I THINK I KNOW. . . YANNO ???

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
MrBlister

I THINK I KNOW. . . YANNO ???

Post by MrBlister »

Tryin to confirm this IS a REM
REM pattern
and used knife value..

I know this much . . . ..
4 1/2" long
That bone is exactly same bone as my bullets
Theres a REM tang stamp on the pen blade

Anyone recognize this thang by
experience or by book ???

Any help appreciated

Puma Pants
Attachments
blazer 005.JPG
blazer 006.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: I THINK I KNOW. . . YANNO ???

Post by jerryd6818 »

At 4½" closed, with that blade configuration and frame profile I think we could call it an English Jack. It looks old enough and those gorgeous bone handles could very well make it a genuine Remington. We'll have to wait for one of the Rem boys to come along and declare it one way or the other. In the meantime, that's one fine old knife.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

thanks Jerry . .. .
means a lot to me coming from you . .
junebug

Post by junebug »

as ya know,bro.......... i can not find that EXACT KNIFE (i did come close) in ma books (2).--which again AS YOU KNOW, does not mean much ::woot:: :lol: .....i will scan them again now for ya ::tu::

now where that SQUIRREL ???? ::paranoid:: ::paranoid:: ::super_happy::

HE MAY KNOW ::nod::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Dave, Remington would call them I think Heavy Jacks related to the size/length. Most of Remington Jacks are at 4" or under with the exception of the R1163 which has a different bolster, crest shield and most importantly is 4 3/8" closed. Same blade configuration clip and pen, similar to the R1153 which has a spear and pen combination and also 4 3/8" closed.

Now is it possible that it was made with a blank bolster and they left off the crest, maybe...not likely... but it "is" 4 3/8" closed length not 4 1/2".Are you sure you measured correctly?

With all that in mind, I did not find this knife in the search I have made through 5 Remington catalogs and a web search. But know this still, ya never know... til ya know, yanno?

I now bow to the master and ask REMINGTONCOLLECTOR to give a look see and answer... ::nod::
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
junebug

Post by junebug »

am i correct in thinkin' daves knife has an extra PIN than the R1163.....

thats the same one me & him discussed in chat- length,shield,and bolsters fluting (design) also differ
R1163 is closest i could find. ::shrug::

still cool knife 8) ::tu::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
remington collector

Post by remington collector »

It's not an 1163. I've looked at 5 or 6 catalogs and books and haven't found that exact knife yet.
I may be mistaken, but I think I have one like it, with smooth bolsters and no shield. I'll try to dig thru some knives this afternoon and see what I can come up with.
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

Ive re-measured and its definetly 4 1/2" . .
Thanks to all who have helped and continue to.

Puma Pants....
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

This knife goin fer sale on ebay 17th PM..
If any member wants it prior, $150 shipped within
the USA only. .

Puma Pants
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

I have a R1153 I measured it and it is 4 1/2" closed. I measured it on one of the Mrs. material cutting
things. It also has the same pen number of blisters knife. Mine has the fancy bolster and shield. I know
the books says 4 3/8" closed. Also the pictures in the old catalogs are for the most part artist done and
not photos. All this does not say what the blisters knife is, but it is neat. Will be interesting to see what
the Remington collector finds.

Harold
Attachments
Rem R1153 Big Jack.jpg
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Harold, Wow! your R1153 is a magnificent example. Jerry
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Harold OMG! That is one gorgeous knife!!!!! Simply beautiful scale, and bolster. She looks to be in near mint shape but my love for Remington's could be clouding my judgement ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool:: ::tu::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Back to Dave's knife, it is not an R1163 nor an R1153 .Spear blade v/a clip blade, crest no crest bolsters different size different...could it be a contract knife...maybe. Never the less not from the factory like that as per Remington written statements and catLogs.
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

Here's what a gentleman on facebook sed bout the knife

Dave N Nancy Payne It looks like Camillus with jigging and long pull on the main blade. They knives for Remington till 1938 or 1940 according to two sources. Dave
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I just purchased , yesterday, a Rem. 1153(marked on reverse of main blade) exactly like Stockman's Rem. except mine doesn't have the fancy bolsters but otherwise identical. I wonder how many versions there are of this same knife. Jim Sargent shows a 1143 barehead English jack at 4 3/8 inches with the fancy bolster and only the large spear blade. My 1153 is exactly 4 1/2 inches.Ron Stewert lists the 1153 and a 1163 with the same description"big folding hunter jack". Is the 1163 the same knife without a shield?
remington collector

Post by remington collector »

The R1153 has a spear main blade.
The R1163 has a clip main blade.
Same frame, shield, bolsters, secondary blade, etc.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

MrBlister wrote:Here's what a gentleman on facebook sed bout the knife

Dave N Nancy Payne It looks like Camillus with jigging and long pull on the main blade. They knives for Remington till 1938 or 1940 according to two sources. Dave

Dave I am doing some research on the Cutlery Companies who were contracted by Remington during circa. 1920 thru 1940. The knives they were contracted to produce, patterns, main blade stamps etc. and the dates they produced them. Any knowledge you could supply would be appreciated regarding the info you received about Camillus and their involvement with Remington. Thanks! ::handshake::
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

Sure thang Rocky.. i'll gladly forward any datas to ys..

PS.. mebee you;ll enjoy this haawg of a REM english jack

thanks in advance
Attachments
IMG_0756.JPG

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”