My New Remington R1613

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
jlholdings

My New Remington R1613

Post by jlholdings »

I am so psyched that I finally found a R1613. I bought this from another AAPK member, Mr. Blister. A big thank you to him. Just wanted to show off my new find and see if anybody has any idea how many of these really exist today. Unfortunately, the tang stamp has been buffed off, but the pattern number still is readable on the rear tang. It has been cleaned, but still it is a real beauty. I have heard that some of these exist with a bullet shield, but I have heard that they could be fake. Anyway, here are the pics of my new cartridge shield Remington. I hope to receive it soon...What do you guys think?
Attachments
Remington R1613 front open1.JPG
Remington R1613 rear closed5.jpg
Remington R1613 rear tang pattern#8.jpg
Remington R1613 front shield tang7.jpg
jlholdings

Re: My New Remington R1613

Post by jlholdings »

Does anyone know what years this particular type of Remington UMC round shield was used?
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Beautiful! Bone is fantastic and the detailing on the bolsters outstanding. I watch a lot of vintage Remington knives that are for sale but rarely buy. I notice toothpick patterns regularly but don't pay enough attention to know if they are R1613's or not. I do not recall seeing toothpicks with your bolsters or shield so I would say they are rare to be on the market if not rare period.

There is a bullet version R1613BL. I try to pay pretty close attention to old bullet knives when they come up for sale. I don't ever recall seeing a *good* R1613BL for sale. My use of *good* refers to either condition or authenticity.

Here is a good Bullet reference - just in case you might not have been aware.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/rem ... ullets.php
jlholdings

Post by jlholdings »

Thanks Ralph. I am new to the original Remington Bullet knives, but some day I would like to have a R1123. I am really excited about finding this R1613 though. In any condition, Remington bone is just beautiful!!!
junebug

Post by junebug »

AWESOME KNIFE!!!!!
SHE'S A BEAUT! 8) 8) ::tu::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
jlholdings

Post by jlholdings »

Thanks Junebug! This knife is really starting to grow on me. The more I look at old Remington knives, the more I realize that I don't have nearly enough of them. Does anyone know if this knife is actually considered a cartridge shield Remington, or is it classified as a bullet knife? I realize it does not have a bullet shield, or does it? I have heard some people refer to these as bullet knives, but I do not know...
remington collector

Post by remington collector »

I would not consider it a bullet knife, although some guys do. It needs to have a full length .30 caliber bullet shield for me to call it a bullet knife.
jlholdings

Post by jlholdings »

Thanks rem collector for the input. I think I agree with you, though I understand why some people may consider them bullets. I know that Remington marketed bullet knives as such, but how did they market cartridge shield knives? Did they have their own category? Were they considered as top of the line as the bullets? I would think that with all of the detailing that they would have been a top shelf choice just as the bullet knives were. What do you guys think?
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Beautiful knife Jh. Awesome scales. Does it have the disgorger on the end of the spring, would love to see the picture? Remington made the same knife with two types of shields as you may know. One with the bullet shield, (tip of bullet pointing to the shank end of the blade) and 2nd the round shield exampled by your knife. The most rarest is the R1615-L with the Cornelian pyremite scales and the bullet shield. Production of the round shield R1613 was close to 1928 and was featured in H. & D. Folsom Arms Company 1929-30 catalog. Mr. Mel Brewster stated in his book, Remington Bullet Knives that he had only seen the R1613 and 15 with round shields. Referring to the bullet shield he wrote," if their was a genuine, unadulterated Remington, would be the most rare and valuable of any of the known Remington Bullet Knives. In the Remington C-5 catalog printed in 1930 their is also a variation of this knife- R943, R945-L, R933, R935-L, R953, and R955-L all with no shield and variations of stag or pyremite handles and with the R943 having an additional pen blade. All very cool, wish I had them all! Great find buddy! Beautiful knife and with an amazing history to share. ::tu::

Rocky
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
jlholdings

Post by jlholdings »

Thanks Rocky. Yes, it does have the hook remover in the form of a groove in the tip of the knife bolster extending around to the bottom. I will include a pic I have showing the top view where you can see the tip of the bolster and hook remover. I will also include an ad from a magazine in 1928 that pictures the knife. I have been considering trading this knife for an original R1123 bullet trapper with bone scales if I can find a decent one with no cracks. I would love to have a full size original bullet. Know anyone?

Does anyone know the scarcity of this knife relative to an R1123? Thanks for all the wonderful info, I really appreciate your input.
Attachments
Remington R1613 Advertisement from 1928.JPG
Remington R1613 top8.jpg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Beautiful knife, what a great history! Thanks for showing her to me. ::handshake:: I have a few Remingtons, and one or two originals but wouldn't part with any at present. Here's a few Remingtons I've been collecting. ::paranoid:: ::ds::
Rocky
Attachments
000_0001.JPG
000_0002.JPG
000_0003.JPG
000_0004.JPG
000_0005.JPG
000_0006.JPG
000_0007.JPG
000_0008.JPG
000_0009.JPG
000_0010.JPG
jlholdings

Post by jlholdings »

WOW! What a nice collection. Here are two of my prize Remingtons. They are from the 1988 "Tang Stamp Series". These have the new Madison, N.C. tang stamp. Camillus only manufactured 2000 knives of each pattern. These knives are super special though. They are the only Remington prototype knives I have ever seen. The guy that these were purchased from said that he purchased them from Kevin Pipes, owner of SMKW. They were supposedly part of his personal collection.
Attachments
027.JPG
028.JPG
009.JPG
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Those are awesome JH! ::nod:: Is that considered red bone scales? Very special, I like them a lot, the more unique, the more I'm hooked. ::tu:: Your a lucky man to have those! ::handshake:: Thanks again for showing them to me.

Rocky
jlholdings

Post by jlholdings »

No, the handle scales are the standard plastic scales that are on all of the other bullet knives in the Tang Stamp Series. I love Remington Bullet Knives...
AREMINGTONSEDGE

OK,still cool knives! ::tu:: ::tu:: Meeeeee Toooooo!! ::super_happy::

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”