Why you should be buying Canal Street knives

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
JAMESC41001

Why you should be buying Canal Street knives

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Most of you know CSC makes knives in the same building where Ulster and Schrade made knives previously. In fact the part of the building they operate in is where schrade made their fixed blade knives, like the 171uh for example. Some of the same people that worked there for schrade are back their with CSC. This small group of craftsman have a combined 300 years experience in cutlery, with almost 200 years of knife making tradition in the Hudson valley region behind them. The knives they produce are more like custom pieces being done on a relatively large scale as opposed to production knives being made on a relatively small scale. Unfortunately thes knives may be the tail end of what is an important part of our country's history. For now though their is a chance to purchase some very fine knives made by hand using some of the best materials available. Like this one. The handle material was purchased in small quantity from the shop of an italian knife maker who had been making knives since the Second World War. The bone is beautiful, D2 steel, just an awesome knife. One I will be proud to pass down to my son. I don't know of another knife company making anything as nice and full of history like this.
Attachments
image.jpg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Why you should be buying Canal Street knives

Post by philco »

Well sir, you've persuaded me. I'm gonna give em a try. :mrgreen:
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

I know Phil I'm preaching to the choir.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

JAMESC41001 wrote:I know Phil I'm preaching to the choir.

Maybe so, but you'll get more 'amens' that way. ::woot::

BTW I agree with everything you said in your first post.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

I can give that an amen too James!
http://www.droppointhunter.com
michael@droppointhunter.com
The Drop Point Hunter, Inc
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I am with each of you as well! I have purchase the majority of my knives thru droppointhunter.com and wouldn't have it any other way!

Canal Street Knives are Top Quality manufactured knives and I will continue to purchase them as long as I can

Tom
reddirtknives
Location: Okrahoma where the wind comes sreeping down the prain

Post by reddirtknives »

That convinced me too but I think that one cost a good $35-$45 dollars more than an Uncle Henry 885UH :( I've never owned a CSC knife therefor never used one. The few that I've had in hand were nice in every way. If one of you fellas have a duplicate or a lightly used one that doesn't carry that minty new collector price you know like closer to the 885UH ebay price I'd be a buyer and a try'r :)
DJ Red Tater Tip ~ Killer of Threads, Solo Pioneer in The Intergalactic Cutlery Trade
... ... `.~ RED DIRT KNIVES ~.` ... ...
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

reddirtknives wrote:That convinced me too but I think that one cost a good $35-$45 dollars more than an Uncle Henry 885UH :( I've never owned a CSC knife therefor never used one. The few that I've had in hand were nice in every way. If one of you fellas have a duplicate or a lightly used one that doesn't carry that minty new collector price you know like closer to the 885UH ebay price I'd be a buyer and a try'r :)

AAPK member Redtrout bought up a bunch of factory seconds and overrun items at the recent Canal Street factory sale. Perhaps he'd have one that would fill the bill at a bargain price.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

just picked up my first CSC knives, Moon Pie Trapper with American Chestnut and a Half Moon trapper with American Chestnut.i'm pleased to say, i'm very happy with both of them!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Welcome to the family Turtle. ::tu::

I hope you'll add many more fine Canal Street knives to your collection.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Thanks Phil,
Got my eye on a few others,both folders and fixed blades.
WillClinger

Post by WillClinger »

Turtle wrote:just picked up my first CSC knives, Moon Pie Trapper with American Chestnut and a Half Moon trapper with American Chestnut.i'm pleased to say, i'm very happy with both of them!
Those are nice designs. For me, the slim HMT is the perfect pocket knife.

I carried a Buck 301 stockman for almost twenty years and never thought its small spey blade was particularly useful, but I love the spey blade on Canal Street's full size trapper: It's the right size and shape for slicing cheese and sausage, and the long straight edge makes it easy to sharpen.

Will
WillClinger

Post by WillClinger »

Looks like I've been following this thread's advice:
Attachments
2014kCSCcloset.jpg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Wow that's a great selection of knives and a nicely composed photo as well. Looks like you're off and running with your Canal Street collection. I love em. ::nod::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Real nice collection willclinger, I have a new one to post also. Try and get some pics up tomorrow.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Very nice Will,really like that St Elmo's fire.
WillClinger

Post by WillClinger »

Thanks, guys.
Turtle wrote:Very nice Will,really like that St Elmo's fire.
The royal blue Kirinite shows nice depth. At first, however, I thought it didn't quite go with the straightforwardly practical design. The Catskill Hunter has the same overall and blade length as an open Squeeze, but its blade is wider and thicker and didn't slice quite as well even though the factory edge seemed plenty sharp. After several months of using it like an overbuilt Mora, I was surprised by how easy it was to resharpen and delighted by how well it cuts and slices with a slightly more acute edge. It has become my favorite camp knife.

I'm glad I used it enough to appreciate it.
paddlindan

Post by paddlindan »

Hello, all. My 1st post to the AAPK forum. By way of introduction, a few pictures of my CSC knives.
Attachments
These amber stag bone handles are my first non-wood naturals. I'm beginning to understand why they are well-liked.
These amber stag bone handles are my first non-wood naturals. I'm beginning to understand why they are well-liked.
EDC Pinches
EDC Pinches
The Pinches are all from Michael at DPH. The ancestor pictured was my father's.
The Pinches are all from Michael at DPH. The ancestor pictured was my father's.
gino

Post by gino »

WELCOME !

Nice looking knives!
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

::welcome:: Nice knives.
Roger
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Nice knives! I like that you included the ancestor knife. It's an important part of why canal street knives are what they are. Good idea for a new thread.
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Here is a Bowie I got recently. This has a lot of time put into it. Antique bone, tapered tang, engraved bolsters and red liners. Pretty happy to have this one. Wish I could take better pics. They never seem to capture the full beauty of the knife.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”