Most Difficult Patterns

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Handlewithcare

Most Difficult Patterns

Post by Handlewithcare »

All,
I was wondering what you have found to be the most difficult patterns to locate in your experience with this brand. A top three would be great.

Thanks
keithw

Re: Most Difficult Patterns

Post by keithw »

This is an interesting topic.
The pattern that I've never seen (or that I can remember :lol: ) is an older barlow.
There's a few newer ones floating around.
I have an older Fan Brand barlow, but I've never seen an Eye Brand.

Another is a whittler (3-blade).
There's lots of newer ones, but I can't remember seeing an old one.

Thanks,
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Keith,
Maybe some of the guys can help us here but I m not a bit sure there was an older Barlow pattern. Whittlers are out there, you just gotta find 'em. I ran one a while back on the bay but I think it was my last one. They sell pretty good.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
HiPower

Post by HiPower »

the whittler i remember best was in black bone & was quite robust.a real treat was that the back springs were tapered to meet in the frame. no spacer. HiPower
HiPower
Handlewithcare

Post by Handlewithcare »

Can someone post a photograph of a Whittler?
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Here are some I found in my files.

Ray
Attachments
Eye Brand Whittler .jpg
Eye Brand Whittler from Dennis .jpg
Eye Brand Whittler, 324239403 .JPG
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

Answering Mark's first question, a few of my top 3 most difficult to find would be:

1. Extra Large 6 in. Trapper in bone handles.
2. Two blade parallel budding knife
3. Yellow and White handle Melon Tester's

I think there are a few out there but it takes some real digging to find them.

As to the barlows, I found one with a "straight line" Schlieper stamp with black wood handles, and another one in nice bone handles with the C.Schlieper stamp plus an Eye etched on the bolster.

Joe D.
Attachments
Eye Brand Barlows.JPG
Handlewithcare

Post by Handlewithcare »

EyeBJoe, what era do you think that lower Barlow is from? The one with the eye on the bolster?
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

Handlewithcare, I am unable to be very specific as to the vintage of the bone handled barlow. I purchased the knife from Mark Cruse in the late 1980's in a grouping of knives that he allowed me to purchase as additions to my collection. A few of the knives in the group, including the barlow, were knives that Schlieper in Germany had sent to Cruse as possibilities for adding to the import line of products. For reasons unknown the barlow did not make the cut. My best guess and opinion is that it is a 1970's knife and would have made a great addition. I, also, would be interested in other specific info. from the group. There just aren't that many Schlieper barlows out there.
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

Figured I'd revive the topic...unfortunately, I've found no info concerning Schlieper barlows...definitely something I've never seen until I seen the pics Mr.Dobbs posted. Those are extremely nice pieces!
I do happen to have the big brother of jacks though...6" bone trapper...a massive pocket knife. Of course, this one is a little easier to determine its age being the date year is on the blade...and after a little internet research I've discovered it was 1 of 450...this one being #440.
My inquiry is, was this 6" pattern exclusively produced in '86...or was there multiple years it was released. Either way, it's one of my favorites. Pictures really don't do it justice...I mean, when you have this knife in hand...well, it's simply a lot of knife!

Perry
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Perry

When the knife your grandfather/father carried or put up is handed down to you...treasure it...open it up from time to time...and by all means, keep it!
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

Great Knife, prairiedog. My memory (always subject to qualifications.......) is that Mark Cruse commissioned this knife as a one time limited edition run of 450 in 1986. At the knife shows in Texas of the day, Mark was being encouraged to produce a limited edition knife as it seemed that every other knife manufacturer was doing the same. The knife was a revival of the largest trappers that were part of the line of knives in the 50's and 60's. This pattern and size remains one of my favorite Eye Brands. The older examples are very difficult to locate. Nice find.

Joe D.
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

Thanks Mr.Dobbs...I bet the old ones are real lookers! I have the big stockman from that era...and I think I recall seeing the big copperhead...but I've yet to see the trapper.
Perry

When the knife your grandfather/father carried or put up is handed down to you...treasure it...open it up from time to time...and by all means, keep it!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Here's my whittler. It's hard to make out the blade etch now with the patina, but it's a two eye etch with an eye stamped on the tang if every blade.

Dad bought it used in the very early 80's or late 70's. It originally had Christmas tree celluloid scales and they started gassing out so I had Glennbad put some real nice red stag on it. Best I can figure it's from the 70's.

This is Glennbad's photo. It's better than mine.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (57.02 KiB) Viewed 4068 times
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

Nice knife Colonel...always wondered if anyone had experienced gassing handles with Eye brand. I recall someone in a previous topic mentioning the instability of the Christmas tree handles....and EyeBJoe also has shown an example just recently of gassing handles. Regardless, the red stag was an excellent choice for replacement.
By the way, what part of Ky are you from??? I'm about 80 miles south of Louisville near Rough River...BigBlueNation!
Perry

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Thanks Prariedog! Yeah the bolsters and shield had started to discolor and the scales were shrinking. I knew if I didn't do something it'd eat the rest of the knife. Thankfully there was no damage to the blades or liners.

I know where Rough River is! I used to pastor a church over in Grayson County near Canneyville. I'm a life long Barren County boy myself, just west of Glasgow.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

Colonel, What a coincidence...I'm from Grayson Co...Leitchfield to be exact...heck, we're practically neighbors! ::tu::

PerryWayne
Perry

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Howdy neighbor! You ever go to jockey day in Leitchfield? I like to go when u can. We ought to meet up over there someday.
Robert E. Lee

Return to “European-made knives”