss of the Chestnut. It is every thing Oak is and more.

Great post, Phil.
Joe
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Rockford is known as the Forest City because of the many old growth Elm trees that used to line our streets and populate our many parks before being decimated by Dutch Elm Disease in the mid-1950s. In spite of the name, Dutch Elm Disease, like Chestnut blight, originated in the Orient.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Phil, that's some slab! Really is a shame, I heard that when the trees flowered in springtime it looked like the mountains were covered with snow. Those trees fed a tremendous amount of wildlife, from deer, birds and squirrels to bear. It was an ecological disaster when those giants died.
Attachments
American-Chestnuts-in-North-Carolina-in-1910.jpg
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Thanks for posting that Phil. I have been eyeballing those American Chestnut Canal Streets ever since they came out... sure are some handsome pieces of cutlery. Isn't there another maker that is offering knives made with wood from that same barn? Kabar maybe?? Is Canal Street making those for Kabar too I wonder? ::hmm::
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

313 Mike,

Not sure which knife you are talking about (KaBar) although I do know for a fact that Canal Street does make knives for Kabar.

I bought Kabars Dog Head Barlow and Dog Head Pinch Lock Backs with Copper Bolsters. These were manufactured by Canal Street exclusively for Kabar.

Tom
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

KA3112-3313.jpg
KA3111-3211.jpg
Here are a few of the Kabar dog's head reclaimed American Chestnut knives...Sure look like they were made by CS to me.
AG Russell is selling them....
Mike

Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

LOL
I would bet my paycheck on it....those are Canal Street Knives

Tom
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Mike that stockman is the spitting image of my Canal street stockman except for the dog's head shield.

I love mine.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Mike those Kabars were absolutely, positutely made by Canal Street. You can take that to the bank. BTW nice knives! ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Our local Houston area club, the Gulf Coast Knife Club, had Canal Street trappers for this years club knife. We had a total of 26 knives. 12 handled in Reclaimed American Chestnut Wood and 14 were handled in Smooth Sunset Bone. The Chestnut wood trappers sold out fast. Very good quality knives.

Wayne
Attachments
Canal Street trappers.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

Canal Street makes/made the Kabar Dogs Head knives
http://www.droppointhunter.com
michael@droppointhunter.com
The Drop Point Hunter, Inc
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Mike, great to hear from you, haven't seen you in a while! ::tu::

We did the chestnut ones for them but have since then pretty much switched over to the copper bolstered line. Here's an example:
Attachments
Kabar Barlow_485.JPG
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Dang that copper bolstered Barlow is handsome! What is the steel on those blades? That sure would age nicely with carbon steeled blades. Any reason why CS doesn't use carbon steel? In keeping in line with the Schrade tradition and the classic look of many of their patterns it sure would seem to make good sense...
Mike

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I picked up a couple of Canal Street knives with the Reclaimed American Chestnut handles at the Voyles Show in Pigeon Forge, Tn. this weekend. One is a pinch lockback and the other is a Catskill Hunter made for the NRA.
Attachments
NRA Catskills Hunter
NRA Catskills Hunter
Pinch Lockbback
Pinch Lockbback
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Looks like you had a good show Phil! ::tu::
Roger
bembry

Post by bembry »

I picked up a Canal Street Chestnut Barlow about a year and a half ago--beautiful knife! I'll find and post some pictures...
titanNV

Post by titanNV »

Anyone know the final production numbers of the Chestnut for each pattern?

I still have a pinch lock.

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”