Remington collectors...buyer beware

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Remington collectors...buyer beware

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

The following knives are very attractive...HOWEVER... Each of these knives have suttle flaws,(changes that were made which are not found on the original knives) that demonstrate refurbished knives and NOT original as price and seller suggest. A careful eye and a little research tells the tail! The knife mechanic/master is "very" good at his craft but these are not original factory Remington knives. These knives are on eBay and are being sold by "thingsforesell". Caveat emptor! ::nod::
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (8.59 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (6.86 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
Remumc

Re: Remington collectors...buyer beware

Post by Remumc »

Can you give more info? What is wrong with these knives?
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Couple Hints...a shield to begin. ::doh:: ::nod:: there is more...
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Follow up, to the best of my knowledge every pattern Remington knife that had a punch blade had an acorn shield with the exception of one pattern...and that is the premium stock jack knife R633 which was adorned with the crest shield. The second knife's blade and punch configuration should not have the crest shield but the acorn shield.
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

The Utility knife is correct with that shield , I have one in my collection that I will post a picture of if you like . I have owned and sold many all though not common it looks right to me .

Their are a lot of exceptions to the acorn shield when it comes to Remington utility knives .

Been a while and my memory is bad at times but I believe it was made for Nehi as a special offer .
Edit again ....
Found a picture
Attachments
image.jpg
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Remumc

Post by Remumc »

Rocky I don't see a problem with the 6 blade scout? What are you seeing that you think is wrong with it?
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Scout knives that gives a reason as to why it has a crest shield and one would not find it in production patterns and catalogs from Remington. I stand corrected and in appreciation for the knowledge you share as well the picture for my reference material. I was also looking at the bone, jigging, and dye color which is in my mind appears quit different than most I've seen from that production era and if it was a promotional knife it all makes logical sense. Thanks again for the info. ::tu::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Remumc, my focus was in the can opener. Two types, one which was a "can opener" single made piece and the other a "real can opner" that was a two piece. Having looked through 6 Remington catalogs and many knife collection books as well as 30 or so Ads I found that "all" showed it having the two part can opener...then I came across 1 picture that had it with the one solid opener! So another retraction is given and again an opportunity to hone my research skills and my passion for Remington collecting. Thanks for helping a fellow out. I guess I'm overly cautious when it come to rare, old and unique Remington cutlery that has a time limit and higher price tag attached ! :oops: ::tu::
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I don't feel the love for scout patterns so i don't usually pay much attention to them.

The seller's R3843 (the top picture - also referred to as the "6 blade scout" in a previous post) matches pretty well to my catalogs. Catalog pictures of the R3843 from the C-5 (1927 ?) catalog and the DuPont catalog (1935 ?) are included for reference.

I believe the recent Rare Remington Collectible Sign thread discussing a recent high dollar eBay transaction also depicts a R3843. Surprisingly (to me at least), the sign sold for approximately 3 times the book value of the knife.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 35&t=44942

I wasn't able to find picture of the other knife with the federal shield. It looks like I need additional reference material.
Attachments
Remington Dupoint R3843 Scout.jpg
Remington C5 R3843 Scout.jpg
Ramrod

Post by Ramrod »

Thingsforsell used to post here sometimes.
Name is Lee.
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... ore_id=901
I have purchased knives from him (after a little negotiation) and been satisfied. (not an endorsement -just sayin)
I dont know much about Rem knives, but they dont look messed with to me. ::shrug::
Mark
With that said- Buyer beware on every knife no matter who the seller is or isn't.
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

This artta complicate things further ::shrug:: ::shrug::
still has lil dab of the blade etch left

HET !!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
IMG_2471.JPG
IMG_2472.JPG
AREMINGTONSEDGE

No complication Dave, correct and beautiful R3333 scout knife.
Attachments
Remington Factory scout knife.jpg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Did you know...

Not only did Remington produced the Nehi lady's leg knife for Nehi's promotional catalog but they also produced a boy's scout knife for Nehi as well!
The knife is noteworthy because it is not a commonly found knife and not one that most associate with the Nehi drink making it a fairly rare and sought after knife. The scout knife came with 2 types of shields. The first had a federal shield and the second had a bar shield that had "scout knife" inscribed on the shield. Note that both knives have the punch blade configuration.
As an important side note, the Remington produced factory knives sold to the general public and the same knife patterns that were displayed in Remington catalogs, showing and having a punch blade configuration were all adorned with an "acorn" shield. The exception to that trend were only a few patterns such as the R633 Premium Stock Jack Knife that adorned a "federal" shield and the six blade sportsmen bullet pattern R3843. Again, Remington making the promotional knife for Nehi uniquely different than their production line patterns. This knife did not come with a pattern number stamped or inked on the back of the primary blade but did have the Remington tang stamp, the Remington etch on the front of the main blade and Remington's quality, craftsmanship and renowned popularity. Nehi's catalog offered the knife for 66 cents and 66 crown caps. When one thinks about it, at 5 cents for a single soda pop it would cost a young person around $3.96 and stamps to own it and be the envy of all the other kids. I'd say back then that was some pretty clever marketing for Nehi!
The following pictures of the Nehi promotional catalog shows the knives in discussion. Hope you enjoyed... :wink:
Thanks to Scoutknives and the rest this was a great learning experience that I used to sum it all up in this thread. Oh, and by the by...I spoke with Lee, we agreed on a decent price for both knives and they're on the way to my house! ::handshake:: Thanks again.
Attachments
$_57.jpg
REMINGTON NEHI PROMOTIONAL KNIVES (2).jpg
REMINGTON NEHI PROMOTIONAL KNIVES (2).jpg (44.23 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
Remumc

Post by Remumc »

Glad this all worked out! Turned in to a good learning experience for all of us. So much to learn. and then there are scout knives and official scout knives I am not an expert but I am lucky to have one of the top Remington Scout Knife collectors on the planet for a friend so I can email him with questions.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”