BIG iron

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Owd Wullie

BIG iron

Post by Owd Wullie »

Three Masonic etched razors from Sheffield. 1850'-1860's The top one is an 8/8. the other two are 9/8's.
The middle one is Edward Leon and Co. most all the razors you see made by him were BIG Masonic etched blades.
Attachments
MASONS.jpg
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: BIG iron

Post by jerryd6818 »

Don't know what the hell you're talking about Willie but sure glad you're talking about it here. ::handshake::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wow Willie! Now thise are some heavy shavers. Very cool. You gonna dress em up and whittle your whiskers with em?

I'm still shaving with those two you fixed up for me. I couldn't even think of going back to a safety razor now!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

WOW!!!
All that etching is impressive, Willie. Very handsome razors.
Joe
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Owd Wullie - nice stuff. I am a bit of a sucker for arcane symbols: I could really go for one of those razors if I did not have a full beard!
Mel
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

jerryd6818 wrote:Don't know what the hell you're talking about Willie but sure glad you're talking about it here. ::handshake::
LOL Jerry, 8/8=1" blade width measuring from the spine to the edge. 9/8=1 1/8". In other words, those are big old heavy razors. By the turn of the 20th century, the most common razor size was 5/8.

The top razor was made by George Savage & Sons. The middle by Edward Leon & Co, the bottom by Wm Greaves and Sons. The etch on the Savage is pretty weak compared to the other two.

They're all honed and great shavers. The big ones like that are fun to shave with. They don't fool around. They're heavy compared to later full hollow ground razors and they require a deft hand. They will shave as close as one of those 5 blade plastic POS's.

Since I've learned to shave with a straight, I've actually bled less than I did with the plastic crap. I've got a couple of small permanent reminders of my stupidity, but I really enjoy shaving with the old stuff.

It's interesting to ponder just who bought the razors to start with and what their life was like. Same with old pocket knives, if only they could talk.

Here's what the Savage looked like when I got it.
http://s658.photobucket.com/user/Wullie ... t=9&page=1
I've since installed a set of period scales on it, cleaned it up, and honed it. It's the smallest of the three but it weighs within grams of the two larger ones. The Taylor's "eye witness" in that folder came with the Savage. It's a 7/8 and sweet shaving razor as well. I've got several Taylor's razors of varying ages, grinds, and sizes. They're all great shavers. It's hard to beat old Sheffield cutlery.

The American razors of the late 19th/early 20th Century have some of the hardest steel of any razors I've found. You rarely see them in grinds other than full hollow and you rarely encounter them in sizes above 6/8. As most of them were made alongside knives, the tang stamp collectors run the prices of US stuff up to more than I'm interested in paying. Most of them are well used which speaks highly of their utility. Pretty much all of them made after 1880 are full hollow ground ( a German development ) and I really don't care for that grind as it is noisy when you shave. The blade flexes a lot as well. They shave great, but I like the heavier grinds such as the quarter and half hollow.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Owd Wullie wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:Don't know what the hell you're talking about Willie but sure glad you're talking about it here. ::handshake::
LOL Jerry, 8/8=1" blade width measuring from the spine to the edge. 9/8=1 1/8". In other words, those are big old heavy razors. By the turn of the 20th century, the most common razor size was 5/8.
Gottcha. Like raw lumber comes in four quarter, five quarter, six quarter, etc thicknesses. Thanks Willie.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Oh Willie! I bet those do shave good! And I'm with ya, I don't knick myself, have razor burn near hardly as bad with a straight razor as I did with a safety razor.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here's one that is unmarked.At least an 8/8 with very little concave grind.Looks to be all original and the filework on the tang appears to be hand done.Not sure what type of wood the scales are but it looks almost like red oak but smooth.
Attachments
HugeUnmarkedRazor.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Interesting. And BIG. May have been a shop made by a local smith or cutler or it may have been reground and re-scaled at some point.

Neat old blade for sure.
Umcknifeguy

Post by Umcknifeguy »

Dang Willie thats some fine lookin heavy steel!!!! I tried out my Joseph Rodgers 8/8 shaves decent but im gonna send it out for a professional honing. I didnt get it just right and im not gonna play around with that one. Make me jealous every time you post a razor!

Travis
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Umcknifeguy wrote:Dang Willie thats some fine lookin heavy steel!!!! I tried out my Joseph Rodgers 8/8 shaves decent but im gonna send it out for a professional honing. I didnt get it just right and im not gonna play around with that one. Make me jealous every time you post a razor!

Travis
Did you hone it to start with? Sometimes a layer or two of electrical tape along the spine will raise the blade enough to get a smaller bevel. A lot of those big one have some pretty heavy spine wear. Uneven wear makes even MORE interesting to try to hone.

Once you get her honed up, you'll love it I'm thinking. Shoot me a PM as to where you're gonna send it for honing. I know several guys that do great work and will be glad to recommend one if you're interested.
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

More "big iron" .
Attachments
DSCN2148.JPG
JWheeler331

Post by JWheeler331 »

Very nice.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

knife7knut wrote:Here's one that is unmarked.At least an 8/8 with very little concave grind.Looks to be all original and the filework on the tang appears to be hand done.Not sure what type of wood the scales are but it looks almost like red oak but smooth.
I bet that one would do the job!

Excellent razors all! I can't imagine shaving any other way now.
Robert E. Lee

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”