My Grandfather's Scout Knife

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
ScoutLeaderGreg

My Grandfather's Scout Knife

Post by ScoutLeaderGreg »

Hey guys. I'm new to AAPK and new to the formal world of knife collecting. I have an eclectic collection which I'll get to posting soon to research and learn more about what I've got. This first knife has been in the family awhile.

I inherited this knife from my grandfather which I found in his tackle box. So cool to have something of his that's probably quite old. How rare I have no idea. I have a boy who is 9 who's now in his 4th year of Cub Scouts. This will be his someday, but no time soon.

I've done some research to it's age and particulars but haven't really found anything concrete. Maybe some of you experts can make some observations and share your knowledge.

The knife shows some wear as shown but the handle is not cracked anywhere, the blades are in good shape and snap well and move freely. It's a bit dirty but I'll leave it that way.

The logo stamped into the base of the main blade says "Remington UMC" and the other side has the model, RS4233. It's 3-3/8" long closed and the main blade is about 2-9/16", so about 5-7/8" total. The scout logo and wording on the blade are etched in. The pictures tell the story.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Edit: the knife has a blued punch blade, photo in a reply several posts below...

Greg
IMG_1816.JPG
IMG_1817 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1820 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1821 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1824 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1825 - Copy.JPG
ScoutKnives

Re: My Grandfather's Scout Knife

Post by ScoutKnives »

Great story and family heirloom , what you have is a Remington junior scout knife made from 1923-24 with that blade combo .
Welcome to AAPK :)
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

If any of the "dirt" is down inside the knife, I'd reconsider leaving it as is, as grime will wear out moving parts. A good cleaning and oiling won't hurt it one bit, and might make for a better pass-along to your son, when he's ready. Welcome to AAPK
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Greg: Welcome to AAPK ::welcome::

That's a real nice knife you have there. Take good care of it and it will last indefinitely.

Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Welcome to AAPK. ::tu:: Beautiful knife!

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Fine knife in excellent condition. ::tu:: ::tu::
Roger
piney

Post by piney »

Great knife. Thank you for sharing.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Nice knife! Put a drop of oil on the joints wipe off any fingerprints and put it in a safe dry place and it will last another 90 years ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Very cool!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
wlf

Post by wlf »

::welcome::
Great knife to start a collection.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

That sure is a fine knife - but what makes it fantastic is the fact that it was your grandfathers and he was a Scout, you were a Scout, and your son is a Scout - that is really great stuff there! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
ScoutLeaderGreg

Old Hunter wrote:That sure is a fine knife - but what makes it fantastic is the fact that it was your grandfathers and he was a Scout, you were a Scout, and your son is a Scout - that is really great stuff there! OH
And my father was a scout! :D
Thanks OH!
ScoutLeaderGreg

Thanks for the compliments guys. It means a lot!

Greg
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

that lil slim blade scout is a sweetie... !!!

HET
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Great old knife as stated. ::tu::

A couple of point of interest, first, if you notice, the scout emblem is inside an acorn shaped shield. That isn't true for all Remington scouts. Remington used the acorn shield to indicate a punch blade, which is obviously correct for your knife. Second, although we can't see it from the pictures provided, the truly mint knives I've seen from Remington had blued insides on the punch blade. If your knife has the punch blade blued it will enhance the value. Of course, since it was your grandfather's you won't be selling, all the same, good to know.

JMO
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

welcome to AAPK! Nice knife. A wonderful heirloom for sure!

Randy
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Greg really nice Scout Knife. Welcome to the forum.

Harold
ScoutLeaderGreg

msteele6 wrote:Great old knife as stated. ::tu::

A couple of point of interest, first, if you notice, the scout emblem is inside an acorn shaped shield. That isn't true for all Remington scouts. Remington used the acorn shield to indicate a punch blade, which is obviously correct for your knife. Second, although we can't see it from the pictures provided, the truly mint knives I've seen from Remington had blued insides on the punch blade. If your knife has the punch blade blued it will enhance the value. Of course, since it was your grandfather's you won't be selling, all the same, good to know.

JMO
Hey JMO... thanks for the finer points! I'm keeping notes that will be passed on with the knife.
As a matter of fact, this knife does have a blued punch blade. [Photo below.] That blade has some surface corrosion as you can see - feels very smooth so I suspect it's minor. Great to know I have a genuine, rare item here!

All the best! Greg
Blued punch blade
Blued punch blade
ScoutLeaderGreg

Thanks too, HET, JMO, Harold, Randy and all you others whom I didn't name specifically! My momma taught me to always thank people so I feel I have to say thank you to all of you. Truth is, I'm grateful to have found this forum and to the warm reception and kind guidance. :-D

Greg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I have a number of my grandfather's old knives--mostly 1970s Colonials and Imperials which are great knives. In fact, that was what I was started out with--some really beat up knives he didn't care I lost (which I didn't!). Did lose a bail to an electrician's knife, however (it was already loose). Luckily, I salvaged a replacement.

Great looking old Remington. Looks like your grandfather took excellent care of it! Still looks almost new.

I myself was active in Scouting from age 10 to 13--until my life meant I didn't have time for it (I started taking college a little early). My main knife at that time was my Victorinox Fieldmaster--my most carried knife even now. I didn't have the Scout model--just the plain one without the fleur-de-lis stamp (The Victorinox BSA "Huntsman" isn't really a Huntsman at all--it's the Fieldmaster)
Remumc

Post by Remumc »

Nice knife. Amazed that it survived in a tackle box in that condition.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”