My first Remington

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
ludwig26

My first Remington

Post by ludwig26 »

Got this late the other night on eBay.
My questions are.
1. It has 2 tang stamps Remington UMC with a circle around it on 1 blade. Goins says 1921-24
Remington UMC with a circle around it and made in USA
Around the outside of the circle on other blade. Goins says1924-33.
Is two different tang stamps normal? I would think they were just using blades they had on hand.
2. There is no pattern number. Is this correct.
I've tried to take pictures, but there not great.
Thanks for the help
Kerry
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Remumc

Re: My first Remington

Post by Remumc »

Normal for main blade to have the tang stamp that can be used to date the knife. Very common for the small or remaining blades to just have the circled Remington UMC.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Re: My first Remington

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

::welcome:: ludwig26 to one of the best, and the most friendly knife forum on the net.
As Remumc stated it is common to see the tang stamp variation as you describe on the blades.

What I think you have appears to be a Remington pen pattern R7044
should have a spear and pen blade as yours shows and no shield
noted beautiful pearl handles and a nickel silver bail, need a better look at that bail to make sure it is original. The knife length should be 2 9/16" closed. Most often these little knives were used as a watch fob.

According to the Tang stamp the production circa is indeed 1921-1924.
This should have the pattern number R7044 stamped on the reverse of the tang stamp of main blade.

You have a beautiful knife my friend and from what I can see in your photos appears to be an original production Remington.
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”