Where Are All The Remington Knife Collectors?

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Re: Where Are All The Remington Knife Collectors?

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Very cool Keith. Those ads have the best hunting topic matter with hunters, rifles, knives and wild animals. I very much like the black and white mono colors but I am really partial to the early 1900 Remington ads with full color graphics! Uuuuuuummmmm... ::tu:: ::super_happy::
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

A little junior unofficial R4233 scout for this thread .
Attachments
IMG_3884.JPG
IMG_3878.JPG
IMG_3880.JPG
IMG_3885.JPG
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
espn77

Post by espn77 »

WOW. That's something else!!!!
AREMINGTONSEDGE

::tu:: SK that is always a great looking knife to see. Puuurrrrty Sweet! Why do you think Remington place pinched bolsters on that particular pattern? Aside from aesthetic any reason a young scout would care? ::hmm:: ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Sub-collection in my Remington Collection:

I have written about these knives in another thread and at the time I thought there were only 5 in the series but have discovered a few more since then.
"The original set of 7 bandit knives were made by Camillus of Ireland who were under contract by Remington for sole distribution/circulation in Europe, exclusively. However upon the request of several executives from Remington it is reported that approximately 20 to 30 sets were sent to the USA for those eager executives, Al Russo,( Head of Marketing at Remington at that time) was one of those executives. This particular series was the "predecessor" to the Bandit series produced by Camillus USA for Remington in the late 1980s. A picture of the original series as well as editorial from Al Russo can be found on a PDF download from the Remington Collectors Club Newsletter on this subject."

The " Bandit Series" was authorized by Remington and produced by Camillus in the U.S.A. circa. mid to late 1980's. The variance in the scale logo shows the production locality and time frame of production regarding each Bandit series as well as minor material and design changes. One will find common pattern selection of these knives but seldom to find them all, must less as a set. ::nod:: ::tu::
Attachments
USA Remington Bandit Logo
USA Remington Bandit Logo
? Camillus Ireland Logo, This is a reproduction but has the same original logo to the best of my understanding and what I have seen.
? Camillus Ireland Logo, This is a reproduction but has the same original logo to the best of my understanding and what I have seen.
Back of USA Remington Package
Back of USA Remington Package
$_57[2].jpg (32.81 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
6 blade camp knife
6 blade camp knife
4 blade camp knife
4 blade camp knife
Small Peanut knife w/o bail
Small Peanut knife w/o bail
Large single blade trapper with bail
Large single blade trapper with bail
Double blade Barlow
Double blade Barlow
Small R5 lockback
Small R5 lockback
Large lockback
Large lockback
espn77

Post by espn77 »

The bandit knife is new info for me. Thanks Rocky. I just got my first C-5 catalog and a RH28 to go in a display. Pretty excited about that.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Attachments
IMG_20170126_151252375_HDR.jpg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Keith sounds good to me... the Remington RH hunting knives are another collection in a collection. This is one of many reasons I specifically collect Remington. I have a large collection of other major cutlery produced knives but I love the original Remington brand the most. So many diverse and beautiful knives to get caught up in. ::super_happy::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Awesome score Keith! Nice looking RH28 blade looks almost full and the handle looks in great shape from what I can see. Nice C-5 you'll get a lot of use out it I'm sure. ::tu::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Where you at Mike,(Scoutknives)??? I know you just got back from a knife show...Lets see some show and tell please! :lol: :wink: ::super_happy::
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

This is a three day show , still hear , I did pick up a few goodies and will post them when I get a chance ::super_happy::

AREMINGTONSEDGE wrote:Where you at Mike,(Scoutknives)??? I know you just got back from a knife show...Lets see some show and tell please! :lol: :wink: ::super_happy::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

LOL Mike, I didn't know. Looking forward to your post. 8)
mgdelpriore

Post by mgdelpriore »

I picked these up at smkw when I was In Tenn. last summer for the presidents tour.

Mike.
Attachments
P1000724.JPG
P1000725.JPG
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Thanks Mike, love the scales on that Moose pattern. Great looking knives. ::tu:: ::nod::

Do you know the exact years that SMKW was authorized to produce knives for Remington? ::hmm:: ::tu::
espn77

Post by espn77 »

AREMINGTONSEDGE wrote:Sub-collection in my Remington Collection:
Lately I've found my self going after Remington ammunition stuff to fill the top shelf of my big display case.
Attachments
IMG_20170129_153903336.jpg
IMG_20170129_153849961.jpg
IMG_20170129_153926441.jpg
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

espn77 wrote:
AREMINGTONSEDGE wrote:Sub-collection in my Remington Collection:
Lately I've found my self going after Remington ammunition stuff to fill the top shelf of my big display case.

I have had a shelf full of old ammunition, old BB's and different boxes, I have been slowly selling them off. Trying to cut back. Here is a old Remington piece I had forgotten about.

Harold
Attachments
img545.jpg
espn77

Post by espn77 »

That's a cool cleaning towel you have there Harold
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Keith your killing me! That is an amazing display case and you have a great variety of Remington products in your collection! I love it! Just awesome! ::drool:: ::tu:: :mrgreen:

Harold super cool buffing cloth! Would love to see more of your Remington collection! ::tu:: 8) ::super_happy::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Rocky, I agree with you! That is a great display case and filled with some great items!
Harold, you should have used that "ol' rag" to wrap those prizes that are on the way to Starvation Plantation :) .
I've got several Remington knives but sadly they are not old enough to be real Remingtons, Camillus I suspect :( .
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
mgdelpriore

Post by mgdelpriore »

Rocky, I'm pretty sure that those remingtons were made by Bear and sons. Smkw is a store that sells many brands of knives. I just bought them there.

Mike.
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Here is my only Remington score from the weekend.
Still could use some dusting off but otherwise in excellent condition .
Attachments
IMG_3931.JPG
IMG_3932.JPG
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I wish I could come across one of those. Very nice
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Phil it would be great for you to show and tell your Remington knives, please and thank you! ::nod::

Mike as far as SMKW that is what I thought, not really up to date on the full line of modern Remingtons. After Camillus closed I lost interest in the modern Remingtons in part due to the lack of quality and craftsmanship IMHO. ::dang::

Mike,(SK) I knew you'd come back with a dilly or two. Very nice and scarce to come by. ::nod:: 8) ::tu:: What else ya got for Show and tell? ::hmm:: :lol:

Keith, as an internet friend, thought that ya might want to know of the drool dripping down your chin so ya can wipe it off ::drool:: ...ooooohhhhh and if ya need help with hoistin' your jaw off the floor and puttin' you eyes back in their sockets I can help with that too. ::poke:: :lol: ::tu::
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks for the help Rocky. I'm so stinkin consumed with anything Remington. Every time a post is made of something I don't have "which is often around here" I think I need to find one of those. Lol. It's quite the cycle.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

All in fun Keith. Believe me when I tell ya I have and am consumed with Remington. Like you and others I want one, maybe two of everything. Original Remington products were of such great quality and demonstrated top of the line craftsmanship, how could anyone not get swept up in collecting? ::tu::

Mike does have a really nice piece! ::tu::

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”