Where Are All The Remington Knife Collectors?

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Re: Where Are All The Remington Knife Collectors?

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Remington Past and Present...

Remington Original Bullet Scout production pattern # 4243 bone handles, bullet shield, closed at 4 3/4".

Remington reproduction Pattern # 4243 by Camillus 1994, "Camp", Delrin brown jigged handles, bullet shield, closed at 4 13/16".
Attachments
IMG_1393 [2227931].jpg
IMG_1400 [2227935].jpg
IMG_1396 [2227933].jpg
FullSizeRender [2227934].jpg
IMG_1395 [2227932].jpg
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Jerry! I found what I think you were talking about...and the example your showing. ::tu::

Is this correct?
Great knife and appears to be very rare. ::woot:: ::tu::

Post Edit,
When I get my memory kick started I do recall this thread and topic matter. It seems to have been awhile. These are really special knives and who wouldn't like a blade of that size and quality. ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::super_happy::
Attachments
bulldog.jpg
ad.jpg
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Rocky, you found the Remington Bulldog. It does not have a pattern number as far as I know and my knife does not have a pattern number stamped on it. I included a page from the C - 5 Remington catalog that shows the large sleeveboard pattern. The patterns in the catalog have either 2 or 3 blades although the primary blade in these knives appears to be the same as used in the Bulldog. The Bulldog is a very hefty knife in the hand. It is difficult for me to imagine breaking that blade :)

Just like the other fixed blade patterns you have shown, your RH4a is phenomenal! ::tu:: and the Bullets you recently posted are most excellent too.
Attachments
Remington Large Sleeveboard Patterns.jpg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Jerry Love that Bulldog knife! ::tu:: ::nod:: When you start collecting at some point,(as you may well know) you start wanting the rare and unusual patterns or as close to mint as you can get,(or afford) LOL ::mdm:: . The rare ones are hard to come by because you and Mike,(Scoutknives) got 'em all! LOL :lol: Sometimes I can Locate a special one, but to add it to one's collection is not easy in so many ways. Keep 'em coming my friend I love the examples you show. I'm working the next few days but when off will post a few "different" Remington patterns you don't see every day. :wink: Thanks again for posting and sharing your collection and your knowledge. You have a "Keen" eye for Quality! ::tu:: ::handshake:: 8)
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Thanks Rocky, I really enjoy looking at your knives too because it broadens my awareness of what is out there. The only problem for me is that broader awareness causes a thinner wallet. :) Case and Remington are the only two makers that I try to collect. My Case collection is larger than my Remington collection and that is primarily because there are more good Case examples available. I have let some really nice Remingtons get away from me thinking there will be another one coming along later and there almost never does.

This is a R4023 stockman that is in nice shape. It seems like Remingtons are highly susceptible to blade rubbing. In my opinion the Turkish clip blade enhances the visual appeal of this pattern although unlike the blade in the Bulldog it probably wouldn't last too long as a working blade. :)

Thanks for looking.
Attachments
Remington R4023 #3 small.jpg
Remington R4023 #4 small.jpg
Remington R4023 #5 small.jpg
Remington R4023 #6 small.jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Jerry that is a dandy. ::tu::
Roger
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Hey Jerry! Thanks for the kind words... ::handshake:: I too have let a few slide thinking I'd catch one later but later sometimes never gets here. ::huff:: The stockman is a beaut! ::nod:: I like the style of the Turkish clip on that pattern, it adds a nice flow/ style to the look. You have created a new "want it" urge ::disgust:: ::paranoid:: ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool:: with that Bulldog! Just another check mark on the list of many that I wish to add to my Remington collection. ::mdm:: It never ends :shock: :lol: .Keep 'em coming buddy love, love, love to have a look see! Never tire of looking at beautiful knives! ::uc:: ::nod:: :mrgreen: ::tu::
wlf

Post by wlf »

Rocky and Jerry,you have the Remington museum,absolute collectibles for any old knife enthusiast.

I love those jumbo sleeveboards with that mighty spear.I'm looking for one,it's a pattern on my list,and it doesn't even have to be a Remington. I grin

Remington made some hefty "men's" knives.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Actually, I thought that single blade jumbo sleeveboard and ad for the same belonged to Mike Roebuck.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Hey Charlie! I don't recall who's bulldog it was. I referenced it from the thread that Jerry was talking about after my memory kicked in about the knife example he was showing. The ad and knife picture was on google search along with the HTT magazine. It was used only as reference. I never claimed ownership and made clear reference that I wanted to get one. So it might belong to Mike, Don't know. The knife Jerry showed was his as he made reference to it being his knife and I believe it to be his personal example as stated by Jerry and by the style of photos he shows and has shown. ::tu:: ::nod::
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I wasn't accusing anyone of anything.

Mike has posted that montage here and over at BF.

Folks responding after you posted that seemed to be congratulating you on how nice it was.

I just thought I'd point out the owner.

Mike may have sold the knife, I have no idea, but it was his last I heard.

No harm, no foul.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
wlf

Post by wlf »

I wouldn't mind owning Jerry's example, and Rocky ,Mike Roebuck has sold some good knives,be worth looking into.

I knew Mike had one too,a very nice one.He had it on 2 /10/ 2016 here , post #67:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... read/page4
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
AREMINGTONSEDGE

You know Charlie I take exception to your statement
RobesonsRme.com wrote:I wasn't accusing anyone of anything.Mike has posted that montage here and over at BF.Folks responding after you posted that seemed to be congratulating you on how nice it was.I just thought I'd point out the owner.
Perception and opinions are like a#%holes everybody's got one but some put out Bullsh*t more than others. You and I have been around long enough to know the art of conversation. If you "thought you needed a spot check on my level of integrity a pm would have been a place to check for clarification not the thread that is meant for show and tell and enjoyment. I come to AAPK as a getaway from the day's stressors and to have fun and share a common interest in knives. But since you decided to air this dirty diaper on the line....
If you'd taken the time to read the specific posts from the beginning of "this" topic it was clear that I had forgotten about the knife but recalled it and listed the knife in reference to the thread that Jerry spoke about.
I had no issue with clarifying but in your feedback you offered no harm no foul but again "thought" you needed to offer a clearer Light on ownership because you "thought" I was getting compliments on a knife that didn't belong to me. So in your "thinking" my integrity required a spot check because you "thought"!!!!!!! If You "knew" me you would never have felt the need to post your comment. You could have posted "Mike R. has a beautiful knife there!". I took the kind words of fellow AAPK'ers as compliments to the knives that Jerry, I and others have and will continue to show. I would never steal the thunder from another owner's knife and allude to it being mine! In the future I would appreciate if you would fully digest your thoughts about your fellow man and the ramifications of your words before you decide to openly share your "misperceptions".

As you last stated,
RobesonsRme.com wrote:No harm, no foul.
a pretty cavalier comment
but fitting when it was intended to be what it was.

Integrity fully intact, Rocky
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I believe it would be clear to anyone concerned that pictures of more than 1 Remington Bulldog single blade jumbo sleeveboard have been posted in this thread.

Probably not necessary, but to avoid any doubt I want to state that the pictures of Remington knives that I have posted in this thread were taken by me of knives in my possession. Likewise the image I posted of the C-5 catalog page was scanned by me from a catalog in my possession.

Rocky, I apologize for any role I had generating the posts about ownership. Instead of writing the reply to you that said "you found the Remington Bulldog", I should have replied with the following "you found the AAPK post with the Remington Bulldog information". Now and at the time of my first reply it is / was clear to me that you were simply trying to confirm that you found the AAPK thread that contained the following post:

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 20#p307733

I made no interpretation that you were implying it was your knife and catalog image. If you look at the first post that I wrote with regard to my Bulldog you will see that I was familiar with the other knife and catalog image in April 2014 and referenced them in my post.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 50#p405006

Jerry
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Lyle, thank you for the kind words - always appreciated!

Your Remington knives are pretty spectacular and rare. I am very envious of any of your FJ's, but the Remington FJ's are creme de la creme to me. ::drool::

Thanks for the bladeforum link. I don't access that forum much, but I did spin through the thread and saw some really nice knives.

Good luck in your search for a jumbo sleeveboards with that mighty spear. There is a 2 blade Case pattern 62076 that is very comparable. I have not seen another single blade pattern. A decent one of these Remington Bulldogs came up on eBay a few months ago.
wlf

Post by wlf »

I'd really like a nice jumbo whittler ,like I said it doesn't matter what flavor.

Thanks Jerry, that farmers jack took a little perseverance and money . I had bought a small collection,which he was selling for someone, (about 10 or 12,which was quite a large find for that pattern) from a dealer and he kept that one,but I stayed in contact. I grin

Lyle
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Jerry, you and I as I believe were on the same page with the same understanding. I don't feel you owe me or anyone else an explanation. Let's put this aside and continue were we left off...showing Remington knives!

Here's a few for show and tell! :mrgreen: ::tu:: ::handshake::

Past and Present:

Remington Bullet Trapper original production pattern #R1123, bone handles, Bullet shield, closed at 4 1/2"
This is an original knife that was cleaned, ::facepalm:: It's a nice example but sure wished it had the etch and some patina, I do like the look of a knifes age.

Remington reproduction Bullet knife pattern #R1123, 1982 by Camillus, delrin handles, Bullet shield, closed at 4 1/2"

Post edit: Lyle I agree with Jerry related to your knives and especially the Farmer Jacks. Very nice indeed! And again thanks for your pm thoughts! ::nod:: ::handshake::
Attachments
IMG_1430 [3395676].jpg
IMG_1431 [3395677].jpg
IMG_1432 [3395678].jpg
IMG_1433 [3395679].jpg
IMG_1435 [3395680].jpg
IMG_1436 [3395681].jpg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

How 'bout this 'ol girl?

Remington Whittler original production pattern #R7500, Buffalo horn handles, crest shield, closed at 3 3/8".
Note the back spring and file work. This is a handsome knife, pretty great shape for it's age. Visible etch
at correct angle and lighting.
Attachments
IMG_1458 [3395703].jpg
IMG_1460 [3395705].jpg
IMG_1461 [3395706].jpg
IMG_1463 [3395707].jpg
IMG_1464 [3395708].jpg
IMG_1466 [3395710].jpg
IMG_1467 [3395711].jpg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

One more just to get back on track.

Remington Past & Present:

Remington Fish or toothpick original production pattern #R1613, Bone handles, Round cartridge shield, closed at 5"

Remington reproduction fish pattern #R1613, 1987 by Camillus, delrin jigged handles, bullet shield, closed at 5"
Attachments
IMG_1447 [3395692].jpg
IMG_1448 [3395693].jpg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

This one is a special Remington advertising knife...Advertising the "Remington Arms Glee Club". This was just one of several clubs that Remington offered to their employees.

This Remington Lobster pattern #R7375 with pyremite handles, closed at 2 5/8".
Attachments
IMG_1449 [3395694].jpg
IMG_1450 [3395695].jpg
IMG_1450 [3395695].jpg (39.68 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
IMG_1451 [3395696].jpg
IMG_1452 [3395697].jpg
IMG_1454 [3395699].jpg
IMG_1455 [3395700].jpg
IMG_1456 [3395701].jpg
IMG_1456 [3395701].jpg (57.64 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
IMG_1457 [3395702].jpg
IMG_1457 [3395702].jpg (63.15 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
Remington Glee Club.jpg
Remumc

Post by Remumc »

Recently acquired Remington RS3333 scout. Main blade sharpened down and has some grinder marks but still has some of the scout etch. Dark brown stag handle scales that are solid with no cracks. Even has a little blue left on the punch.
Attachments
DSCN2339.JPG
DSCN2337.JPG
DSCN2336.JPG
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Remumc, I was wondering when you would show us some of your amazing Remington collection. Glad to see you posting. Love the knife...love to see the etching. Let's have a look see at some other beauties you have in your display cases. ::handshake:: ::tu:: ::nod::

post edit:
A quick call out to Paulsvintage and to Corvus! Gentlemen where are you? These folks as you all may know have some unbelieveable mint Remington knives. Would love to see a few more from your collections. ::tu:: ::nod::
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Remumc - is that the one from eBay (#272190716518) that sold for $99.99? If so, you got a great deal. I was on the fence about pulling the trigger on that one, glad somebody who appreciates fine Remington's got it. Tom
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Today's look see for show and tell... ::nod:: ::tu::

Remington Past and Present

Remington Bullet Moose original production pattern #R4353, jigged bone handles, bullet shield, closed at 4 1/4".

Remington reproduction bullet pattern #R4353, 1985 'Woodsman" by Camillus, delrin jigged handles, bullet shield, closed at 4 1/4"

Remington reproduction silver bullet pattern # R4356, 1993 "Silver Bullet Series" 500 production # by Camillus,
genuine jigged bone handles, sterling silver engraved bullet shield, engraved bolsters, closed at 4 1/4"
Attachments
IMG_1438 [3395683].jpg
IMG_1440 [3395685].jpg
IMG_1441 [3395686].jpg
IMG_1442 [3395687].jpg
IMG_1443 [3395688].jpg
IMG_1446 [3395691].jpg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

One more for the day...tomorrow...I'll try to post some other Remington Caboodle. ::nod:: ::super_happy::

Remiington fixed blade original production pattern #RH32, leather handle with brass spacers, blade length 4 1/2", overall length 8 1/2", She is in overall pretty good condition with original sheath.
Attachments
IMG_1470 [3507680].jpg
IMG_1475 [3507681].jpg
IMG_1478 [3507682].jpg
IMG_1480 [3507683].jpg
IMG_1482 [3536418].jpg

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”