Because MURRICA!!!!!

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Owd Wullie

Because MURRICA!!!!!

Post by Owd Wullie »

Buddy of mine up in UT came across a shoe box full of old razors that a barber friend of his was wanting to sell. I bought a couple a while back and my buddy bought the rest. There were some NICE old razors in that pile.

A bit later he wanted to know if I would hone a couple for him. I said sure and he sent me this one and another Northfield that some clown in Salt Lake had "honed" on a belt sander. Interestingly enough, the one that was honed on the belt sander wouldn't shave, but it honed up easy and took a nice edge. Razor suffered from the abuse but it is a good shaver.

This punk was a straight running PITA to hone. After several tries, what seemed like a half roll of tape, and lots of nasty language, I lucked out and it started shaving. Bevel varies wildly in width, but it shaves AWESOME as a matter of fact. I tried to trade him out of it, but he was having none of that.

Some months later, I saw a Clauss USMC languishing on ebay and bought it for way less than most sell for. It was a 6/8 that had virtually no wear. It did have a couple of rust spots high up on the blade, but the razor was sound. I honed it up and like every Clauss I've ever messed with, it took a great edge and shaved wonderfully. I sent some pics to my buddy, who just happens to be a retired GySgt and he wanted it. Told him it was his for the this Northfield. I sent him the Clauss, told him to play with it and send me either the Northfield or the Clauss back. The Northfield came in Saturday.

It's a strong 5/8 about a half hollow, hard rubber scales, and I LOVE IT!!
DSC_5209.JPG
Attachments
DSC_5208.JPG
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Because MURRICA!!!!!

Post by orvet »

Willie,
You got a picture of the USMC?
I don't think I have ever seen one.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Love it! Very cool old razor.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Willie, nice looking razor and a great old stamp.
Joe
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

orvet wrote:Willie,
Here ya go, these are the ebay pics. There were a couple of different variations. The other was nickel plated and they have issues nowadays with the plating. This is the later model from around WWI.
USMC1.jpg
USMC2.jpg
Attachments
USMC3.jpg
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Umcknifeguy

Post by Umcknifeguy »

Nice Northfield Willie! But I love me a Clauss
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Owd Wullie wrote:
orvet wrote:Willie,
Here ya go, these are the ebay pics. There were a couple of different variations. The other was nickel plated and they have issues nowadays with the plating. This is the later model from around WWI.
USMC1.jpg
USMC2.jpg
Do you think that one was issued?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Been a lot of speculation on that Jerry. I don't know for a fact that they were issued or not. As there were two different versions, they could very well have been issued. The earlier version was nickle plated, but the plating on those has a tendency to shed due to getting worn off at the spine and edge from honing. All that I've seen of those are usually in pretty sad shape.

General consensus is that the plated razors were issued/sold to troops around the Spanish-American war era and the ones like I posted are closer to WWI.

Bear in mind that King Gillette was giving safety razor kits to all the troops in WWI in order to get his product in front of the masses. It worked. LOL
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Here you go Wullie, not as nice as your's but I don't think it's been used.
The stamp's look the same, I'm wondering if the Marine Corp bought these and stamped them.
If legit it's a nice piece of military cutlery.

Bob
Attachments
Clauss  USMC 007.JPG
Clauss  USMC 004.JPG
Clauss  USMC 005.JPG
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Hey Bob!!

Clauss, Fremont, Ohio made and marked the razors.

Story I got is that they were issued, then King Gillette started giving his razors to the military.

The rest is pretty much history for the end of straight shaving.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”