Do fakes exist--Nehi Leg Knife?

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
cody6268

Do fakes exist--Nehi Leg Knife?

Post by cody6268 »

I have another hobby, model car collecting. For that hobby, I went into a new "collectibles" store here locally. 3/4 of the stuff was action figures and video games. In a display of pop advertising stuff, the guy had a Remington Nehi Leg Knife, in like new condition with a chain attached. He wanted $35 for the knife. This is the first original (not Bear made) Remington I've ever seen locally.

The problem is, is that it is like new. I'm afraid it might be a fake.

I plan to talk the guy down to $30.

Not that this one is a fake, but do fakes exist of this knife? And if it isn't a fake--is my offer fair, on the high side, or a bit too cheap? Ebay prices of this knife are $25 without the chain.
robinetn

Re: Do fakes exist--Nehi Leg Knife?

Post by robinetn »

Check out this article , then decide .
Bob
http://ibdennis.com/Nehi%200802a.pdf
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

There are probably more fake Nehi leg knives than real ones left.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Remumc

Post by Remumc »

If it has a chain attached that was an aftermarket add on. Originals did not come with chain. Look at the provided link to the Dennis Ellingsen article for all you need to know. The three shown below are all original near mint with blade etch. An easy and quick way to tell originals is the bottle cap lifter if intact will be a sharp hook on the original. Also note the line across the lower part of the bottle. Most fakes do not have this feature. Also note the different locations of the handle rivets. Fakes are usually on the lines of the shoe while on the originals they are not. There are always a dozen or more fake or reproduction Nehi's on Ebay. many thousands have been sold. A few originals turn up and rarely a near mint original Remington Nehi will turn up. I had three near mints but only have one nice one now.
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... &mode=view
CampbellAr2

Post by CampbellAr2 »

Thankfully I found this article! I nearly pulled the trigger on a Nehi knife, but finally figured out it was a fake

AAPK is an awesome resource!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

CampbellAr2 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:21 am Thankfully I found this article! I nearly pulled the trigger on a Nehi knife, but finally figured out it was a fake

AAPK is an awesome resource!

It always pays to do your research first. 😉👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

There’s one scrolling across the banner now for sale . Thoughts on that one ?
JP
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Reproduction ::nod::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:33 am Reproduction ::nod::
Yep, agreed.

Blade looks stainless.

To my knowledge, originals were never brass/gold tone plated.

No hook in heel to open bottle.

On another note, it surprises me how prevalent these repros are. You see at least ten for every real Remington.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Back in 2008 Knife World had an in depth article on the Nehi Leg Knives. I thought y'all might be interested in reading it.

As always, click twice to get full size.
Nehi Leg Knives - 1.jpg
Nehi Leg Knives - 2.jpg
Nehi Leg Knives - 3.jpg
Nehi Leg Knives - 4.jpg
Nehi Leg Knives - 5.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks, Jerry.
::handshake:: 😉👍

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”