Barnum & Baileys Circus knife?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
maschmi

Barnum & Baileys Circus knife?

Post by maschmi »

We have found ourselves with a Winchester knife (4" blade) that is engraved with Barnum & Baileys Circus on the blade. Has anyone ever seen something like this? Barnum & Bailey Circus was purchased by Ringling Bros. in 1907 and run as faux competition well into the late 19-teens. To our knowledge, the circus in question has NEVER been known as "Barnum & Baileys Circus", but Barnum & Bailey Circus.

If there is a chance that an expert out there might have a sense of what this knife is or a lead as to why the altered name, we would be thrilled.

Thanks!
Attachments
knife01.jpg
knife02.jpg
Iron Hoarder

Re: Barnum & Baileys Circus knife?

Post by Iron Hoarder »

I've got a Case XX Throwing knife. That says it. I think there is an S on Baily. The picture isn't so great. Maybe the etcher just screwed up and added an S

I measure my collection by the ton.
Whoever dies with the most tools wins......Now accepting donations.
maschmi

Post by maschmi »

Our knife was given to us under the pretense of being a "canvasman's knife" of a particular vintage, but considering the non-traditional spelling of Bailey as "Baileys", it has given us some pause. If this knife is the real deal, it would have to be at least pre-1919, but most likely pre-1907. Considering the exacting detail of the circus' brand (i.e. the lithographs, heralds, and couriers), I find it hard to believe that someone would screw up an engraving for what must have been a large number of knives (of which, only this example has ever been heard of).

What is this thing?
Iron Hoarder

Post by Iron Hoarder »

It looks like a traditional fixed blade rope knife that is commonly found over here in a set with a marlin spike and pair of pliers.
I measure my collection by the ton.
Whoever dies with the most tools wins......Now accepting donations.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”