Blade material discussion

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Stakeknife

Blade material discussion

Post by Stakeknife »

Could we have a discussion about the differant case blade materials and the benefits of each? Is one more desirable than another? I found the case college site that lists them. Interesting they make so many.
NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject. Our forefathers knew this to be true..... Why do so many of us question their wisdom?
XxTestedxX

Re: Blade material discussion

Post by XxTestedxX »

Seems carbon is or "CV" is the most desired, its more traditional. builds nice patina (if you let it)

SS is long lasting, rust resistant and to the common folk, sounds the best.

154-CM/ATS-34.. I believe this is about as premium as Case gets, found on a few case selects, special runs and the Tony Bose Collabs.

just my 2 cents
Reid

Post by Reid »

XX Pretty much covered it. Try a CV knife and let us know what you think. They are very easy to sharpen. However, you will get a few spots. I have a user in all three blade materials. The SS blades are much harder to sharpen.
Stakeknife

Post by Stakeknife »

I like the CV steel too I have a muskrat and a peanut on the way. Really impressed with the case quality.
NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject. Our forefathers knew this to be true..... Why do so many of us question their wisdom?
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

For me I can get the same edge on either CV or SS . Humidity is the key CV is carried in the winter SS in the hot and humid wheather ::hmm:: the yellows are CV the blacks are in SS
Attachments
image.jpeg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Reid

Post by Reid »

Garddog,
I will send you my SS blades to sharpen - ha. ::super_happy::
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

:lol: :lol: Guttch ya Reid ::tu:: for me 22 degrees work well even on my 440c and 420 hc Bucks ::nod:: shaving sharp,I will say the edge last longer on the 440c.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

garddogg56 wrote::lol: :lol: Guttch ya Reid ::tu:: for me 22 degrees work well even on my 440c and 420 hc Bucks ::nod:: shaving sharp,I will say the edge last longer on the 440c.
I think you're on to something there Dogg. In my experience, I like closer to 17° or so on my carbon steel knives. But I don't think MOST stainless can go to that low a degree and maintain their edge holding ability. At least the ones I've tested.

I also agree that the 440c does hold a better edge than the 420.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

You are right Colonel,even on my Bucks 22degrees is pushing it ::hmm:: I tried 20 degrees definitely a no go.SS Is brittle.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”