Remington Photos

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Remington Photos

Post by TripleF »

This just arrived........

RS 4233
Attachments
remington RS 4233 Scout Knife Bone Handle 005.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Cool knife, Scott. Just ain't no way to go wrong with them boney handles ::tu:: ::tu::
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
Blademan13

Post by Blademan13 »

Sorry for the crappy pic, here is a group of pearl whittlers.
Attachments
image.jpg
remington collector

Post by remington collector »

Those pearls sure are nice. ::tu:: ::tu::
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Just received this Remington R563. I have a thing for the acorn shields.
Attachments
IMG_0899 copy.jpg
IMG_0904.JPG
IMG_0900.JPG
IMG_0908 copy.jpg
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

I have only two to show.

NEHI Leg Knife, c. 1930
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
Electrician's knife. The only example that I have seen where the master and screwdriver blades open from opposite ends, with bolsters and caps, or would both be considered bolsters. Model R4548, c. 1930
100_0697.JPG
100_0698.JPG
100_0701.JPG
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Beautiful old electrician.
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

RalphAlsip wrote:Just received this knife - it is a Remington Bulldog and advertised in the HTT magazine. ObsidianEdge (Mike) posted pictures of his knife and the magazine advertisement a couple of pages earlier in this thread.

The knife feels right and the bone is the traditional and beautiful Remington bone from the era when this knife was produced. It operates easily, the blade is tight, and it snaps solidly both ways.

The blade gives me a little concern when I compare it to the picture from the magazine. The tang stamp is missing on my knife and the blade does not appear to be polished. I couldn't readily see the tang stamp on Mike's example either, but the tang stamp in the magazine picture is prominent. Also, the etch on my blade appears to be lower than both Mike's example and the magazine picture.

I realize these knives were made by hand and there will be normal variations.

Does anyone see any reasons to be concerned about this knife?
My only concern is that you have it and I don't. lol Great bone on that one and a fine looking knife, if it is original or not.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Here is a nice little cattle knife Remington R3153.
Attachments
Remington R3153 Front.jpg
Remington R3153 Back.jpg
Remington R3153 Front Closed.jpg
Remington R3153 Back Closed.jpg
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Way nice Cattle knife. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

Harold
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

T.J. that is a beautiful electrician knife and "any" Remington electrician is hard to come by, I have been looking for a while. If you every decide to let it go please keep me in mind, I would give it a great home. A great example for sure! Love the locking mechanism on the screwdrive/wire stripper. As always, love the "original" Nehi leg knife! As you know the market is flooded with fakes and not often do you get to see the real deal. Nice indeed. :mrgreen: ::tu::

Ralph, what can I say... that is an exceptional and beautiful knife! Those cattleman knives are awesome. The scales, blades, etching, everything on that knife looks fantastic! You must be very excited to have that in your collection, I would! :mrgreen:Thanks very much for the look-see. ::nod:: ::tu::
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Drooling over some pretty sweet Remington folders. ::drool::

I spotted this red, white & blue handled jack in an auction lot recently and thought $25 wasn't a bad price for a looksy. The blades are a little rough but have surprising snap, including half-stops. I've only seen scouts in this handle material so I kept my fingers crossed that it wasn't a foreign made knife. I'm guessing it might be an R755 from information in Sargent's 4th Edition, or an R775 variation. Can't quite make out a pattern number (yet). Slight wobble on the main spear blade but the covers are in pretty decent shape. Might get some patriotic pocket time! :mrgreen:
Attachments
1418432873015.jpg
1418432879257.jpg
1418432893801.jpg
1418432906304.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Red Rider that is an interesting knife. I think this is an R745 related to the spear and pen blade. The R 755 and the R775 both have clip blades. Not sure that the scales are original. It is a cool knife never the less. It may have been a special order knife. I like it! 8) ::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks for the info and kind words, Rocky. ::handshake::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Here is a Remington R7833. Does anyone know why this is referred to as an "Anglo-Saxon" pattern? It is fairly large at 4 1/2 inches.

I would also be grateful for opinions about how the shield is attached. It is way more noticeable in the pictures than in hand, but there looks to be excessive filler material around the edges of the shield. Wondering if the shield maybe a repair?

Except for the shield and missing blade etch, everything else about the knife is in nice condition for its age.
Attachments
R7833 Closed Front and Back copy.jpg
R7833 Front Open.jpg
R7833 Back Open.jpg
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

RA If it is original it should be pined on. You should be able to open all blades and see pin with a light on
inside of the liner. Might need to wipe inside with a rag to see. Hope all is right with the knife.

Harold
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Ralph,
The Remington R7833 should have a pinned shield. Take a soft tooth brush and some dish soap with hot water and give the shield a brush or two. This should take out the accumulated dirt and grime from the years of use. Harold is correct to look inside for indication of pinning. If you don't see it, it has been glued on. Remington's standard cutlery comittment of practice was to pin their shields on a knife that required one.

This knife should have brass linings and 18% nickel silver shield, and bolsters.

The catalogs, jobber's price listing and other research materials indicate that the circa is 1924 to 1933 based on the tang stamp and appears correct related to catalogs and listings from 1929 and onward. I do not find it listed in earlier materials.

Should have a Large spear blade and small spey blade. The Remington knives past and present by Stewart and Ritchie list it having a small "pen" blade which according to the Remington catalogs and related documents reports this as being incorrect.

Yours blade looks to be correct and appears more of a spey blade than pen even though it has light wear. The blades were originally Crocus polished and main blade was etched,( 2E ).

As far as it being called an "Anglo-Saxon" pattern this is new to me, I know it as a " Sleeveboard Pen" or "Pen" pattern. Where did you gather that information? I know where The term Anglo-Saxon comes from and how and why it was used through history but do not know how it relates to this knife pattern.

( My guess is... it may relate to the clip or pinched bolsters, the shape of the knife and or the use of a "spear" main blade. ::shrug:: )

Your knife is beautiful and unique. I believe it is original with possible exception to the shield,( I also believe you will find this to be original and correct once said and done). Great find and great look-see! ::tu::

Lets see what Remington Collector has to say. ::nod::
junebug

Post by junebug »

RALPH...........VERY NICE KNIFE!!!! 8)
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Here's a similar one in ebony made by Winchester marked 2679. Seems funny that the two companies made such unusual and similar versions of a knife (4 9/16" closed).
Attachments
unnamed (2).jpg
AREMINGTONSEDGE

MS,
Not surprised at the similarities in craftsmanship or patterns. Winchester Arms Company and Remington Arms Company both began their cutlery production around 1919 after the end of WW1 in 1918. Both had been in production of firearms and we're looking to fill or take advantage of the failing European market in knife production and demands. This due to the negative U.S. sentiment toward Germany and other European Allied countries after WW1. Like Remington, Winchester sought out and aquired some of the great European cutlers to hand craft and design their knives. These cutlers shared common craftsmanship and designs in their trade. It was said that some cutlers would leave one US company for another due to,"offers they could not refuse" from companies that offered higher pay or provided lifestyle perks that were too good to pass up. Remington was known for doing this as he was intent on producing the best knives in the industry and cornering the cutlery market.
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Here are a few old celluloid Remingtons I've picked up over the years, an R3245R a 3415 in near mint condition and an old 3665 with the scalloped bolsters:
Attachments
Remingtons.jpg
wornoutwrench

Post by wornoutwrench »

Love those bolsters!
Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.

Not all who disagree with wise men are fools.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Bumping the thread and showing some love to Remington...

Here are a couple of vintage R1253 Bullet variations. Esteemed AAPK member Wayne (btrwtr) helped me find the knife shown in the first 4 pictures. I believe this knife is a later version (i.e., closer to 1940) because the pattern number is inked on rather than stamped. This is the only bullet I have seen (so far) with an inked pattern number. I have a few other Remington non-bullets with inked pattern numbers. It is somewhat uncommon for the blade etch to say "master knife" instead of "Trademark". Although the blade is stained and spotted, it seems to have the original finish.
Remington R1253 Inked #1 small.jpg
Remington R1253 Inked #2 small.jpg
Remington R1253 Inked #3 small.jpg
Remington R1253 Inked #4 small.jpg
This next example is more typical, in my experience, of what is generally available in this pattern with regard to condition.
Remington R1253 Stamped #1 small.jpg
Remington R1253 Stamped #2 small.jpg
Remington R1253 Stamped #3 small.jpg
Remington R1253 Stamped #4 small.jpg
Thanks for looking
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Really nice old Bullets Jerry. I think I've seen the one with the inked pattern number. Happy you got it.

Harold
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Thanks Harold. You probably saw the inked R1253 at one of the Wanenmacher shows.

Going up the Remington Bullet Trapper pattern number scale, here is a Remington Bullet R1263. In my experience R1263's are less commonly available than the R1253's. The R1263 is pretty comparable in size and shape as the R1253 except the R1263 has 2 blades: a master clip and a secondary pen. Thanks for looking.
Attachments
Remington R1263 #1 small.jpg
Remington R1263 #2 small.jpg
Remington R1263 #3 small.jpg
Remington R1263 #4 small.jpg

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”