Awesome old Remington DuPont floor knife display

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Awesome old Remington DuPont floor knife display

Post by Miller Bro's »

If it was me I would try to leave as much of the original cabinet together. If you replace both sides of the plywood then the majority of the cabinet is gone. I see where the bottom is delaminated, maybe put a wide baseboard around the bottom to cover that part. Rebuild the back drawers clean the wood up and it would make a great display as is.

If you're looking for perfection then use this one as a template for measurements and create an entirely new cabinet, heck while you are at it make a few of them you'll probably need them down the road or there's probably a couple guys on this forum that would buy one :wink:

Best of luck whatever you decide to do ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

If you ask around a little you can probably find someone capable of painting a duplicate of the decal for you. There are folks that can do it, you just have to find them. When I was restoring an old John Deere Model D tractor a few years ago, and needed someone to paint the emblems, I contacted the art teacher at the local high school. She recommended a 17 year old that was one of her students. Using what remained of the old painted symbol and a photograph, he did a great job and for a very reasonable price. Best of all he was thrilled to do it! ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Thanks for all the replies guys. You guys have gave me a lot to think on for sure. I really appreciate all the advice. That's why I love AAPK cause everyone is willing to lend knowledge and experience to help those who need it. I will keep everyone updated on things. :)
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
aggiereb

Post by aggiereb »

I have an identical Remington/Dupont knife floor display, although mine is in exceptionally good shape requirng very little renovation. It came from a defunct hardware store in Jacksonville, TX. All I've ever done is put furniture polish on it.

Any interest out there?

Let me know if you would like pictures.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

aggiereb wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:11 pm I have an identical Remington/Dupont knife floor display, although mine is in exceptionally good shape requirng very little renovation. It came from a defunct hardware store in Jacksonville, TX. All I've ever done is put furniture polish on it.

Any interest out there?

Congratulations on a good find!
You are the first person to post on this thread since 2017, so be patient for replies.
Also, post pictures of your display. We love to see knives and knife stuff here!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

aggiereb wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:11 pm I have an identical Remington/Dupont knife floor display, although mine is in exceptionally good shape requirng very little renovation. It came from a defunct hardware store in Jacksonville, TX. All I've ever done is put furniture polish on it.

Any interest out there?

I would be grateful to see pictures.
enuf
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by enuf »

Well, since this thread got a new life - I sure hope he kept it original. I thought of putting a baseboard around it also and would attach it with the least amount of invasion as possible. It is what it is, that is why it is.
Dan - ATA NSSA

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”