Help 4" 4 Blade Congress?

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
8ripken8

Help 4" 4 Blade Congress?

Post by 8ripken8 »

Need help with with age and type of knife. It is a 4" knife with two different tang markings, remington in circle on three blades and Remington UMC on one blade. I can find no modle number marking on the knife. Any information on age and value would be appreciated.
P1130078.JPG
Attachments
P1130077.JPG
msteele6

Re: Help 4" 4 Blade Congress?

Post by msteele6 »

Knife is called a Congress knife. Remington stopped manufacturing pocket knives right before WWII. It's not unusual to find Remingtons with different tang stampings on different blades, however, it is a little unusual to find one without a pattern number stamped (unusual, but not impossible).

I can't find a 4" congress knife in the materials I have at hand, I can only find 3 1/2", 3 3/4", and 4 3/8" patterns. The blades on this knife look really good considering the amount of pocket wear on the handles, maybe the knife has been cleaned, maybe repaired?

Hopefully, someone will come along to enlighten us a little further.
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

I don't think that knife is original. The bone is worn almost smooth, yet the blades have hardly any wear. The edges and grind lines are not crisp. Almost a rounded appearance like newer blades. The bolsters do not look like what I've seen on any old Remington knives. Jigging isn't quite right either. JMO. Mark.
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Good point on the bolsters. They do have a jarring effect.
8ripken8

Post by 8ripken8 »

Thanks for info, I am trying to get information for a coworker, he is certain this knife is original but one never knows. Blades have been sharpened, I will try to post pictures with natural light and no flash which might give a better look.
junebug

Post by junebug »

i have no 4" CONGRESS in any of my books / Remington catalogs............

i gotta agree...... IT DOES NOT LOOK RIGHT- bolsters especially DO NOT LOOK RIGHT......

COOL KNIFE FOR SURE ::tu:: ....just doesn't look REMINGTON.
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Are you sure the knife is 4" in length? To echo what has already been said the blades and frame don't tell the same story. Barely used full blades and frame that has seen a lifetime of use. Very unusual. Could be an original Remington frame, if actually larger than 4", like an R6043. Rebladed.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
8ripken8

Post by 8ripken8 »

The knife is dead on 4" from end to end, the main blade is very close to 2 5/8" and the smaller blades are 2 3/8". I am more confused now than ever. Friend is wanting to sell the knife but I am very uncomfortable doing so when I don't know what I have. I realy appreciate all the input.
junebug

Post by junebug »

AT 4" EXACT...DEF NOT A REM. FRAME......WOULD STILL MAKE A GOOD WORK KNIFE!! ::nod::

PM SENT ON SOME MORE INFO ::tu::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
8ripken8

Post by 8ripken8 »

How do you get what appear to be actual Remington blades into a frame they shouldn't be in?
junebug

Post by junebug »

very easy........the COUNTERFEITER - took 2 original knives apart......and made 1.
only takes 3 or 4 simple hand tools .... ie hammer,file, & anvil etc.......

people do it all the time.......for any given reason...NOT UNCOMMON ::tu::

again I SENT YOU A PM,BRO ::tu:: 8)
PM= private message.....check yer mail box :lol:
- Junebug 2016
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Tooling on the blades/frame looks a lot like a Queen congress.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”