Help identifying this Case Tested XX

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Kloe's human

Help identifying this Case Tested XX

Post by Kloe's human »

Any info on this would help, the model? From the stamp it's 1920's-1940's? Single blade then on the bottom is a small file, the file is too aggressive to be for nails IMO, no other case markings other then on the blade.
Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0442.JPG
IMG_0447.JPG
IMG_0450.JPG
IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0456.JPG
IMG_0459.JPG
IMG_0460.JPG
Kloe's human

Re: Help identifying this case

Post by Kloe's human »

Anyone???
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help identifying this Case Tested XX

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Case made a lot of patterns that are not documented in reference books. I haven't seen one of these before that I recall, and don't find it in any references, at least not from the Case Tested era. There's a similar looking knife, with bone handles, 2-5/8 inches closed length, in Sargent's 7th edition in the Case Bradford section, page 122. Sargent's calls it a 6201R pattern. If it's the same pattern, yours with imitation pearl handles would be a 9201R.

However, same pattern number 9201R from Tested era is shown to be a 2-5/8 inch slim equal end, having two pen blades. ::shrug:: Different shaped knife.

As for the blade you're asking about, looks to me like a manicure blade with perhaps a shortened tip.

Maybe someone else will be more help. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Kloe's human

Post by Kloe's human »

Thanks, at least it's a start, I really don't think that the file was shortened, seems to have factory lines to me. But I'm no expert by any means
Kloe's human

Post by Kloe's human »

Either way I'm happy with my find. I have all of $20 into it so I'm not out anything. I just liked it and hoped to find out more about it.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

By the way, forgot to mention the unusual font on the tang stamp. Don't think I've seen that before either.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Kloe's human

Post by Kloe's human »

Do you think possible a fake? I thought it looked good to me, but again, no expert here
Kloe's human

Post by Kloe's human »

From what I have found it matches 1920-1940 stamps
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Kloe's human wrote:Do you think possible a fake? I thought it looked good to me, but again, no expert here
Sorry, I didn't intend to suggest it is fake. The knife appears to be of the right age for the Case Tested stamping, and it's not a pattern you typically see counterfeited. If you only gave $20 for it, that's another sign it's likely authentic. Doubtful anybody would counterfeit it for $20.

It's just the font used, with the arched extensions on the letter E, plus the little curved marks on the ends of the letters. I haven't seen a mark like that before. That's not an indication it can't be right - there's a lot I haven't seen.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable will comment.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Kloe's human

Post by Kloe's human »

Well thanks for all of your input so far, at least it's more then what I could come up with
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I think the pattern # is 92101 R
Attachments
Case_Catalog_30.jpg
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Kloe's human

Post by Kloe's human »

I think you hit the nail on that! Thanks
beau5278

Post by beau5278 »

I have a copy of Counterfeiting Antique Cutlery and I don't see that stamp anywhere in there that looks like that one. I sure find it hard to believe anyone would fake a $20 knife but I can't find a circle C stamp that uses a C,A or E like those.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”