What color is my XX6254

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

What color is my XX6254

Post by stockman »

I would love for it to be Red Bone, but I think not. What is your opinion?

Harold
Attachments
img567.jpg
img568.jpg
313 Mike

Re: What color is my XX6254

Post by 313 Mike »

It certainly looks red to me! I am no expert, but I don't think Case was officially labeling bone colors during that period...and there were lots of variations and shades and depths of colors that were just called "bone"....so if it looks red, and to my eyes yours does, then red it is.
Just my opinion...
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

Never ending question, the values double for the color red. If you have to ask I always figure meet in the middles

If you're selling its red, if you're buying it's bone lol

to me there is red bone, just about everything has red tint, almost safe to say brown bone is more scarce :)

But then there is TRUE red. You will know it when you see it. It's solid in color consistency and it's blood red. No white, no yellow, no orange.

Just my opinion, fine knife you got there
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Highly subject one's personal interpretation of course. That said I've seen strawberry red, blood red,etc. Red is red with different shades. I personally don't interpret it outside of the defined color spectrum. And of course both sides need to match handle to handle. I personally rarely see very true Redbone knives but I tend to be a stickler.
As to the knife that you posted Harold, looks to me to be late XX case bone. Anything with white accents I call pretty bone personally. Don't give me wrong, I personally think it's the most beautiful bone the Case ever made. The reason I said late XX is because you see a lot of USA knives with the white accent. Stunning handles in my opinion. Personally, I think that would be worth more book value than a Redbone knife if I was buying it. But not technically Case red bone in my opinion.
My two cents, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

zp4ja wrote:Highly subject one's personal interpretation of course. That said I've seen strawberry red, blood red,etc. Red is red with different shades. I personally don't interpret it outside of the defined color spectrum. And of course both sides need to match handle to handle. I personally rarely see very true Redbone knives but I tend to be a stickler.
As to the knife that you posted Harold, looks to me to be late XX case bone. Anything with white accents I call pretty bone personally. Don't give me wrong, I personally think it's the most beautiful bone the Case ever made. The reason I said late XX is because you see a lot of USA knives with the white accent. Stunning handles in my opinion. Personally, I think that would be worth more book value than a Redbone knife if I was buying it. But not technically Case red bone in my opinion.
My two cents, Jerry
Jerry it is a 1st model.

Harold
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Agree with above...it's red-dish, but not Redbone. Very pretty, regardless ETA stock photo
Attachments
Redbone.jpg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

SteelMyHeart85420 wrote:Agree with above...it's red-dish, but not Redbone. Very pretty, regardless ETA stock photo
Now that's red. But it's nothing like XX era red bone.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

I think the Term "RED BONE" should only be used in the XX variation, and the VERY RARE tested variation (that's debatable)

anything past that may be called red, cherry and what not, but of course when it comes to book value, there either bone, stag or what ever other material. color wasn't otherwise differentiated,

As for any modern case folders, I feel color has ZERO basis to VALUE. only the limited runs and what not, of course those may happen to be a certain color or design.

hope I'm not confusing anyone.

I do love some cherry xx knives. But a big reason I love greenbone and rough black so much, its because it IS or ISNT. no real "interpretation" except for a few questionable GREENBONE claims.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

stockman wrote:I would love for it to be Red Bone, but I think not. What is your opinion?

Harold
Very nice knife, Harold. I am not knowledgeable enough to really have an opinion as to whether it is Red Bone, but I know what I like and I like that!

This is an interesting discussion. If I were selling a knife I would not advertise it as Red Bone because I do not think I could ever be positive. Pretty much the same way I feel about Rogers Bone!
Mel
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Thanks to all who replayed, To me it is not what the collectors call red bone. I do have a couple that is.

Harold
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

stockman wrote:Thanks to all who replayed, To me it is not what the collectors call red bone. I do have a couple that is.

Harold
Harold
I agree with you about that beautiful trapper. I'm sure everyone would love to take a gander at your true red bones.
Gary
Listen with your eyes, it's the only way you can believe what you hear.
specgrade

Post by specgrade »

It looks like Chestnut to me ::shrug::
Tucool

Post by Tucool »

i'm going to go with red bone with out a doubt, I will say only on pre 70s knives.( just my opinion) ::tu::
Brett.

West Aussie Case Collector.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”