CSC Squeeze Discussion?

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
paddlindan

CSC Squeeze Discussion?

Post by paddlindan »

I've joined recently and have posted some pictures of my CSC knives in other threads. This is my first topic started. I hope it is within the rules.

I am partial to single blade lock-back knives. (I have 3 Pinches and a few of other brands.) I've been eying CSC's large lack-back, the Squeeze, for some time.

It seems like there aren't many of these around, and not much discussion about them. Member "WillClinger" stated in another thread on 1/5/15: "The Catskill Hunter has the same overall and blade length as an open Squeeze, but its blade is wider and thicker and didn't slice quite as well even though the factory edge seemed plenty sharp." He has also stated in other places that he uses his Squeeze for day hikes.

I've searched these forums and the web in general and not found much about them except size (5" closed, 3 3/4" blade) and that they are D2.

DPH has a few nice ones. AGR had some but they are sold out. There seem to be a few chestnut, black buffalo horn, and white bone ones for sale from various web retailers. I rarely see any on ebay.

I'd be interested in hearing of owner's opinions of CSC's Squeeze as a large user. At 5" closed, my guess its a little too large for EDC, at least in a front pocket. At that size, maybe a fixed blade is a better idea.

I'm not going to baton wood with it (that's a whole other story.) I'm thinking of hiking/camping/hunting, for cutting and slicing things when a little more blade and muscle than a Pinch would seem appropriate for.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

dan
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: CSC Squeeze Discussion?

Post by philco »

I only own one example of the Squeeze model thus far. Mine is a mint Red Abolone handlled example. I have not used it nor do I plan to. I've got several user grade lockbacks so there's no need in me taking this one out of the 'safe queen' collection.

What I can tell you is that based on its design it would make an excellent knife to carry in the belt sheath that comes with it. The D2 blade steel is the same as in the Canal Street congress I carry daily. It is excellent steel IMO. It sharpens up well and holds an edge a long time. Although it's not technically classified as a stainless steel, it does resist staining and rust very well.

I think you'd be well pleased using one. If you do so, please let us know your opinions.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
paddlindan

Post by paddlindan »

Thank-you for that reply.
I saw a picture of the red abalone Squeeze from the searching I did on this forum prior to my original post.
That is one impressive knife.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Now I'm intreagued. 5 inches closed you say? That sounds just about perfect for FP edc. I'm gonna have to put one of those on the list!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
paddlindan

Post by paddlindan »

Michael at DPH indicates 5" (I assume closed) in his description and 8 3/4" fully open, which seems consistent to me. AGRussel's description and the member I quote above provide information that is also consistent with these measurements (if not exact to the 1/16" but I'm not worried about such little differences.)

That makes the Squeeze similar lot like a LB-7, Buck 110, or Benchmade 710, in overall size, although probably lighter and slimmer than the Schrade or Buck.

I've read that people put 110s in their back pocket, but sheath carry is probably more likely.

Seems like a big knife for front pocket EDC to me, maybe I have small pockets...
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Hey Dan, welcome aboard. I have two of the squeeze
Pattern and also have not used them. I will say they feel good in the hand and the size and shape sure look like they would make a lot of jobs on the trail and at camp a pleasure. To big for the pocket in my opinion. To small to be caught out unexpectedly without any other knife. That's why you need one of everything. P.S any canal street in the white bone is awesome. And buffalo horn. And chestnut. And so on. It's a sickness really. Good luck. Post pics. Love to see em.
Jay
WillClinger

Post by WillClinger »

Hello, and welcome. You've shown some nice pictures here.

The Squeeze is 218mm (8.6 inches) long when open and 124mm (4.9 inches) closed.
It weighs about as much as two Pinches: roughly 120g, or a bit over four ounces.

I carry mine in a leather belt pouch I made myself. The pouch that came with it would
have worked fine, but I like to make my own pouches.

Will
2013kSqueeze.jpg
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Nice knife Will
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I only have one Squeeze in my gatherings, Jade and it looks great on my shelf...LOL
I bought my brother one last year just before deer season and it has become his number one go to knife for field dressing and using when he is on the hunt!

I was just handling a prototype Squeeze that Wally had at this years Shot Show this week. It is a new material he is using on his current patterns....Black on Black Linen Micarta....absolutely stunning in hand. Photos do not do it justice at all.

I am particular to the Pinch Lock Back and English Barlows personally and I believe I have at least one of every one they have made thus far.

Welcome aboard and glad to see some more Canal Street Fans.

Tom

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”