new find

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
sandmak

new find

Post by sandmak »

Ok this is my very first razor . I know nothing about them with that being said this was thrown in with a pocket knife I picked up today any info would be great and Thanks Robert (sandmak) has #67 and GENERAL LEE on one side and Ramsey Barbers Supply Made in Germany on the other side.
Attachments
razor 001.jpg
razor 002.jpg
razor 003.jpg
Owd Wullie

Re: new find

Post by Owd Wullie »

Looks like a 4/8 ( 1/2 blade width from spine to edge) German import of the first part of the 20th Century. The German razor industry made razors with about anyone's label/stamp on the tang that the customer wanted.

From what I can see it appears to have some issues with rust at the heel of the blade. The rust at the front up toward the spine is not as big a deal.

One of the biggest problems with old "full" hollow ground razors like yours is that the steel is so thin at the edge that just about any rust in that area pretty much ruins them. That razor being a 4/8 would be difficult to cut the edge back to good steel and still have enough blade to hone and keep the geometry of the edge. 4/8 razors are bit of trick to use and not recommended for beginners.

From what I see if you were to try to use that razor, the blade length would be shortened quite a bit, or if you decided to try to maintain the full length, you'd end up with about a 3/8 razor that would be a pain to hone and use.

Don't know from your post if you intend to try to use that razor or just admire it. Not trying to run your razor down, but I would suggest the latter.

Willie
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
sandmak

Post by sandmak »

Amen to the just admire it. Wouldn't even pretend to know how to use one of those it was a freebie . I cleaned up a little with 1500 grit paper and it looks a little better still sharp as blank probably try and trade it for something else if its even worth that, Thanks for the info. Robert (sandmak) p.s. I got most of the original box all but paper label around the top of the box.
Jeremiah7

Post by Jeremiah7 »

Would you be interested in selling?

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”