R-3 Big Game, the only Remington knife I own...

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
CheckSix

R-3 Big Game, the only Remington knife I own...

Post by CheckSix »

Back in the '80s, I'm thinking around '86 or '87 but I could be off by a year or two, I was given this R-3 as a gift at work. I already had a Western S-532 I was using in the field for dressing big game but I got this one and sat on it. Turns out, I never had to use it but being not the collector type back then, I never kept any of the packaging. What I like about this one is the bone saw and gut hook. I always had to carry separate tools for this in the field and this knife had it all. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I understood that these were made by Camillus for Remington. If true, that would explain the quality. Great knife! Always regretted not using it as intended.
Attachments
DSC_8458X.JPG
DSC_8459X.JPG
DSC_8460X.JPG
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
espn77

Re: R-3 Big Game, the only Remington knife I own...

Post by espn77 »

Great looking knife. Ive wanted one but have had a hard time pulling the trigger to get one.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Yes, made by Camillus. The R-3 is now hard to find. With a saw blade, gut hook and knife blade and with both blades locking, it is very well designed for hunting or any outdoor activity.
I think i'll go for the next one i see on the auction site.
kj
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

You won't have too long to wait Roland, as there are half dozen or so on ebay right now. Buy it Now price for the mint one is crazy but it appears some of the auctions may go for a more reasonable price.

Dennis
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Dennis. I will take a look. I already have one of these so i will be 'bottom fishing' with the hope of eventually snagging a second one.
kj

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”