Remington 5 Blade Sowbelly

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
MrBlister

Re: Remington 5 Blade Sowbelly

Post by MrBlister »

That giant ole spey blade or I guess what wud be the main blade
has "R428" stamped on it . . sound plausable???
Will try to post some pics, however its most faint

thanks.. Dave
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

The primary or main blade as I said is suppose to be a larger curved clip blade. Yours has been modified due to blade wear or it was broken at some point. I trust you on the stamp being as you say Dave. "Leaning in the direction" of it being original but still not "fully" sure! ::hmm::
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

The second sowbelly looks like it might have had a shield at one time. There appears to be a hole in the handle where the shield was originally attached. That hole bears inspection to determine whether it originally held a shield on. Maybe an inspection of the inside of the liner?

Obviously the master blade is well short, and it appears from the description that the final "3" is missing from the pattern number, a close examination with a magnifiying glass may be in order there.

JMO
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

will git her outta the safe to check liner for sheild pin holes.. thnx
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

YEP . . .. steel was correct...
liner inspection on the mark side revealed
2 holes where obviously a sheild once fastened.
Tang stamp shows no evidence of a "3"
on the end but certainly could have been there once.

altho NOT a sowbelly.. heres another ole 5 blade.

HET
Attachments
IMG_2148.JPG
wlf

Post by wlf »

Nice early knife ,love those bone handles.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
AREMINGTONSEDGE

It sounds like you have a winner on that sowbelly Dave! Congratulations on a great rare find. Keep 'em coming...awesome show! ::tu::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Resurrecting this thread related to the current knife on eBay, Remington sowbelly knife R4283 for sale. The seller is very careful and vague not to establish it as being manufactured by Remington in its description of origin or authenticity. Yet, he does an exceptional job in marketing it as a Remington R4283. He also puts in a very clever disclaimer stating he has very little to no knowledge of Remington knives but is selling the knife for $1,200.00. IMHO it is not an original production knife. I do believe that it has some original parts but there are several main giveaways as to why it is not. What do you think? :roll: ::tu::

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Remingt ... SwopRYbZ2r

P.S. Well 3-4 min. after I posted this, the knife was listed as being sold. HUmmmmmmm.... ::hmm:: ::paranoid::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Example of two main giveaways. Seller listed as carbon steel, however for a knife made in that era, blades have no patina ,no pitting no age marks at all. They are very "clean" for a knife that is 80-90 years old and carbon steel doesn't age in that fashion. Then there is the issue of the smaller clip blade... there isn't one it has been replaced.
Lastly if this knife was truly sold I feel sorry for the person who bought it thinking they have gotten a really great deal on a rare Remington knife that in mint condition goes for $3,ooo-4,ooo.
have aknife day

Post by have aknife day »

The ebay guy that sold that SOWBELLY has some amazing knives for sale!!
Knife Nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Knife Nut »

The guy currently has listings for 235 knives.
If he would get his buy it now price for all his knives he would take in a cool $242,000. :roll: :roll: :roll: ::dang::
Ain't gonna happen.

Paul
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

Tom McCandless (olderdogs) has a wonderful example fer sale on ebay

HET

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-EARLY-REMI ... SwLEtYkNVD
Attachments
outake.jpg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

::tu::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

I had previously written a reply to this post from Dave with concerns and questions related to olderdogs Sowbelly, and I withdrew the entire post. After really looking at this knife,(pictures) with a discerning eye trying to find something that would say that it may have been "worked on" I came to a conclusion that I could only find what was right with this knife. It has it all IMHO. Every minor variable that I could find in the production was easily explained in my mind. All of my books, resource materials and personal memories of other sow knives lead me to believe that" this is that rare treasure".
If I had the money I would make a serious offer on this one...It is a beauty. Just sayin'... ::tu::

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”