Remington Heroism Award Knives - BSA

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Remington Heroism Award Knives - BSA

Post by bestgear »

Good Day,

My name is Tom Cosgrove and after writing a story for Knife World earlier this year on Scout Knives With Compasses I've been bitten by the bug to write another story for them. I've decided to turn the research I've conducted on the Remington Heroism Award Knives into a story for Mark Zalesky to consider for publication in a future edition of Knife Magazine. My previous research is the result of trying to make contact with the family or recipient of one of these knives for years with the hopes of adding one to my almost complete Official Scout knife collection but as I age I've come to realize that in all likelihood that's not going to happen.

Where I could use assistance with the story is if anyone has any information regarding the existence of these knives or any provenance about the knife recipients that would help make the story even more interesting. Is there a Remington museum that might have some information to assist me that you are aware of?

Thank you in advance for your kind consideration to support my project.

Tom Cosgrove
Davidsonville Maryland
202-768-4303
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
ScoutKnives

Re: Remington Heroism Award Knives - BSA

Post by ScoutKnives »

Good luck on the research Tom . I'll send a message to a friend that is a big time Remington collector to see if he has anything that is useful.
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Thanks Mike - I know the names, hometown, Troop and heroic event that led to 24 awards between 1924 and 1926 but I'm not sure that's everyone. I'm a dog on a bone when it comes to this subject, my Rosetta Stone. Thanks for any forensics you can provide.

Hope this finds you well. I'm hoping to meet you this year at the Gator Show. Stay tuned.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

The print Ad for recipient Howard L Burr is for sale on ebay but I'm sure you already know that.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1924-Ad-Remingt ... SwlV9WSoN7
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

My friend contacted me and the only thing he can add is a real picture of one he seen and tried to purchase around 12 years ago . He's out of town at the moment so it will be a couple weeks before I receive the picture .
The only other one I have seen is in a picture and it looked cropped so I personally would love to see the real thing without a fuzzy picture .

Awesome news about coming to the Lakeland knife show . I'll have 2 tables this year with lots for sale .
Will have my wife and kids with me as well .
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Thanks for the link Wazu - I actually have the reprint of 24 recipients that were in Boys Life magazine that includes Mr. Burr.

Thanks for the follow-up Mike, I think the scavenger hunt on this project is going to be more fun than writing the story. So far what I've learned is that most of the awards were given to Scouts (and Scouters) that saved somebody drowning. I wish I knew how Remington decided who was going to get the award and why it only lasted a few years. I could speculate but I'm sure I'd be wrong.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Quick update to an earlier post based on some new information gathered........

So far I have identified 38 recipients of the Remington Award For Heroism dating from January 1924 to November 1927. I have read all of the Boy's Life magazines from 1923 to 1928 and photographs of the recipients along with their heroism act are amazing.

The state most represented is New Jersey with 5 recipients. All of the acts of heroism were saving people from drowning except 2; one was saving a baby from a burning house and the other was rescuing a boy from being hit by a train. All but 2 of the recipients were youth but all of them were registered with the BSA.

As I learn more from my research I will continue to post it here.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”