Remington Purina Knife

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
just bob

Remington Purina Knife

Post by just bob »

This knife raises some red flags to me. Like the bolsters having a vertical line and also being crimped or scalloped. Also the rocker pin is proud of the handle and has a head on it. None of those things match the 4 blade Remington Purina knives I have. Looks like the blades and frame are Remington. Knife just doesn't look right compared to the ones I have. I know there are people in this forum that have studied Remington's for years and would appreciate comments.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311761698047?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Attachments
purina.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Remington Purina Knife

Post by btrwtr »

Not an expert on these knives but can't say that I like it for the reasons you have stated. Maybe a franken Remington. Bolsters look like they came from a Remington scout pattern.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Remumc

Post by Remumc »

R4235 Red White and Blue scout pattern has the same frame and bolsters but with a bail. If reworked it was a long time ago.
just bob

Post by just bob »

I appreciate the comments on this knife. It's great to be able to post these pictures and learn from the experience. I was looking at this again this morning. In the first picture are 4 - 4 blade Remington Purina knives. They are 3 5/16" long, have smooth bolsters on both ends and no vertical lines in them. The rocker pin is also flush with the handle material. In the 2nd picture there is a 4 blade Remington Purina knife along with a R,W, & B Remington girl scout knife that is also 3 5/16" long. The frame on the girl scout knife matches the ebay knife with the scalloped or crimped bolsters and vertical lines. It also looks as if the ebay knife came with a bail that has been removed at some point. The 4 blade Purina knives do not have a bail. Additionally if you go to Google and search for Remington Purina knife and then click on images - of the knives that come up all of the 4 blade Purina knives have smooth bolsters on both ends and rocker pins flush with the handle material. Not a real common knife and not a lot of them to study. It looks to me as if the ebay knife is a Franken knife and doesn't match any other known 4 blade Remington Purina knives that are pictured on the Internet. Are there known examples of knives like this in books or collections?
Attachments
a 1.JPG
a 2.JPG
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Also the same bolsters as the RS4233 Official Scout knife. Looking at the auction pics it looks like the area on the master pile side tang has been obscured. Could be an attempt to delete the pattern numbers that should not be present on a Rem Purina knife. Since the Purina knives were giveaway premium type it doesn't make sense that the bolsters on any of them would be pinched and grooved.

Remington frankenknife that survived through the organ donor program.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

just as a reminder...http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 67&t=47731
Not much more to add than hasn't already been discussed.
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
Remumc

Post by Remumc »

I don't see any sign of a bail being removed? If it had a bail it would have been on the punch end most likely and that end looks fine. The punch if removed would have left a hollow crosspin. Also if this was originally a scout frame it would have had a notch for the can opener. So I think it is an original purina and at most has had the main blade replaced. Shrinkage and wear could have caused the center pin to be proud. The only red flag I see is the rotten spot where a pattern number could have been.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”