Case 63039 Sowbelly

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Spectrum

Case 63039 Sowbelly

Post by Spectrum »

I hope this is the correct place to post this. I started collecting knives in the early 1990's when Smoky Mountain Knifeworks started sending me catalogs. I bought one of the Case Classic series ( #63039) and put it away along with some Camillus and Remington knives I bought.
A couple of years ago I found the box with this knife in it and decided to find out what it might be worth. I joined another forum and was told that the knife was actually made by Queen Cutlery ( I know- big controversy). No one had any idea what it might be worth at the time. I started buying Queen knives and they all have pleased me very much. I wish I had bought dozens of these when they were first sold.
Attachments
Case 63039-1.jpg
Case 63039-2.jpg
Case 63039-Box.jpg
gmusic

Re: Case 63039 Sowbelly

Post by gmusic »

It is a Case "Classic" for sure, and yes, made by Queen. I'll take a guess and say around 60-70 bucks, but I will check my book. The book doesn't mean a thing though!

Best gage of value/worth (unfortunately) is ebay.

Update: The book says 175, reduce that by 50% you got 80-90 bucks........... Most book values (for any knife) are inflated by 35-55%. Some knives will go for 100% of book value. A number of factors play into that, popularity, manufacture, pattern, era, economy, the list goes on and on.
http://www.musicmadeknives.com

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

Please feel free to contact any mod or admin with concerns.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Thanks for checking. I had a table at a gun show in 2001 and brought this knife along with some others and had a $39.00 price tag on it. It didn't sell but a nice older gentleman told me that he was a Case collector and had over 400 knives in his collection. He advised me that it was worth $65.00 and he was probably right at the time.
At that same show I sold several knives that later increased in value greatly when Schrade and then Camillus went out of business, but who could've known?
A young father stopped at my table with his son and daughter who were around 9 and 7 respectively. The kids had their own money and chose items very carefully. The boy bought a Leatherman Micro-tool and the girl bought a small Schrade Scrimshaw lockback that had a squirrel engraving on the scales. I'll bet she still has it.
deanmm56

Post by deanmm56 »

Spectrum,

There were 208 of those beauties made under license agreement with Case. Yes, Queens Cutlery made them for Blue Grass Cutlery and Jim Parker.
The knife is worth a tad more than 60.00, especially to a Case Classic collector. Book value says 175, I paid about 65 % of that a year or so ago mainly because I WANTED one for my collection. Ebay prices are a little soft right now, maybe after tax time they might pick up a little.

You've got a nice collector's piece there !!!!

Dean
Dean M. Morron

email : deanm56@aol.com

ebay as : deanm56635w

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”