HELP Case XX BullDog 5172 ID for Year

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Btheman

HELP Case XX BullDog 5172 ID for Year

Post by Btheman »

I got this knife a while back. I have been trying to find out what year is was made. I have looked through a few different site and can not find it. I found where you compare the "Case" stamp and I do not see it how it is stamped on this one. Any info/help would be great. I added a couple pics. Thank you.
Attachments
attachment.php.jpg
BullDog.jpg
DSC03642.JPG
BIGHEAD

Re: HELP Case XX BullDog 5172 ID for Year

Post by BIGHEAD »

A close up of the mark side tang stamp would make it easy to tell.
That knife appears to be a Case not a Case Classic from what I can see.
If you can't get a good close up of the Tang stamp tell us exactly what is on the tang stamp and in what order and that will narrow it down.
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

If the mark side is stamped CASE over XX , it was made prior to 1965 . If it is stamped CASE XX over USA it was made in early 1965 (2nd issue / transition) .
Bob
Btheman

Post by Btheman »

On the tang its self, One side just says "Case" the other side has "5172" Here are the best pics I could get.
Attachments
DSC03668.JPG
DSC03670.JPG
DSC03671.JPG
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

Looking at your first picture it looks like it is probably a XX era knife prior to '65.
Open the blade partially and look closely and see if you see the top of any stamp below the Case stamp. There should be something the bolsters sometimes hide part of the stamp because the size and shape of the bolster.
Btheman

Post by Btheman »

I may see the top outside of the last "X" So if your saying pre 1965, does that make it one of the ones that people collect? I'm not a collecter, and wondering the value. I buy storage sheds at auctions and am always finding knives.
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

Yes it is collectable. Price wise not a huge amount. If it were Mint condition it would command a much better price.
The value of a knife is only what someone is willing to pay. I won't estimate a guess on yours( I will let someone else help you there). If I owned that knife I would make it a user as that it shows wear and has been used but doesn't appear to have been abused.
Btheman

Post by Btheman »

Ok thank you :D I have a bunch, some name brand some Walmart special. Been looking them up. Again Thanks for all your help.
Btheman

Post by Btheman »

Is there a good place to go look up, on how to clean and polish up the blade and the handle?
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

Most collectors think that polishing a knife makes it less valuable than leaving it as is. Maybe take some metal polish and hand clean it is all I would do to it.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”