Help with Identification

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
blackelim

Help with Identification

Post by blackelim »

I have this Remington that I need help with a positive I.D. Let's see if I can add some pictures.
The number is R4523, kind of hard to see in the picture but is clearly stamped.
Any information would be appreciated, Year of manufacture, style or model name (approx. value if allowed)
Thanks
Attachments
rem1.JPG
rem2.JPG
rem3.JPG
ScoutKnives

Re: Help with Identification

Post by ScoutKnives »

Pattern number R4523 is for a Spanish scout . Either your shield has been replaced or worn smooth ?
I would say with that style of can opener and having a UMC tang stamp it should date from 1929-34 .
If you have any interest is selling the knife please let me know .
Attachments
image.jpg
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

I'm pretty new to the knife world, always enjoy seeing new things...like the built in hook sharpener on your fishing knife. Way cool ::tu::
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

I'm pretty new to the knife world, always enjoy seeing new things...like the built in hook sharpener on your fishing knife. Way cool ::tu::
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

With regard to value, it's pretty much impossible to give any kind of estimate for a knife of which you can see only one side and only one the four (presumably) blades. For anyone to give any kind of accurate value you will need to show multiple views of ALL blades.

In addition, there are qualities that don't show up in pictures, for instance; How do the blades snap into the open and closed position? Do the blades wobble in the open position?

Any collector will want to have answers to these questions. Any question he does not have an answer to will simply translate into a lower offer for the knife.

Of course, if the knife is in terrible shape, it may be better not to furnish any answers.
blackelim

Post by blackelim »

I will get more pictures this weekend so you can see the details.
The shield is worn smooth, so it has been carried a lot. Main blade does not snap in as well as the others but it does have snap to it.
Thanks for your answers to my inquiry.
blackelim

Post by blackelim »

SteelMyHeart85420 wrote:I'm pretty new to the knife world, always enjoy seeing new things...like the built in hook sharpener on your fishing knife. Way cool ::tu::
I will have to post an inquiry on it also in the Case forum, it seems to be pretty old also.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

blackelim wrote:Main blade does not snap in as well as the others but it does have snap to it.
Have you tried a few drops of household oil (3-IN-ONE or equivalent)? You might be surprised how many times a couple of drops of that slickery stuff will restore or improve a blade's snap. Besides it's good maintenance for all your folding knives.

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
blackelim

Post by blackelim »

jerryd6818 wrote:
blackelim wrote:Main blade does not snap in as well as the others but it does have snap to it.
Have you tried a few drops of household oil (3-IN-ONE or equivalent)? You might be surprised how many times a couple of drops of that slickery stuff will restore or improve a blade's snap. Besides it's good maintenance for all your folding knives.

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
I will give it a try,
Thanks for the welcome,this is a good place to hang out and absorb knowledge.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Aye laddie, that it is.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
blackelim

Post by blackelim »

A few more pictures, hopefully a little better quality.
Attachments
scout8.JPG
scout1.JPG
scout2.JPG
scout3.JPG
scout4.JPG
scout5.JPG
scout6.JPG
scout7.JPG
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

As far as pricing a Remington utility in this condition IMO as just good condition and verging on poor condition . Having snap issues , missing bail , short punch blade , worn shield and handles .
NOW if this was the standard Remington rs3333 scout the value should be around 20-40 bucks but its not , it's a fairly rare knife and that has to be put into the equation , how much more I don't know .....

blackelim wrote:A few more pictures, hopefully a little better quality.
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”