little Remington help needed

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

little Remington help needed

Post by garddogg56 »

I inherited what appears to be a 7476 tangs are worn any info would be appreciated.Thanx Guys
Attachments
IMG_20140806_175840_220.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
junebug

Re: little Remington help needed

Post by junebug »

het gd.......sweet knife 8) 8)

is it 3 3/8" closed?????

if so it is a R7465 ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

i thought R7475 at 1st......but that has tipped bolsters.........above # has full bolsters like yours ::nod::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Hey Bug Thanx ::handshake:: She's three+three eights.What pattern would you call her?? everything is in great shape but the pen is tipped.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

What year do ya figure??
junebug

Post by junebug »

"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

WOW Bug kinda odd the main is 1924-33,the pen is 1921-24 ::shrug:: I needed to magnify to read the tangs ::uc::
junebug

Post by junebug »

MY GUESS,BRO.......

GO BY MAIN ::nod::
PROLLY STILL HAD SOME "PEN BLADES" LEFT OVER IN 1924.......AND NOT GONNA THROW EM OUT.....SO USE TILL OLD DATE STOCK RUNS OUT AND START WITH NEW.......
HAPPENS ALOT ON REMMIES IT SEEMS....TRANSITION KNIVES...YEAR TA YEAR STOCK MIXIN' ::tu::

I WOULD THINK IT WOULD HELP DATE YOUR KNIFE BETTER,IMPO ::nod::
I WOULD SAY IT NAILS IT DOWN TO 1924-1925 AREA........ 8) ::handshake::
- Junebug 2016
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Hey Bugster and garddogg, a little more info offered if you'd like??

Goins' list approximately 10-11 variation of Remingtion tang stamps. AAPK only list 6 examples of Remington's tang stamp.

IMHO, It appears that Remington had two things on their main knife blades,( folding knives and pocket knives). 1. The Remington tang stamp represented the year of production for that knife pattern and was place on the tang side of each main blade and on the pile side of each main blade the pattern number...I quote from the C30 Remington cutlery catalog, "All Remington Pocket knives have the number stamped on the reverse tang of the blade".
2. The second, third or even the fourth blade stamps have no specific similarity related to the year of production as indicated by the main blade stamping. When studying a variety of Remington knives in hand and with regard to Remington knife advertisements you will note some blades will be stamped identical to the main blade stamp and others will have other production year stamping. I agree with JB and believe that it was common to use stock blade supply that may present with various production year markings dating back to the first production run in 1920 on any blade with exception to the main blade.

To answer your last question you have a "Serpentine pen pattern" R7465 based on your pic.
Attachments
IMG_0105.JPG
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Good info Rocky.

Harold
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Thanks Harold. I have a theory that I am working on and continue to research to substantiate this theory.
I personally believe that given Remington's high quality products, their "strong" marketing push in those years
and Remington's commitment to excellence as "the leader" in providing high quality/affordable knives during the early 1920's to 1940 for"jobber's" and dealers, "every knife" that the Remington Bridgeport, Conn. factory produced had the pattern number stamped on the pile side of the main blade. It was a marketing tool for identification of quality and reordering the product increasing sales and the reputation of Remington.

If one evaluates the idea that there were "many" early knives produced, (under contract) by other cutlery companies for Remington who were authorized to use the "Remington trade mark" on the tang but could not place the pattern stamp on the reverse of the tang. This I believe was exclusively use by Remington's production only and separated their knife from other cutlery made knives, again reminding the buyer Remington made knives were true, one of a kind, and stood alone with providing the highest quality and workmanship. Not saying the contract knives were not good but I believe Remington had to allow a "cushion" for any knives not up to par with their standard of practice. If one also evaluates the idea that there were many counterfeit knives flooding the market, (from that time period to present) from companies or individuals who were trying to "cash in" on the Remington name but not authorized to use the Remington trade mark or pattern number. Counterfeit tang stamps and pattern numbers were altered or left off related to possible concerns of patent infringements and lawsuit.
In conclusion of this theory, I believe this can provide answers and logical reason as to why we have so many "different" opinions regarding Remington knives, pattern number and tang stamp discrepancy.
Just my humble opinion and personal theory.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Rocky, What do you think about the inked on pattern numbers, and the special knives like the Wriggly
and HTT Bullet other specials knives also?

Harold
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Great question Harold. "Specialty" or "Advertisement" knives such as the Wriggly, Baby Ruth and such were just that a "special run" knife for the company ordering it as a giveaway or promotional knife. They were never meant for "re-order" and or to be mass produced for the Jobber or dealer's bulk purchase, thus the possibility in the difference in the way it was produced regarding materials, identification markings, etc. in general.
Remington had patent on so many aspects in their designs, production tools/process and marketed the uniqueness, quality, workmanship and importance of each knife to the consumer. Remington presented their knives as a necessary tool for work, home and at one's hobby. In part, Remington's marketing was promotional in stating that "each" pocket knife produced had 250 to 300 hand operations guaranteeing the care, professionalism and pride in which each pocket knife was made.
I personally find it difficult to disqualify these statements from Remington and take them at face value based on the Remington products, consumer testimonials and their reputation as the leader in the industry of that era.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

In a recap of my previous statements. I am "not saying" there are not variations in identification marks with regard to Remington made knives. There are. There are valid reasons for those variations. Contract knives are Remington knives made by other cutlery companies for Remington. Example...the Camillus reproduction bullet knives produced from 1982 to 2007. We consider them Remington knives but they are not produced by Remington, doesn't change the value in collection or in monetary value,( some would argue poor Quality and workmanship). Limited run "specialty" knives and "advertisement" knives vary in many ways. Some were produced for Remington and some by Remington but there are variations in markings compared to those factory knives made for the jobbers and dealers. The original catalog produced knives "all" have the required markings as per Remington statements. My monies go toward the origional tang stamped, pattern stamped, catalog knives from Remington. I am also willing to strive for the etched blade if possible.
Lastly it is the collector who must be vigilant and on guard from the many "fake" Remingtons on the market. These knives include the Remington rebuilt knife, knives from overseas and knives made by other cutlery companies non-commissioned by Remington and infringe upon patent or trade-mark laws.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

::handshake:: Thank you Bug and Rocky VERY helpful info.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Makes ya go HMMMMMMmmmmmmm! ::hmm::
Attachments
image.jpg

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”