Where Are All The Remington Knife Collectors?

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Where Are All The Remington Knife Collectors?

Post by Miller Bro's »

Rocky awesome old bullet knives! ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Ken, You know I can't say anything bad about a good Remington. Very nice collection you've got there. ::woot::

MB, Thank you as always for your kind response and any educational comments on the knives would be well appreciated. ::handshake::

Rocky
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
junebug

Post by junebug »

WOW :shock: , ROCK.........
SOME SWEET KNIVES,BRO 8) 8) ::tu::

WHAT GREAT SNAGS....... ::drool::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Thanks JB, saved up close to a year to buy a few older Rems and I'm pretty happy with what I was able to have. Time to save again ::mdm:: and then once more go for the gusto! ::ds:: Thanks, Rocky ::tu::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

One of the fairly new additions to my Remington collection of original production patterns. This one is a hefty girl at 4 1/2" closed. Remington R7833. This knife is a large pen pattern and shows with a spear and pen blade. Beautiful and flawless bone handles, crest shield,and pinch bolsters. Overall really great shape for her age! She's still snappin' in her walk and talk. As well her blades and half stop are solid.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Nice one! ::tu::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Thanks Mark! I have been remiss in sharing some of my Remingtons so I've got a little extra time and plan to post a few pictures a little more often. ::tu::
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Nice one Rocky, I posted a couple a few days back trying to jump start the Remington forum.
Not much activity on it.

Harold
AREMINGTONSEDGE

One more for the day...Remington bullet shield lock back pattern R1253 folding hunter. This knife is 5 1/4" closed with a long Sabre clip blade, beautiful stag/ bone handles and still has a clearly visible etch.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Harold are you talking about the Remington Jack you showed? if so it is a beautiful knife. ::tu::

OK all you Remington knife nuts... let's get this rollin' again! If anything it's a great catalog and reference guide for others who collect original Remington production knives. ::tu:: ::nod:: ::super_happy::
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Rocky thanks for showing the beautiful original R7833 and Bullet R1253! ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Rocky, beautiful, beautiful knives. True treasures! Thank you.
Joe
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Thanks gentlemen I appreciate the positive feedback. More to come. ::tu:: ::handshake::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

One of todays show and tell offerings. Remington Pen Knife Delux RG7069/2 substantial layer of 12k white gold, hand engraved watch chain fob. ::nod::
Attachments
P5080014 (2).JPG
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Second show and tell offering. Variations of the Remington R019 leg or boot knife. Nickel silver handles, Closed at 3 1/4".
Attachments
P5080020.JPG
wlf

Post by wlf »

What I have.

The R4643 has a faint etch.
Attachments
Remington R 4702  582.jpg
Remington R4702 black comp moose843.jpg
Remington R4702 black comp moose844.jpg
Remington R4643    850 (4).jpg
Remington R4643   845 (1).jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Lyle, awesome showing of the stockman and moose patterns. I like those a lot and they look to be in great shape! Look to be from the mid 1920's to early 1930's. Really nice pieces for any collection, I am very partial to the R4702 moose pattern! Thanks for posting them. ::tu:: ::nod:: ::drool::
wlf

Post by wlf »

Two more..
Attachments
Remington 1128   721 (3).jpg
Remington 1128    727 (4).jpg
Remington R3853  554.jpg
Remington R3853  557.jpg
Remington R3853  558.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Dang it Lyle, that there is some hummmmmm dingerrrrrrrssss! ::super_happy:: I like that R1128 but that Warncliffe R3853 is amazing and pretty rare to see in such great shape. Wow really nice showings! ::tu::
wlf

Post by wlf »

I think Pal put these together Rocky. I have seen 3 marked the same. I have two of them,one looks a lot like the bone Pal used. They are a mystery,all 3 were marked R4633.
Attachments
Remington  R4633  549 (2).jpg
Remington  R4633  553 (3).jpg
Remington R4633 etch172.jpg
Remington R4633 etch167.jpg
Remington R4633 etched.jpg
Remington  R4633 cream bone 438 (3).jpg
Remington R4633 etch173.jpg

Lyle
wlf

Post by wlf »

Thanks Rocky,the farmers jacks are what I collect.

First the other R4633. When I first saw it it was sold on ebay,then in a Morphy's auction. I don't know where it's at now.I'd like to add it to the collection. I grin. It sold for about $60 on eBay,don't know why I didn't buy it,except it had no snap.I don't care now,I did then.

I think you'll like this one.

Last,but not least,the exact knife in Sargent's book. I asked him in Lexington.

I am not a Remington collector,just ran into these along the way in pursuit of farmers jacks.

Finis
Attachments
REMINGTON R4633 KNIFE REPAIR3 (3).jpg
Remington French ivory etched145.jpg
Remington French ivory etched146.jpg
Remington French ivory etched140.jpg
Remington French ivory etched141.jpg

Lyle
AREMINGTONSEDGE

I have a lot to say on this Lyle... The R4633 is a stock man pattern. However give me a few minuets and I'll give ya what I know. ::tu::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

This is where a lot of folks get lost in what is production original knives and what has been reworked knives selling for the original knife pattern. When PAL Cutlery bought the Remington cutlery factory in 1940 they had the use of factory equipment by right of purchase to manufacture their cutlery. What they did not have was patented logo rights to the use of the Remington's logo, thus they could not make knives with Remington tang stamps. It is possible as in any situation that lunch box knives were made during Remington's production years but unlikely during PAL's production years due to not having the stock material to do so. Remington was adamant concerning this due to Remington's committent in upholding their lifetime warranties and with regard to potential patent infringements. The answer... when DuPont was the leading share holder of Remington's cutlery divisioin production and more importantly, when they were facing The Great Depression and a Nation's struggling economy, DuPont mandated certain cost saving measures to cut overhead and production cost in order to save a defaulting cutlery division. I wrote about this in part in an article for Knife World and on the Remington Society of America web site . One of the many strategies implemented was the use of on hand "shelf stock" and other materials already manfactured to complete production demands on knife patterns. Remington's quality was never compromised but the use of "stock" blades to complete production demands meant some patterns could have had stamps, no stamps, ink stamps or different production year stamping than the pattern originally required. The blades themselves were correct for the pattern and it's blade configuration demand.
Possibly this is the case with the warncliffe. The R4633 stockman has the spay blade as does the warncliffe R3853. It is highly possible this occurred. Yes even the blades with specific year tang stamps were interchanged. As you may know tang stamps were used in such a way that you could tell what year the knife was produced, but that got more ambiguous during the later production years.
To tell what is what, a collector has to be very savey in studying the rest of the knife to verify it's originality verses it being a reworked or fake knife. ::nod::

Lastly, great looking knives! I'm a big fan of that Remington warncliffe and as well that moose pattern! Beautiful...
wlf

Post by wlf »

Thanks Rocky.

Wish I could put 'em in your hands.I don't know where that blade came from.As far as I can tell,frames are right,as is the bone on two of 'em.Stamps also look good. May be from some parts and restamped with stamp available,they sure look authentic in respect to Remington parts.But I don't claim authority to anything.

::shrug:: ::shrug:: Mysteries.

Lyle
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Your welcome Lyle. I don't claim to be an authority on much but I have studied this area quite a bit and feel comfortable in my statements. Many, many variations in Remington's later production years. These production modifications are well documented by Remington and other Remington enthusiast when you do the research. ::nod:: ::tu::

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”