RH 28 info

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

RH 28 info

Post by garddogg56 »

My sons girlfriend grandpa (an old time farmer),Jake helped him last week at the state fair today he gave Jake a Remington fixed blade he had for use on the farm.Any info on age would be appreciated.thanks
Attachments
IMG_20150823_183603312_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150823_183509209.jpg
IMG_20150823_183649751_HDR.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
ScoutKnives

Re: RH 28 info

Post by ScoutKnives »

The UMC in the stamp should date it before 1935 .

garddogg56 wrote:My sons girlfriend grandpa (an old time farmer),Jake helped him last week at the state fair today he gave Jake a Remington fixed blade he had for use on the farm.Any info on age would be appreciated.thanks
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

So far my research is along your lines Scoutknives cir 1925-32 pre Dupont.
outkast

Post by outkast »

This should help.
Attachments
RH-28.jpg
RH-28-1.jpg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

WOW thanx Outkast ::handshake::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Maybe not a lot of interest on the Remington fixies. I didn't see a dedicated thread, but jumped onto the tailgate of this one. an RH 71 and RH 73. The box goes with the 71. The 71 is mint and the other one is a few hairs behind, with some sharpening scratches. The etches are on the opposite side of the blades than shown in the book on Remington sheath knives by Grimm. Also a little different are the right-hand sheaths. No one seems to know why most of the old Remington sheaths are lefties.
Rems1.jpg
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Nice fixed blades tongueriver.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Specially like the box
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Speculative, but my guess is it is marketing the Remington logo. The curve of the sheath turns left,( as you face the sheath with logo in front of you) related to the natural curve of the blade when the handle on some patterns as demonstrated below or the tang stamp in general shows the Remington brand logo. ::tu::

For those that don't know, here is the cream of the crop in Remington's fixed blade patterns identification as mentioned below.

IDENTIFICATION GUIDE TO REMINGTON SHEATH KNIVES 1925-1940 by D.Y.GRIMM. I recommend this to the collectors of Remington fixed blade knives. A great resource and guide. ::nod::
Attachments
514bbouxyLL._SX357_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

I read somewhere 'er other that the old hunting knives had left-handed
sheathes because a firearm was typically on the right hip .. .. .. .. ::hmm::

::shrug:: ::shrug::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

royal0014 wrote:I read somewhere 'er other that the old hunting knives had left-handed
sheathes because a firearm was typically on the right hip .. .. .. .. ::hmm::

::shrug:: ::shrug::
Mebbe so! I would not discount that theory. I like to carry a handgun crossdraw as well as otherwise; it depends on the situation. For reasons unclear, I always seem to carry the knife on my right side, except when I carry it in a pack, which is just as likely. Cell phone in left pocket. Pocket knife(s) in right pocket with silver dollar. Billfold left rear. Snot rag right rear. In town I have to have a poop bag for the dog. In the hunting field there has to be enough pockets for binoculars, rangefinder, gps.... Well, I finally gave up on the pockets and belts thing and everything but the handgun goes into a pack. All of it. Sorry about the digression.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”