Canal Street Warranty Woes

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
RandyFew

Canal Street Warranty Woes

Post by RandyFew »

My 2012 AAPK knife from Canal Street was developing dark stains near the bolsters on all 4 corners. I could also detect some kind of build up where the stains were. I sent them an email on November 6th, and they told me to send it in. I sent it later that day. I got the USPS confirmation a few days later. Since then I have emailed and telephoned countless times. One time, I even sent Wally an email.
He had the secretary reply. On one of my calls up there, the guy who answered told me that they had a problem with the handle material that required them to epoxy the handles prior to penning them. He said that oil probably reacted with the epoxy that wasn't cleaned off. I have asked, pleaded and begged for my knife back to no avail. I even asked for my knife back unrepaired. I bought an extra from Bryan recently to keep my collection intact. Is this an uncommon situation or is the norm for Canal Street? They make great knives, but in my experience their warranty
leaves a lot to be desired. (I'm being polite.)

Randy :evil:
AAPK Member 7001. Joined September 9, 2011.

Proud United States Army Veteran. 1971 - 1979

I've done so much, for so long, with so little, I can do anything with nothing.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Canal Street Warranty Woes

Post by philco »

Randy, please check your messages.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Definitely the exception not the norm Randy. I've always had amazing response to any questions or issues. Almost always by Wally himself. When I had visited the factory I noticed him responding personally to a hand written letter. I remember being impressed that such a busy man would take the time to handle these things himself. That may be part of the delay. Good luck
Jay
RandyFew

Post by RandyFew »

Many thanks to one of our members, my knife is being replaced and will ship ASAP.

::ds::

Randy

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That sounds like my one and only experience with them. Weeks would go by with no correspondence. They finally did fix it, so to speak. But definitely up to their price point.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
RandyFew

Post by RandyFew »

I thought long and hard before making this public. I had gotten to the point where I thought this was my best option. I don't know their work load, etc. All I know is that when I was working, customer service was number 1. I appreciate them making this right and will post pics when I get it. ::clapping::

Randy

coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

RandyFew wrote:I thought long and hard before making this public. I had gotten to the point where I thought this was my best option.
I'm glad you got the problem resolved. I have to agree that thinking about it long and hard before posting was a good idea . . . and truth be told, you're a more patient man than I am. I returned my only CSC and took the loss, rather than risk a headache like this with CSC's customer service.

If it is any consolation (probably not), there was a guy over on BFC who waited more than a year before saying anything. . . . ::disgust::
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Randy please keep us posted on how this all plays out.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
RandyFew

Post by RandyFew »

Still waiting. ::shrug::

RandyFew

Post by RandyFew »

I've been slow to post pics of the replacement AAPK knife from Canal Street. There is a small crack at one of the pins, but that is probably due to the handle material. ::shrug:: It took a little prodding, but now I'm satisfied. ::tu::

Randy

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I'm happy for you. It's good to know they made it right with you. :)
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
RandyFew

Post by RandyFew »

Thanks Phil. The mark of a good company is how they deal with customer problems. ::clapping::

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”