Straight Razor Help Joseph Woodwell & CO Pittsburgh, PA

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
just bob

Straight Razor Help Joseph Woodwell & CO Pittsburgh, PA

Post by just bob »

Asking for help here. I only have one book with straight razors - not in there. Nothing about this on ebay and even in completed items. Only thing on Google is catalogs. I even tried to join a straight razor forum and am apparently not smart enough to fill out their application so gave up after 15 minutes.

Can someone look this up for me and provide any information. Must be rare? Value?

Joseph Woodwell & Co Pittsburgh, PA
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
XX Case XX

Re: Straight Razor Help

Post by XX Case XX »

The only thing I came up with was a catalog of that company from 1936 that contained pocket knives as well as furniture, mining tools, and stone mason tools.

Couldn't find anything about straight razors, but since that catalogue contained cutlery items, it's seems logical that they made straight razors as well.

I'm sure someone here knows something about those but I sure couldn't find it.

Post by cato »

I LOOKED UP THEY WERE A LARGE HARDWARE CO FROM AROUND 1884
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Did you check Goins?

He originally published razor and knife brands and as far as I know, never removed the razor marks from his books.

I cannot get at mine at the moment.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Just saw this. Goins did not list that co.

Randy
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I checked Goins in the "J" section, as well. Sometimes, he used the first letter in a tang stamp to alphabetize it. I realize this is a proper name, but thought I'd check anyway.

Not there, either.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
just bob

Post by just bob »

Thanks to those that tried to help. It's been pointed out to me that there is a straight razor forum on this site and if that I would post this question and a picture of the razor there I might get better results. I intend to do that now. If one of the mods want you can delete this post. Thanks again.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
just bob

Joseph Woodwell & CO

Post by just bob »

I'm not much into straight razors and got this in with some other things. Not in great condition but apparently not a very common item. It is not listed in any of the major publications. Any idea on value on this?

Joseph Woodwell & CO Pittsburgh, PA
Attachments
a 1.JPG
a 2.JPG

Owd Wullie

Re: Straight Razor Help Joseph Woodwell & CO Pittsburgh, PA

Post by Owd Wullie »

Not familiar with that name either. Possibly a Sheffield razor made for Woodwell & Co which was a hardware store in Pittsburg "back in the day".

Looks like the razor has seen better days. Appears to be a 4/8 "rattler" grind or a faux frame back. That style razor was made pretty much from the about the 1840's to the 1920's. My guess is that one is 1880's to early 1900's. Probably pre 1892 as it doesn't show a country of origin.

Doubt it will bring much in its current condition unless someone from that area wanted it for sentimental reasons. Might bring $20 on ebay or it might go through the roof.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: Straight Razor Help Joseph Woodwell & CO Pittsburgh, PA

Post by Paladin »

Owd Wullie wrote:Not familiar with that name either. Possibly a Sheffield razor made for Woodwell & Co which was a hardware store in Pittsburg "back in the day".

Looks like the razor has seen better days. Appears to be a 4/8 "rattler" grind or a faux frame back. That style razor was made pretty much from the about the 1840's to the 1920's. My guess is that one is 1880's to early 1900's. Probably pre 1892 as it doesn't show a country of origin.

Doubt it will bring much in its current condition unless someone from that area wanted it for sentimental reasons. Might bring $20 on ebay or it might go through the roof.
Wullie,
Check your PMs.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”