1977 Blue Scroll W/Engraved Bolsters

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
wishful

Re: 1977 Blue Scroll W/Engraved Bolsters

Post by wishful »

TYCON66, I had 2 sets like the set I showed above. I sold one set for $1200 in the original wooden case. Gary
Life would be meaningless if we couldn't wish for anything.
TYCON66

Post by TYCON66 »

Yeah I would like to have the set. Probably will never find another deal like that. Might go back and try getting some info from the antique dealer as to where I might find the other knives in the set. Never know unless you ask.
DR_MAGOO

Post by DR_MAGOO »

Super nice blues. Case made some fixed blades at the same time. Did they have any with scrolling???
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hey Magoo,
There were 4 fixed blade knives in the set that I am aware of. All had the Blue Scroll etch as far as I know. Complete Set came with 8 folders and 4 fixed blades. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Here are two 1977' Engraved 5111-1/2LSSP knives I just picked up. The guy I bought from is sitting on 10 more, will be buying more of these. Only 1000 made and of course, from broken sets. Handpicked over the last 30 plus years. No wobble or slop whatsoever on these knives. Sick Stag!
Regards, Jerry
Attachments
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_mark side SN 028 and 682.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_pile side SN 028 and 682.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
wishful

Post by wishful »

Jerry, According to your post, apparently Case made 2 different blue scroll sets. One with folders and fixed blades, and one with folders only. I have 2 sets of the engraved folders (8 knives) in the original Case wooden case, but I have never seen the set with fixed blades included. I would like to see a set if anyone has one. I always assumed (dumb me) that the blue scroll fixed blades were a set by themselves, and I have seen those. Gary
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I call that honey stag. Sweeeeeeeeeeet as honey! ::ds::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

1967redrider wrote:I call that honey stag. Sweeeeeeeeeeet as honey! ::ds::
Thanks RR, really on a Stag kick lately. As far as CASE stag goes, there may have been an embargo or shortage in the 70s but some of the best CASE stag in my opinion across all eras was from this timeframe. And on a 11-1/2 frame, my weakness. Just bought another 77' 5111-1/2LSSP non engraved to go with the herd.

Wishful, I can only speak to what I have read. Sargents 7th, Tony Foster's yearly price guide and Pocket Trader #9, the info is ambiguous in my opinion. One thing that is consistent is that 19,000 non engraved and 1000 engraved sets were made. After that the waters get muddy. Both of Foster's references are for a set of 12, 8 folders and 4 fixed blades. It appears all the references I mentioned agree that 5000 sets of the 4 fixed blade knives were made. Since the numbers don't match as far as sets offered, I will assume that this fixed knife set was actually a "Blue Scroll Sub set", if you will. I don't think any of the fixed blade Blue Scrolls were engraved. Not totally 100% sure on what I have stated but best I can tell at this point with the reference material I have. Hopefully someone more knowledgable on this matter wil chime in.

BTW, there is another 10 dot Cheetah Proto floating around for sale. Just saw in a price list I got today. No dog in this fight so nothing in it for me. Haven't seen the knife but if it is what it is and I had 5 grand to spare to buy another example of this proto, I would.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
wishful

Post by wishful »

I have a near mint 1977 5111-1/2LSSP for sale also.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hey Wazu,
I just realized in reading your OP that I have the serial number brother 77' 5111-1/2LSSP Engraved Blue Scroll to your engraved 5347 and 5172. Serial number 028. Makes one wonder where they have been and where the rest are....

In addition to the non engraved 77' 5111-1/2LSSP I bought today, I pulled the trigger on another engraved one. More of a "dimply" stag one the pile side, still real sick as stag goes. Serial number 709. Will post when I get them. With only 1000 made, more rare than the 71' Cheetahs as far as quantities made. I will continue to buy them as long as my wallet holds up. The seller is a stand up guy who handpicked these knives. Really tight with absolutely no wobble or back to front play.

Regards, Jerry
Jamfish50

Post by Jamfish50 »

blue scroll has always been one of my favorites,but with engraved bolsters. Awesome-jamfish50
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Here is another 11-1/2 I picked up. Serial Number 709. Some real sick stag on this one...
Attachments
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_mark side SN 709.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_pile side SN 709.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_top view SN 709.jpg
timgreene48

Post by timgreene48 »

As always Jerry, your knives are outstanding! This is my set. It doesn't have engraved bolsters, but some of the nicest stag in my collection, Tim
Attachments
001.JPG
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hey Tim,

Thanks much for the compliment my friend! I just picked up another engraved 77' 11-1/2 I will post in a day or two. Couldn't find any for a full year and now I have four.

Awesome set Tim! Real pretty stag and the full set is sweet. I have 4 or 5 of the set on non-engraved blue scrolls. One of these days I will fill the set out. Real nice Tim! That 72 frame almost looks like white stag. Real nice.
By the way, nice clear pic, did you get a new camera?

Regards, Jerry
timgreene48

Post by timgreene48 »

Thanks Jerry, I know that my pics are not the greatest, but I appreciate the compliment.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Tim my friend, hope you don't think I was bagging on your previous pics. The one you posted was nice and clear of a pretty set. Just thought maybe you got a new camera. My pics are not the best, using a 8mp smart phone camera but it does ok.

Here is another 77' Blue Scroll engraved 5111-1/2LSSP I picked up. Some nice stag on this one also. SN# 554.

Jerry
Attachments
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_mark side_SN 554.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_pile side_SN 554.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_top view_SN 554.jpg
timgreene48

Post by timgreene48 »

Jerry, the stag on your 11 1/2s remind me of the type you see on usa's and 10 dots. It is a nice mellow amber and carmel fused with the black "bark". I love it! Also, Jerry,I meant no disrespect in my last post. I feel a little embarrassed when I post a pic because they are never as good as I would like them to be. IMO, I have some very nice stag knives, but I can't seem to to bring that out. thanks, Tim
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Tim! No offense taken my friend. I was concerned I might have offended you. It's all good Tim. No need to feel embarrassed. I remember when I joined the forum in March of last year, I was taking pics to post of some of the best knives in my collection with a crappy camera on my Blackberry. Some real bad pics but a nice knife will shine through the worst camera or pic.

Besides some of the older era CASE stag, the 70' era CASE stag is the nicest in my opinion. And given the stag embargo at that time, I personally think CASE was holding out and rat holeing their best stag and were forced to use it due to collector outcry/demand. If I recall correctly, you have quite a few beautiful examples of these 70's stag knives I am referring to. The 70's stag sets 1 and 2, 76' Razors Edge, 77' Blue Scroll have the nicest CASE stag in the companies history, in my opinion. One could argue that the other eras had great stag, which they did, I have seen and own several older beautiful CASE stag knives, but I personally am drawn to the CASE 70's stag.

Live well and Regards, Jerry
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Picked this one up last year. makes a total of 6 of the 1000 made that I now own.

This one is rather special as it does not have a serial number on it. Never seen one without a SN#. bought it off a Cheetah collector that has an award winning collection of CASE swing guards that he posted for about 5 seconds on ebay for 10,000 start bid. That collection was worth much more than that. He had a few proto also and this one. Not sure if it is a factory error or proto.

Jerry
Attachments
CASE 77' 5111-half LSSP Blue Scroll Engraved_no serial number_mark side.jpg
CASE 77' 5111-half LSSP Blue Scroll Engraved_no serial number_pile side.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

zp4ja wrote:Hey Magoo,
There were 4 fixed blade knives in the set that I am aware of. All had the Blue Scroll etch as far as I know. Complete Set came with 8 folders and 4 fixed blades. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Here are two 1977' Engraved 5111-1/2LSSP knives I just picked up. The guy I bought from is sitting on 10 more, will be buying more of these. Only 1000 made and of course, from broken sets. Handpicked over the last 30 plus years. No wobble or slop whatsoever on these knives. Sick Stag!
Regards, Jerry
Does anyone know if these engraved sets came with the 52033 or did they all have the 5233. I know they replaced the 5233 with the 52033 in about 20 percent of the regular sets but I don't know if that pertained to the engraved sets as well.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Whitetailcaseman01

Post by Whitetailcaseman01 »

I Just aquired the set of 8 ,1977 blue scroll Stag folding knives with Engraved bolsters all with s/n of 025 on each one of them.Honestly looking for someone who could tell me what value these have on the knife collecting market today.I also have the cardboard box they came in with s/n 025 on end of box.All knives are mint with factory edges. THANKS.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”